The Student Room Group

Biology help

Scroll to see replies

Finished my exams, I hope everyone's went well/are going well. Remember, if anyone needs any advice on getting into medical school then I'm happy to help, just hit me with a message
Pleaseeeee help! Got the unit 5 exam on Thursday gahh! Anyways, I've posted the picture of the question and the mark scheme answer (question 6 c ii) but I don't understand why they put 'ignore references to proto-oncogenes'?? Can you please explain why they only wanted mentioning of tumour suppressor genes??? Thank you :smile: image.png
Attachment not found
Good luck with A-level results today, feel free to let me know what you get!
Hey guys, I've just started my second year and will be willing to help people with GCSE/A-level biology, chemistry and even a bit of maths if they want, just the same as last year!
Reply 244
Original post by AortaStudyMore
Hey guys, I've just started my second year and will be willing to help people with GCSE/A-level biology, chemistry and even a bit of maths if they want, just the same as last year!

Heyy congrats.
I'm starting medicine in nov.
Is it really tough like the people say? :/

How do I hack the BMAT?

How do I get into Imperial omg
Original post by Aimen.
Heyy congrats.
I'm starting medicine in nov.
Is it really tough like the people say? :/

Nice one! :smile: It's not bad, things get a bit stressful towards exam time but as long as you keep organised you'll be alright
Original post by sububzi
How do I hack the BMAT?

How do I get into Imperial omg

Past papers mainly, but for the science, there should be a textbook on the bmat website, so learn that cover to cover and do practise essays!
What do you specifically need to know for the microscopy topics - there lots of useless info (+ the offical textbook only gives 1 magnification for both electron microscopes which I;m really confused by)

How would you answer this question:
Suggest why when preparing a wet mount that the refractive index of the medium should be the same as glass?
Original post by shohaib712
What do you specifically need to know for the microscopy topics - there lots of useless info (+ the offical textbook only gives 1 magnification for both electron microscopes which I;m really confused by)

How would you answer this question:
Suggest why when preparing a wet mount that the refractive index of the medium should be the same as glass?

So the light can bend equally through the glass and medium, preventing a distorted image or chromatic aberration. This one isn't on the spec, you just have to use your general knowledge to answer it, since it's a 'suggest' question :-)
Thanks
I thought it would have something to do with distortion.
Do you need to know about the term, "chromatic aberration"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shohaib712
Thanks
I thought it would have something to do with distortion.
Do you need to know about the term, "chromatic aberration"

Posted from TSR Mobile

No lol, I just remembered it from GCSE Physics
Lol thanks so much though!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, so don't worry about work ethic, it happens to the best of us, I have my first exam in 2 days and I've been so lazy with revision, you just have to believe in yourself, and find something to motivate you. Personally, this was much easier at school than at uni, as I knew I needed the grades to get into medical school, and I was also one of the best in the school so I had that to motivate me, now at uni, there are no grades and I'm average at best, so it gets hard. What you need to do is just do what you can, and organise yourself, this is something I cannot do, but I've been trying to while revising for my exam, because without structure you just won't know what to do and you'll end up getting hardly anything done. Also, find something to motivate you, long term or short term. I sometimes revise whilst listening to some motivational music to get myself pumped up (this sound ridiculous haha), and I also sometimes watch some motivational videos or something, which kind of works. As for long term, have some aspirations, what do you want to do? Try let those aspirations help motivate you.

As for the papers, again, don't worry. Please trust me, when I did past papers, I did them half halfheartedly, because sitting in your bedroom is no way near the same as doing the real thing in an exam hall, you'll be surprised at how much more you know when you're in the exam compared to when you're doing a paper at home, partly because you have adrenaline, but also because if you're like me, then when doing past papers you tend to rush them so you can find out how well you've done as soon as possible. I still do this now, I can't do questions anymore because I get them all wrong as I just speed through them as fast as possible. So don't worry about getting low marks, if you're scoring low in the past papers then just don't do them, as they can demoralise you, save them for closer to the real thing when you've revised a bit more.

So yh, just believe in yourself, I know exactly how you feel because I am in pretty much the same situation as you (just a couple of years further down the line), I tell myself every day that I can pass my exams, because I have many doubts, I was on the phone to my parents tonight telling them about how I'm going to fail etc etc, you just have to believe you can do well or else you'll just get stressed, and that doesn't help anything. Also 3 weeks is plenty of time, like i said, try organise yourself, it will help, and also, try and enjoy what you're learning, just think about how clever you'll seem compared to other people if you revise! Talk to your parents about what you're revising and you'll be surprised with how much you will know.

Anyway, I'm a bit of a keyboard warrior, I like to write a lot haha. I'm not sure if this has helped at all, but just remember that this lack of motivation to revise is pretty normal, so don't worry, I've been doing like 4-5 hours a day of revision for 3 weeks for a medical school exam, it's not very much, but if I believe I can pass it with that much revision then I believe you can get 4 A's in your AS's!

Can I just say that after you wrote this extremely uplifting essay I was genuinely more motivated to work and attempt to essentially 'believe in myself' as pathetic as that sounds and your BMAT tips, you looking over my personal statement and generally being a beacon of light has contributed to the fact that I somehow did manage to get 4A's and I somehow did manage to do well in the BMAT and somehow have managed to get three interviews (one of which is in Imperial which is in three weeks aruydgfksd soexcitedargh) and I just wanted to thank you.

Also, whenever you do have time, can you maybe give tips for the Imperial interview? :biggrin:
Original post by sububzi
Can I just say that after you wrote this extremely uplifting essay I was genuinely more motivated to work and attempt to essentially 'believe in myself' as pathetic as that sounds and your BMAT tips, you looking over my personal statement and generally being a beacon of light has contributed to the fact that I somehow did manage to get 4A's and I somehow did manage to do well in the BMAT and somehow have managed to get three interviews (one of which is in Imperial which is in three weeks aruydgfksd soexcitedargh) and I just wanted to thank you.

Also, whenever you do have time, can you maybe give tips for the Imperial interview? :biggrin:

oh wow, well done! I'm glad I could be of help! I don't really know what to say regarding the imperial interview. Just be relaxed and smiley, know your PS well, be up to date on current medical news, know about how the NHS works and what policies and laws doctors have to know about, know about confidentiality and consent (I can help you on these if you need as we're currently being taught about medical ethics and law), and then practise some common ethical scenarios, such as one liver and many patients, or a Jahova's witness refusing blood for their child. Also read about imperial, what you like about the course and a bit about its history and stuff
Hey everyone, I am a medical student who doesn't really have time to do any proper, paid tutoring, however I am interested in teaching and helping people in general. I have tutored before, so if anyone is stuck on any GCSE/AS/A2 biology (or chemistry too for that matter) then feel free to ask and I'll help. Also if anyone has any questions about applying to medical school then I can help there too as I was in that position only last year, so it's fresh in my mind. I got 4 A's at AS and 3 A*s at A2 (bio, chem, maths, all above 95%)

Hello,

I was just wondering if you had any tips for the Biology 'suggest' questions? And the How Science Works/Practical based questions for both Bio/Chem..

Btw, thank you for all this effort you've put into this thread. You're destined to be a great doctor one day!
How did you revise for your A levels (biology and chemistry)?
When making notes I'm usually just copying and don't know if this is effective
I got bad grades in AS so really need to do well to get A's
Please give me LOAAADDDDSSSS of advice!!!!!
Original post by kailuhan

I know what you mean! I didn't do too well at AS for Biology either. It must be my studying technique! Writing up notes and just reading through them doesn't work for me at all! :frown:
Original post by sbscx28
Hello,

I was just wondering if you had any tips for the Biology 'suggest' questions? And the How Science Works/Practical based questions for both Bio/Chem..

Btw, thank you for all this effort you've put into this thread. You're destined to be a great doctor one day!

Hi, before I give my advice, it's probably worth noting that I did my A2-levels 2 years ago now (which makes me feel old :s-smilie:) so the course and questions may have changed a little. If you could give me an example of a "Suggest" question that would be great, just to see if they differ much from my day. As for the HSW questions, first of all, don't worry if you struggle with them, I did too, and so did most people, the grade boundaries for biology are usually considerably lower for biology compared to other sciences because of these questions. My best advice is to write whatever comes to mind first and whatever seems logical, but also keep in mind what you know about science. For example, in my Biol 4 exam, we had a question a long the lines of "Why is global warming increasing the amount of salt in low lying farm land", and you know, you can quite easily realise that the land is being flooded and the water is evaporating leaving behind the salt. Just because you're doing a biology exam doesn't mean that you can't apply primary school level physics :P. These questions are tricky, and hardly anyone gets full marks in them, just try your best to pick out a few points that seem to make sense. There isn't much more to say tbh other than practise them with past papers. You will often find that there are similar questions year on year. Also remember that with describe questions you simply write what you see, with explain questions, you must give a reason why you see what you see, and for evaluate questions, you must give reasons for and against. With suggest questions, just write whatever seems right, there's no point trying to overthink. If nothing comes to you in the exam, then leave it and come back to the question at the end with a clear head. This is a really good tactic that I used a lot in all my exams, you often think of some good stuff when you're more relaxed and not worrying about finishing the exam. As for the practical questions, unfortunately I didn't do those in my exams (it's a recent change to the syllabus), so I can't help you there :s-smilie:
Original post by kailuhan

Original post by Philip-flop
I know what you mean! I didn't do too well at AS for Biology either. It must be my studying technique! Writing up notes and just reading through them doesn't work for me at all! :frown:

Hey guys, I understand your concerns, so I'll try my best to help! So, I personally revised by making notes from a textbook and then learning them, but if that isn't working for you, then I recommend flash cards. I now only make flashcards for my revision at medical school because the workload is 1000x heavier than A-level, and they are an efficient and effective way of memorising information. So it might be worth making some and testing yourself on them. Once you're pretty confident in the content, then do past papers, I did all my past papers in the 2 weeks of study leave that we had, this is particularly good for chemistry. My final bit of advice would be to revise with friends on facebook and explain things to other people. A facebook group chat can be fun, you can have banter and it breaks up the monotony of revision a bit, and explaining things is one of the best ways of consolidating what you've learnt. Trust me, I used to struggle academically, in years 8, 9 and 10, I was getting E's, D's and C's, but I turned it around half way through year 11 and started putting the work in and now I'm on my way to becoming a doctor (if I can pass my exams!), so if I can do it then you guys can too, you just have to work on it. If there's anything else then let me know
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending