The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mm_7
all london unis.. this is a bit of problem for me coz of my low ukcat but i really dont wanna move out of london so atm i have:
kings, barts, imperial, st georges

I'm not too knowledgable on the others but there's a chance you'll be interviewed at St George's based on previous cut offs so try and stay positive 😋 how come you don't want to move out of London? I know it might sound harsh but for me, my end goal is being a doctor I would honestly go anywhere, Plymouth is like a 5 hour drive from me or something, but I'm in with a chance there and that is what is important! If there's circumstances that mean you can't move out of London then I completely understand but otherwise I don't want to see you cutting yourself short if you have a shot elsewhere e.g. Liverpool! Try to apply to your strengths as best as you can as you really need to maximise your chances, just like every single other applicant!x

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by barborazel
Hi!

Do you think these scores are good enough for Manchester?

VR 630
QR 750
AR 730
SJT Band 2

99% likely to be yes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
I'm not too knowledgable on the others but there's a chance you'll be interviewed at St George's based on previous cut offs so try and stay positive 😋 how come you don't want to move out of London? I know it might sound harsh but for me, my end goal is being a doctor I would honestly go anywhere, Plymouth is like a 5 hour drive from me or something, but I'm in with a chance there and that is what is important! If there's circumstances that mean you can't move out of London then I completely understand but otherwise I don't want to see you cutting yourself short if you have a shot elsewhere e.g. Liverpool! Try to apply to your strengths as best as you can as you really need to maximise your chances, just like every single other applicant!x

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, I wasn't going to look for any unis out of London but judging by my ukcat score i will have to .. i would've much preferred london as all the unis i was interested in were in london so i'll probably have a look around elsewhere.. thanks for your advice x
Hi!I am an Italian student and I'm attending the fourth year pf scientific high school,so I have an year left to send the application form.I am totally going crazy about UKCAT as my mother-tongue english teacher tells me it is not necessary,while other think the opposite.In order to attend medicine as a foreigner student do I need to take UKCAT?
99% likely to be yes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Well, I'm not sure if they would accept my application because of my academic qualifications. In my czech maturita exams I got 1 (biology), 1 (czech), 1 (german), 1 (maths), 4 (chemistry). (1 is best, 5 is worst). This is mostly because of the bad system of the exams. The universities here don't use them in admission so nobody cares about your result. It is an oral exam and my examiner was really biased and rude. Also I was only examined in about 1/30 of what I had to learn and the exam only took 10 minutes so you can imagine how objective it is...

I e-mailed Manchester telling them about my situation and I told them that I want to take the american AP exams to prove my knowledge (I would take A levels but that's not possible). But they told me that they couldn't consider me. Furthermore they don't even require chemistry for foundation year medicine so I don't understand...

Do you think I should e-mail them again and try to apply? I really like Manchester...
Original post by mm_7
True, I wasn't going to look for any unis out of London but judging by my ukcat score i will have to .. i would've much preferred london as all the unis i was interested in were in london so i'll probably have a look around elsewhere.. thanks for your advice x

No problem lovely 😋 best of luck, keep me updated where you decide in the end x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by barborazel
Thanks! Well, I'm not sure if they would accept my application because of my academic qualifications. In my czech maturita exams I got 1 (biology), 1 (czech), 1 (german), 1 (maths), 4 (chemistry). (1 is best, 5 is worst). This is mostly because of the bad system of the exams. The universities here don't use them in admission so nobody cares about your result. It is an oral exam and my examiner was really biased and rude. Also I was only examined in about 1/30 of what I had to learn and the exam only took 10 minutes so you can imagine how objective it is...

I e-mailed Manchester telling them about my situation and I told them that I want to take the american AP exams to prove my knowledge (I would take A levels but that's not possible). But they told me that they couldn't consider me. Furthermore they don't even require chemistry for foundation year medicine so I don't understand...

Do you think I should e-mail them again and try to apply? I really like Manchester...

Yeah I'd definitely email them and check if there is anything else you could do at all! I'm not too familiar with your exam system sorry but yes it sounds very subjective. Is there any exams you could take even if you have to teach them all yourself, as you could buy the books and contact your school to arrange the exams? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I'd definitely email them and check if there is anything else you could do at all! I'm not too familiar with your exam system sorry but yes it sounds very subjective. Is there any exams you could take even if you have to teach them all yourself, as you could buy the books and contact your school to arrange the exams? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, that's what I'm planning to do. I'm planning to submit the qualifications that American students submit - AP and SAT tests. I wrote that to Manchester but it's like they didn't even care. I know that I would be able to get the best grades in these exams. The weird thing is that they don't even want A level chemistry (which is what I got a bad grade in) from UK applicants to foundation year Medicine...
Actually some UK schools like Imperial don't even accept the czech maturita and want me to submit the AP exams instead so I don't know what Manchester is having a problem with.
No problem lovely 😋 best of luck, keep me updated where you decide in the end x

Posted from TSR Mobile

okayy!! i will x
is it possible to do 3 med and 2 biomed options?????
Original post by mm_7
is it possible to do 3 med and 2 biomed options?????

You mean out of your 5 UCAS choices - 2 Medicine courses and 3 Biomed courses?

Yes. Totally okay.
Original post by returnmigrant
You mean out of your 5 UCAS choices - 2 Medicine courses and 3 Biomed courses?

Yes. Totally okay.

yeahh cuz i was thinking as my ukcat score isn't great i didnt want to risk applying to kings so im doing 3 med and 2 biomed courses
Original post by Andrew151199
Hi!I am an Italian student and I'm attending the fourth year pf scientific high school,so I have an year left to send the application form.I am totally going crazy about UKCAT as my mother-tongue english teacher tells me it is not necessary,while other think the opposite.In order to attend medicine as a foreigner student do I need to take UKCAT?

YES.

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/about-the-test/who-should-take-the-test/

Nowhere does it says 'Italians, or anyone who isn't actually British does not need to take UKCAT'.
Are you applying for dentistry or medicine
Original post by IMS2K17
Hi guys, help please. Did my UKCAT. What unis should I aim to apply for

Abstract:570
Quantitative: 690
Verbal:580
SJT:Band 2
avg:613

GCSE: 10A 3B
ALevels: A*AA

Thank you
I think so, st.georges were actually in clearing this year and a friend of mine in the year above got in with a UKCAT of 613.5 and AAB at A-Level
Original post by mm_7
Would St. Georges be likely to accept a UKCAT score of 650????
If anyone is confused about the whole decile thing or average scores http://www.applyingfordentalschool.co.uk/ukcat.html liteally has a list of decile scores for the different years and has the average UKCAT scores in the individual sections for last year and this year up to September :smile:
Original post by Aaron Bernbaum
I think so, st.georges were actually in clearing this year and a friend of mine in the year above got in with a UKCAT of 613.5 and AAB at A-Level

oh thanks! thats great
Is 731 good enough for Newcastle or Barts
Original post by YouHaveProblems
Is 731 good enough for Newcastle or Barts

Sounds like plenty for Newcastle! I'll let someone else answer about Barts as I don't know enough about it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending