The Student Room Group

Would you consider becoming a vegetarian?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marthaships
Yes, Im trying to be vegetarian, Its difficult but definitely change the way you feel.

Yes it makes you mental. Judgemental. Sanctimonious. Preachy. Smug. holy-than-though. Self-satisfied.
Reply 61
There's no point in being a vegetarian if you eat diary or consume other animal products. Veganism is the only way forwards in terms of making an actual environmental impact. By eating diary or wearing leather etc. you're still contributing to the same environmental problems associated with eating meat.

I think being a vegetarian is great but would be better if it were a stepping stone to veganism.
With the taste thing- does the fact that someone enjoys something make it ok to do it, even if it inflicts harm on others? Is liking the taste of something more important than a life? If enjoying something is what makes it ok, people should be allowed to kick, torture and rape animals if they like it, because their enjoyment means that whatever they do to the animal in getting that enjoyment is fine. Right?
Reply 63
Original post by 303Pharma
Yes it makes you mental. Judgemental. Sanctimonious. Preachy. Smug. holy-than-though. Self-satisfied.

I've been vegetarian for my whole life. Ive never tried to impose my viewpoint on anyone else.
Original post by pamplemousse.
With the taste thing- does the fact that someone enjoys something make it ok to do it, even if it inflicts harm on others? Is liking the taste of something more important than a life? If enjoying something is what makes it ok, people should be allowed to kick, torture and rape animals if they like it, because their enjoyment means that whatever they do to the animal in getting that enjoyment is fine. Right?

Oh dear

Yep, I'd consider it - I don't really like meat
Original post by Iamangryrar
Its rather rude how you're spreading propaganda.

So what if it is normal? Its used to be normal to enslave black people. Just because its a social norm it doesn't make it right

oooh social relativism. Were're going down that leftist rabbit-hole. Fun times!
Original post by eu.ad
There's no point in being a vegetarian if you eat diary or consume other animal products. Veganism is the only way forwards in terms of making an actual environmental impact. By eating diary or wearing leather etc. you're still contributing to the same environmental problems associated with eating meat.

I think being a vegetarian is great but would be better if it were a stepping stone to veganism.

I agree with you broadly but saying 'there's no point' maybe discourages people from going vegetarian which is better than eating meat. Also, if people are vegetarian on ethical grounds then calves are taken from their mother and killed in dairy, as well as baby chicks being ground alive. These animals are sent to slaughter when they are not productive enough of dairy products anymore, so the dairy industry is ultimately the meat industry only with some added stuff on the side dragging it out a little. Producing so many eggs and milk etc also ruins their bodies, shortening their lives.
I agree with you broadly but saying 'there's no point' maybe discourages people from going vegetarian which is better than eating meat. Also, if people are vegetarian on ethical grounds then calves are taken from their mother and killed in dairy, as well as baby chicks being ground alive. These animals are sent to slaughter when they are not productive enough of dairy products anymore, so the dairy industry is ultimately the meat industry only with some added stuff on the side dragging it out a little. Producing so many eggs and milk etc also ruins their bodies, shortening their lives.

So if I eat meat and consume dairy, I don't care about animals?
I was arguing of pro-meat propagandising. Yet there's been so much veggie proselytising it's unreal. Look I understand most science backs that a meat free diet is more healthy. I understand the ethical concerns (although still considering anthropomorphising dumb beasts breed to be eaten)

I understand the moral sanctimonious of it. It's still middle class bull sh!t. Yes I went class war, because it's true.Working men eat a bacon butty, or full English breakfast every day. Not lava beans and quinoa like trendy posh c!unts..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by A-LJLB
So if I eat meat and consume dairy, I don't care about animals?

There are many people who care about animals who consume meat and dairy. It is not a caring act to pay people to do to animals what they do in those industries, but that does not mean they are bad, uncaring people, quite the contrary most of the time.

It's just like I am not horrible to people but in the past I have, unthinkingly, bought clothes probably produced by slave labour. It doesn't make me a bad person, but it is not a good industry to contribute to.
I was arguing of pro-meat propagandising. Yet there's been so much veggie proselytising it's unreal. Look I understand most science backs that a meat free diet is more healthy. I understand the ethical concerns (although still considering anthropomorphising dumb beasts breed to be eaten)

I understand the moral sanctimonious of it. It's still middle class bull sh!t. Yes I went class war, because it's true.

Interestingly, most vegetarian people around the world are actually working class people, eg in India. It's mainly in the West that there is this culture of mass consumption cheap meat, with awful conditions and poor quality.

About the anthropomorphing comment- animals are not equal to humans. I don't believe that. You don't have to believe that to not eat them. We are superior- which is why we should know better. Although I don't think animals are equal to us, and neither do you, we all assign them some feelings and moral value- which is why I imagine you agree with me animals aren't machines so we shouldn't kick them, rape them etc just cos some weird members of the population feel like it.
Reply 71
Posted from TSR Mobile

Define "care" when you eat the very thing you claim to love :hmpf:
Reply 72
never. meat is lyf.
There are many people who care about animals who consume meat and dairy. It is not a caring act to pay people to do to animals what they do in those industries, but that does not mean they are bad, uncaring people, quite the contrary most of the time.

It's just like I am not horrible to people but in the past I have, unthinkingly, bought clothes probably produced by slave labour. It doesn't make me a bad person, but it is not a good industry to contribute to.

Fair enough, in that case I agree with you :h:

You don't want to. You'll just lose the argument and get shown up as being the clown you are.

Even if being vegetarian did make someone that way- it would still be better than being you. Seriously what an absolute **** you are. Just **** off.
Original post by Iamangryrar
You don't want to. You'll just lose the argument and get shown up as being the clown you are.
Of course, because I'm trolling for **** and giggles! Isn't that obvious?
Of course, because I'm trolling for **** and giggles! Isn't that obvious?

You a troll?
I don't really like meat that much and tend to usually avoid it, but I would never consciously decide to stop eating it all together. This being said, I don't think I'll ever cook myself meat when I'm older, so I guess it's likely that I could end up being vegetarian.
Interestingly, most vegetarian people around the world are actually working class people, eg in India. It's mainly in the West that there is this culture of mass consumption cheap meat, with awful conditions and poor quality.

About the anthropomorphing comment- animals are not equal to humans. I don't believe that. You don't have to believe that to not eat them. We are superior- which is why we should know better. Although I don't think animals are equal to us, and neither do you, we all assign them some feelings and moral value- which is why I imagine you agree with me animals aren't machines so we shouldn't kick them, rape them etc just cos some weird members of the population feel like it.

Actually I agree with most you say. And I hold the up-most respect for your higher morality and ethical beliefs, sincerely. As above I was veggie for several years, not just because of health reasons, but sincere moral and ethical concerns.But I came to see eating meat as a natural normal human process, and it's hard for me to be re-convinced it's some kind of evil act.

Quick Reply

Latest