The Student Room Group

University applicants 2017 thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilGem
Can I join for postgraduate applications? :colondollar: *

Original post by ImagineCats
Yaaaaaaaah!

Just been offered my second place at the University of Sheffield for MRes Translational Oncology: Unconditional
Just out of interest to international applicants - why do you want to study in the UK? :smile:
Original post by elegantelephant
Just out of interest to international applicants - why do you want to study in the UK? :smile:

Two words: *English* literature.
Original post by super_kawaii
I'm applying to Sheffield for postgrad-hopefully gonna do a PGCE.*

How did you apply for 6 courses? You can't apply for more than 5 through UCAS*

:five: I received my offer from them today albeit for a different course*
Original post by Nuba123
No I've not sent anything but hopefully it'll be gone by the beginning of next week. wby? :smile:

Yeah I've just sent mine away :h:
UCAS application checked & got sent off today, not expecting offers quickly but it's so exciting!
Original post by lilGem
Just been offered my second place at the University of Sheffield for MRes Translational Oncology: Unconditional

Congratulations! :biggrin:
Translational Oncology sounds super interesting, but what is it? I think I have a basic idea of what it may be, but, I'm not completely certain :colondollar:

I'm hoping to send off my applications by the end of this week, but, I might delay it until next week, as I'm visiting QMUL, who I've put down as one of my choices, this weekend, so I would be able to change it if I didn't like it :u:
Also, my head of sixth-form needs to give it the OK before I can send it off, and I have no confidence in that being done quickly, even though I am a medicine applicant...
Original post by Gogregg
Congratulations! :biggrin:
Translational Oncology sounds super interesting, but what is it? I think I have a basic idea of what it may be, but, I'm not completely certain :colondollar:

I'm hoping to send off my applications by the end of this week, but, I might delay it until next week, as I'm visiting QMUL, who I've put down as one of my choices, this weekend, so I would be able to change it if I didn't like it :u:
Also, my head of sixth-form needs to give it the OK before I can send it off, and I have no confidence in that being done quickly, even though I am a medicine applicant...

Well its a masters by research (MRes) I've done my undergrad in biological sciences.

It's more to do with therapeutic development, diagnostics and prognostics of cancer research hence translational (translating research into a clinical setting) and oncology (cancer).

Good luck with your medical applications :h:*
Original post by lilGem
Well its a masters by research (MRes) I've done my undergrad in biological sciences.

It's more to do with therapeutic development, diagnostics and prognostics of cancer research hence translational (translating research into a clinical setting) and oncology (cancer).

Good luck with your medical applications :h:*

That makes so much sense now! :lol:
It sounds amazingly interesting,so I hope you really enjoy it :biggrin:

Thank you :h:
Original post by Gogregg
That makes so much sense now! :lol:
It sounds amazingly interesting,so I hope you really enjoy it :biggrin:

Thank you :h:

Thank you :smile: I did a cancer biology module in my final year and adored it :yep: really missing being at uni, being in a lab. Ah well at least I'll have funds for the next year :lol:

Original post by elegantelephant

high quality of education & life, specific programs(as opposed to the US), and being close to Europe(where most of my family is)
Does anyone know if I need to put the secondary schools I previously attended on UCAS- even if I didn't get any qualifications?
Original post by parrot16
Does anyone know if I need to put the secondary schools I previously attended on UCAS- even if I didn't get any qualifications?

Yes, you need to include all locations of secondary education you have attended, regardless of whether qualifications were awarded or not.
Original post by lilGem

WELL DONE!!!! Congratulations!!! Aaaah you must be so excited!
Original post by ImagineCats
WELL DONE!!!! Congratulations!!! Aaaah you must be so excited!

I'm over the moon, I'm just waiting to hear back from 4 more now :h:

:party:*
Yes, you need to include all locations of secondary education you have attended, regardless of whether qualifications were awarded or not.

Thank you.
I liked the set up of the U.K. University system. In the states you have to take courses that don't even pertain to your course of study to meet a liberal arts requirement of your degree. Plus you are done in 3 years rather than 4.
Original post by rhiannon1018
I liked the set up of the U.K. University system. In the states you have to take courses that don't even pertain to your course of study to meet a liberal arts requirement of your degree. Plus you are done in 3 years rather than 4.

Not all degrees are 3 years-many bachelors degrees are 4 years, including languages and some STEM courses (important years in industries and years abroad)
Not all degrees are 3 years-many bachelors degrees are 4 years, including languages and some STEM courses (important years in industries and years abroad)

Or 5 years for a MEng/MSci/etc with year abroad/industry.

And/or add a year for a Foundation to start.

Lots of options...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending