The Student Room Group

Best/nicest uk university mathematics departments

So I'm applying to study mathematics this year at uni however I cant decide exactly where to go (so many options) but looking at specifically the mathematics departments some uni's seem to bury their in some dirty old building and basically just look awful. Not that im going to judge how good a course is based on how it looks but I really want to spend 4 years somewhere i really like and enjoy. Any ideas for the best/nicest mathematics departments?
Original post by ljf98
So I'm applying to study mathematics this year at uni however I cant decide exactly where to go (so many options) but looking at specifically the mathematics departments some uni's seem to bury their in some dirty old building and basically just look awful. Not that im going to judge how good a course is based on how it looks but I really want to spend 4 years somewhere i really like and enjoy. Any ideas for the best/nicest mathematics departments?

Are there any unis you've considered so far?
Reply 2
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Are there any unis you've considered so far?

So far im thinking leeds, sheffield and newcastle
Reply 3
Warwick's maths department isn't amazing looking or anything, but the whole area is way nicer than most of the uni so relativity will colour your perception.
What's wrong with that?
Because of the technical facilities they require, Maths Depts tend to be in new modern buildings not 'amazing old buildings'.

Cambridge : https://www.flickr.com/photos/chdot/2483896269

Bristol's new Maths building : http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2016/03/23/balfour-beatty-bags-33m-bristol-uni-maths-building/

PS. You wont spend all your time in your subject building - so look beyond this, ie. at the course, and the rest of the Uni.
Reply 7
The building should not matter, as long as it's got a roof, four walls and some good lecturers. I actually prefer the older buildings, which have a sense of history that you don't get with the new shiny glass-and-metal things they put up nowadays. The stone masonry, wooden floors, cast iron radiators, old libraries, fluorescent lighting, etc. give a sense that you're following in the footsteps of some of the great British mathematicians, rather than just googling their theorems on wikipedia in a computer room build from four pieces of glass. Ugh.
Reply 8
I recently graduated from Newcastle uni doing maths and I can say that the maths department there is pretty nice & modern, looks like it had just been renovated before I started. Quite a lot of the other buildings on NCL campus are "old" but they're full of character and overall make for a really pleasant place to study. The Robinson library is also a great place to study, very clean, modern etc. so if you're thinking about Newcastle as an option then I'd say definitely go have a look around.

Quick Reply

Latest