The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bumblebea77
Ofc it is! those are better stats than mine and Im a 1st year! where were you thinking of applying?

Honestly I'm not too bothered, haven't looked at anywhere yet, where ever would take me tbh, if I had the choice though I would probably choose Bristol, where do you study? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone!
I've finished my personal statement and made 3/4 choices...
I'm unsure about the 4th, i want to stay in London so I was thinking of King's
My stats:
GCSE: 6A*s 4As B (I've done them in five months so they're not amazing)
AS: AAAAA
A2: I think A*A*A*A (prediction)
Personal statement pretty strong ( That's what they've told me)
UKCAT: it was so bad 660 average and Band 2
Is it too risky applying to King's? what about the extended degree?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mithi98
Hi everyone!
I've finished my personal statement and made 3/4 choices...
I'm unsure about the 4th, i want to stay in London so I was thinking of King's
My stats:
GCSE: 6A*s 4As B (I've done them in five months so they're not amazing)
AS: AAAAA
A2: I think A*A*A*A (prediction)
Personal statement pretty strong ( That's what they've told me)
Is it too risky applying to King's? what about the extended degree?

What's your UKCAT?
Original post by Gogregg
What's your UKCAT?

I'm so worried about my UKCAT score and that's why I forgot to mention it.
I did so badly in it... I got 660 average Band 2 :frown:
Original post by mithi98

Low UKCAT? Apply to Bristol - only 10% of your score is UKCAT and there is no threshold score.
Original post by mithi98
I'm so worried about my UKCAT score and that's why I forgot to mention it.

That's not a bad score :h:

I think it will be a definite risk, but, Kings are quite holistic and the rest of your application is quite good, so it may be overlooked.

I'm guessing you'll also be applying to Barts, ICL and UCL? If you are, then you should also consider SGUL, since you are almost guaranteed an interview there I think, if their cut-off doesn't raise by too much (perhaps wait until Friday when averages will hopefully be released?)

In the end, it's up to you as to whether you want to take that risk or not, but it may also be a good idea to apply to another non-London university, but if you are completely against that, then I'd understand that completely and say, go for it! :h:
Original post by Gogregg
That's not a bad score :h:

I think it will be a definite risk, but, Kings are quite holistic and the rest of your application is quite good, so it may be overlooked.

I'm guessing you'll also be applying to Barts, ICL and UCL? If you are, then you should also consider SGUL, since you are almost guaranteed an interview there I think, if their cut-off doesn't raise by too much (perhaps wait until Friday when averages will hopefully be released?)

In the end, it's up to you as to whether you want to take that risk or not, but it may also be a good idea to apply to another non-London university, but if you are completely against that, then I'd understand that completely and say, go for it! :h:

Thank you for your advice! You're right, I'm applying to UCL, Imperial and Barts... I went to SGUL, but I didn't really like the place and their cut off was 650 last year and it's probably going to be higher this year.
What about the extended (6 year) degree at King's? My school is eligible for it, so I can apply for it.. but I'm worried that they could possibly reject me due to high predictions.
I want to stay in London, so I don't have other choices. Any advice?
Hi! I'm an Italian student and I'm trying to apply for medical school in the UK.
Today I sat the UKCAT but I didn't do very well. I achieved:

590 VR
650 QR
570 AR
Band 1 Situational Judgement

Total of 1810 and average of 603.

My academic record is very strong with an average of 91.8% in the last two years. I'm attending an Italian Liceo Scientifico which is very maths/physics/chemistry centred and I got 90% and above across all subjects. I also participated in an international scientific congress in Madrid, represented Italy and had a speech during the opening ceremony in front of Spanish health minister etc., In addition, I have won a lot of awards and have voluntary work experience.
Before my UKCAT result, I was looking forward to applying at BARTS, King's College, Edinburgh and St. Georges. But I think that with my UKCAT score I would get four immediate rejections.
Where would you recommend me to apply?
I am also thinking about a BSc in Biomedical Science maybe at ICL or UCL and then applying for Medicine as a postgraduate.
Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Hiya everyone,
My GCSE's were 11A*s but my AS's were AAAB but I am repeating the B and hopefully will get it up.
My UKCAT Average was 683.3, AR - 640, VR - 670 and QR - 740, with Band 1 in SJT.
I am trying to decide which 3 of the Scottish Unis are more suitable to me out of Dundee, Aberdeen, Glasgow, and Edinburgh? More like what ones am I most likely to get an interview for, if any:s-smilie:
Thanks!!
Original post by mithi98
Thank you for your advice! You're right, I'm applying to UCL, Imperial and Barts... I went to SGUL, but I didn't really like the place and their cut off was 650 last year and it's probably going to be higher this year.
What about the extended (6 year) degree at King's? My school is eligible for it, so I can apply for it.. but I'm worried that they could possibly reject me due to high predictions.
I want to stay in London, so I don't have other choices. Any advice?

If you don't like SGUL, then don't apply, if I'm honest :h:
Although, if you really want to stay in London, it is worth considering as a last choice?
What didn't you like about it?

I don't know much of the extended degree, but, if you are fully eligible (check their website) then I'd say apply :u:
Reply 1250
Original post by .......Jeff458
Hey. I know that Dundee use your grades to get you the interview and once you got an interview then you're in the same position as everyone else. Whereas Aberdeen still take into account other stuff after interview. I got this information from Dundee's own website

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank youu, i called up dundee and they said they look at AS, and considering my AS i'm kinda gonna throw that option out the window now haha
Anyone know if the UKCAT results are released tomorrow or will it be a few days later?
Original post by HopelessMedic
Anyone know if the UKCAT results are released tomorrow or will it be a few days later?

Friday

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gogregg
If you don't like SGUL, then don't apply, if I'm honest :h:
Although, if you really want to stay in London, it is worth considering as a last choice?
What didn't you like about it?

I don't know much of the extended degree, but, if you are fully eligible (check their website) then I'd say apply :u:

About St Georg's... it's just I didn't like the place.. I couldn't imagine staying 5/6 years there... And they said their UKCAT cut off is strict. Last year it was 650 and based on the preliminary results, the average is going to go up and so their cut off

The minimum requirements for the extended course is to attend a state non-selective school in London and their A Level requirement is ABB-AAA, so my question is if I'm predicted A*A*A*A can they reject me saying that the course is targeted to people with lower predictions?
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which universities I would have the best chance of applying in and getting an interview. I have only got an average UKCAT score of 670 and been really panicking with uni choices!!
VR= 570
QR= 740
AR= 700
Average= 670 (2010)
Band 2
AS grades= AAAA
A2 predicted= A* A* A
GCSE grades= 6 A*s and 3 As
Im thinking hull york, nottingham, manchester, birmingham, cardiff and Bristol?? Which ones should I avoid?? Thank youuuu😊😊😊
Original post by mithi98
About St Georg's... it's just I didn't like the place.. I couldn't imagine staying 5/6 years there... And they said their UKCAT cut off is strict. Last year it was 650 and based on the preliminary results, the average is going to go up and so their cut off

The minimum requirements for the extended course is to attend a state non-selective school in London and their A Level requirement is ABB-AAA, so my question is if I'm predicted A*A*A*A can they reject me saying that the course is targeted to people with lower predictions?

Then definitely don't apply :biggrin:
If I'm honest, from what I've seen, the UKCAT scores have been relatively stable, haven't they?
I'm not sure if they could reject you for that. It's worth e-mailing them, though :smile: Or calling if you want a quick reponse :h:
Original post by Gogregg
Then definitely don't apply :biggrin:
If I'm honest, from what I've seen, the UKCAT scores have been relatively stable, haven't they?
I'm not sure if they could reject you for that. It's worth e-mailing them, though :smile: Or calling if you want a quick reponse :h:

Thank you for your advice!
I'm going to email them and ask about the extended course. :smile:
Me... = Failure this year
Medicine after Gap year

AS BCCD biol chem physics maths
A2 AAA predicted Biol Chem Maths
GCSE 1A*10A1B
UKCAT
630 Band 3

= no where to apply?
After gap year im hoping:

AAA at A2
UKCAT 700 band 2
and much more work experience
Hiii!!!
I did my UKCAT today and it didn't go so well. Got 650 :s but was expecting 700+
VR - 540
QR - 720
AR - 690
Total - 1950 Average: 650
Predicted AAA
AS : BBCD (Bio, Chem, Maths, Physics)
Strong PS.

I want to apply to London medical unis such as Kings but don't know if they'll accept me!

What is the lowest Kings would accept as a UKCAT score??
I was after some sort of advice for 1 undergrad uni to apply to.
I've got a 2:1 degree in BMedSci and I'm looking to apply to an undergrad choice as my 4th option.

My ukcat average is 743, so maybe a ukcat heavy university.

A-levels: AABbb
GCSE: 4 A*s, 8As etc

I've got all the relevant work experience. Anyone with any ideas on where would be best to apply as my 4th option?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending