The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Am I working class or middle class?

About me:

- from a town that would generally be considered "working class"

- grew up in a detached 3-bedroom house in the suburbs (bought by my parents in the mid-90s when house prices were a LOT lower than today)

- but neither of my parents went to university, they both left school at 16

- my dad would strongly identify himself as being "working class"

- I went to a private secondary school but had a bursary (only paid a third of the £9k a year fees) due to my parents' low/mediocre income

- I have an undergrad degree from Russell Group university

- I currently earn £33k a year, aged 22 (23 in a few days)

- I voted "Leave" in the EU referendum (as did both my parents and all of my grandparents)

So am I working class or middle class? Or am I from a working class background but now middle class?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

what's you voting leave got to do with anything?
Probably working atm
I think you know the answer to this question?
Original post by HopelessMedic
Probably working atm

But I earn above the average UK income and I am only 22?
Original post by Super Cicero
But I earn above the average UK income and I am only 22?

Why do you even care lol

Working class background, aspiring middle class I guess?
Middle class- if you hadn't have mentioned your house size/location I would have said borderline upper class because of the private school. Your also earning quite a bit for your age considering you've probably just finished university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mmmm money
do you have tattoos ?

:holmes:
God I am so jealous of this money what job do you do? What degree?
Original post by Super Cicero
About me:

- from a town that would generally be considered "working class"

- grew up in a detached 3-bedroom house in the suburbs (bought by my parents in the mid-90s when house prices were a LOT lower than today)

- but neither of my parents went to university, they both left school at 16

- my dad would strongly identify himself as being "working class"

- I went to a private secondary school but had a bursary (only paid a third of the £9k a year fees) due to my parents' low/mediocre income

- I have an undergrad degree from Russell Group university

- I currently earn £33k a year, aged 22 (23 in a few days)

- I voted "Leave" in the EU referendum (as did both my parents and all of my grandparents)

So am I working class or middle class? Or am I from a working class background but now middle class?

Do you work for a living?

Btw all the class stuff seems to be a British obsession and mostly a load if complete tosh.
Working class advancing towards lower middle - keep up the work ethic, once you're there, it's the matter of time and vigilance to advance into middle-middle. Higher middle is, on the other hand, really quite difficult - this is where David Cameron would be.
Original post by 999tigger
Do you work for a living?

Btw all the class stuff seems to be a British obsession and mostly a load if complete tosh.

In France we have that 'obsession' too (in my opinion it's reality.. and it comes from someone who really believes in meritocracy/social mobility), but yes Britain is even one step further.
Original post by HANNAHBENLOLO
In France we have that 'obsession' too (in my opinion it's reality.. and it comes from someone who really believes in meritocracy/social mobility), but yes Britain is even one step further.

This is a very famous comedy sketch from the 60s about class, which you may or may not have seen. Sums it up.

[video="youtube;4VxkltwS9g0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VxkltwS9g0[/video]
who even invented the term "social class"
Reply 16
What job do you do
Reply 17
- went to private school
- parents owned their own house

Middle class. Your parents may have been working class, but you're middle class.
£33k a year is that inside London?

If not then I would say middle class.
I come from a similar background to you. I think the class system is a 19th century idea that doesn't really apply today. I wouldn't consider my self working class or middle class. I know people from all kinds of backgrounds and I things in common with them all.

Latest

Trending

Trending