The Student Room Group

Economics Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Ah, unfortunate. Exeter looks really good, personally I'll be applying to St Hugh's, I just love the feel of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough, good luck with it all! Have you sent your application yet?
GCSEs: 10A*s, A in FSMQ Add Maths
AS: 5 As (A2 subjects + Physics)
A2: A* (FM) AAA (Maths, Econ, Spanish) - 1 mark off A* in both Maths and Econ so resitting those this year, so my UCAS form also predicts me another two A*s in addition to my results already

Reapplying as missed my Cambridge offer. Currently going for Oxford and Warwick, won't bother applying elsewhere if I get a Warwick offer but otherwise, probably Bath, Bristol, Edinburgh.

If anyone has a questions feel free to ask me as I've been through the whole UCAS process before (yay! not). I applied to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bath last year and got offers from all 5 :smile: can't promise I'll know the answers to whatever you're asking but I can try to shed some light on it all
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by felecita
A2: A* (FM) AAA (Maths, Econ, Spanish) - 1 mark off A* in both Maths and Econ so resitting those this year, so my UCAS form also predicts me another two A*s in addition to my results already

Reapplying as missed my Cambridge offer. Currently going for Oxford and Warwick, won't bother applying elsewhere if I get a Warwick offer but otherwise, probably Bath, Bristol, Edinburgh.

If anyone has a questions feel free to ask me as I've been through the whole UCAS process before (yay! not). I applied to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bath last year and got offers from all 5 :smile: can't promise I'll know the answers to whatever you're asking but I can try to shed some light on it all

That must have been annoying, hopefully you get in this year though! I have one question, how long did it take you to get offers from Bath and Warwick last time?
Original post by Ferrari fan
That must have been annoying, hopefully you get in this year though! I have one question, how long did it take you to get offers from Bath and Warwick last time?

Most annoying that it was 1 mark and they wouldn't take an A* in Further Maths instead of an A* in Maths but oh well, life goes on! Thank you :smile: Warwick was less than a week, Bath was 2-4 weeks I think.

Edit: I just looked back through some old posts. I applied on Wednesday 7th October, got an offer from Warwick on Monday 12th and one from Bath on the 27th. Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Studying IB
HL Physics, English, Economics
SL Maths Spanish Ab, Biology

Predicted 40/45

Studied maths HL in y12, but didnt get the results i wanted to continue (dammit high expectations) So brought english to HL instead. AND i realised that the IB screws mathy students 6 months too late.

Looking at Bath (38) , Nottingham (36), Durham (38), St Andrews (35-38) and Surrey (36)
btw those numbers are entry requirments- all six subjects graded out of 7, remaining 3 points are for "core" comprising of extended essay, theory of knowledge (philosophy) and CAS (essentially DoE activity creativity service)

Hey, nice results! Sorry you missed your offer though, hopefully you'll have better luck this time!

What advice do you have for writing a personal statement worthy of LSE?
Hey guys, I got 7A* 4A's and 1B at GCSE
2A's 2B's at AS
A2 preds are A*AA
I'm applying to Econ and Pols at Warwick, LSE, Durham, Notts and Birmingham
What do u think my chances r of getting an offer and the first 4?
Cheers for the advice
PS anything particular I should include in my PS
Reply 67
Considering reapplying
Got a*aa (with 2 more As at AS) with a* in maths and currently on a gap year
9a* 2as at gcse
Have a place at Warwick for economics
Thinking might reapply for Oxford lse ucl Warwick and probably Bristol/Durham all economics (economics and management at Oxford)
Is this a good idea?
Not sure because I don't really want to bristol/durham.
Any help would be much appreciated 😁
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by libab20
Considering reapplying
Got a*aa (with 2 more As at AS) with a* in maths and currently on a gap year
9a* 2as at gcse
Have a place at Warwick for economics
Thinking might reapply for Oxford lse ucl Warwick and probably Bristol/Durham all economics (economics and management at Oxford)
Is this a good idea?
Not sure because I don't really want to bristol/durham.
Any help would be much appreciated 😁

Warwick is really good r u sure u really wanna reapply?
Reply 69
Not sure really just thought about it because I had the grades and was on a gap year and thought why not? 😀 I'm still probably not going to reapply

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JRKinder
Hey, nice results! Sorry you missed your offer though, hopefully you'll have better luck this time!

What advice do you have for writing a personal statement worthy of LSE?

Thanks! Fingers crossed :smile:

Ooh, personal statements... I'd say don't waste too much space on irrelevant extra curriculars. Those that you do include, try to link them to economics in some way and write about what you gained from them, not just that you did xyz. Talk in depth about one thing rather than trying to shove in as many books etc as you can - I know a couple of people along with myself that did this and it got us in. Don't be too common - read something other than Freakonomics and mention something other than Brexit. Someone once told me that they like it if you take an aspect from AS/A2 Econ, read a bit more around it and then mention something about studying it in the future or something like that. If you've been to any lectures or anything similar I'd definitely put those in, along with essay competitions, prizes and so on. You basically just need to make it seem like you're enthusiastic and love your subject.

That's probably all stuff you've heard before, but hope it helps somehow!
Most annoying that it was 1 mark and they wouldn't take an A* in Further Maths instead of an A* in Maths but oh well, life goes on! Thank you :smile: Warwick was less than a week, Bath was 2-4 weeks I think.

Edit: I just looked back through some old posts. I applied on Wednesday 7th October, got an offer from Warwick on Monday 12th and one from Bath on the 27th. Good luck!

Thnx! Just hoping I don't spend ages waiting, it would be so stressful
GCSE's - 1A* 7A 3B(RS,German,IT) 1C(geog)

AS-AAAC (maths chemistry psychology physics respectively)

A2 prediction- A*AA- A* in maths

Hoping to apply to UCL, UCL(with a year abroad), Warwick, St Andrews, Manchester

Extra curriculars-

raised over £900 for charity

Play football weekly and go to the gym 5 times a week

Read the undercover economist and freakonomics- need to read some more books any suggestions?

Play chess - hoping to link that to game theory

Volunteered for 2 months helping disabled children

Attended an economics taster day

Also anymore relevant EC's you'd recommend?

Be brutally honest do I have a chance at UCL/Warwick?

I've also decided if I don't get into UCL/Warwick I'm going to reapply next year

Also any tips for making my Personal Statement stand out?
Also does anyone know if economics was in adjustment for UCL or Warwick last year? Just curious

Sorry for the long post 😬

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Hey I've basically applied to all the same as you last year, except LSE as I'm waiting for my first offer/rejection to settle my final choice (currently between LSE, Bristol and Exeter). What Cambridge college did you apply last year? Also, if you remember did you receive any emails from Warwick before receiving an offer - I applied on the 27th September and have currently received emails from everywhere but Warwick. Hope I follow in your footsteps offer-wise and hope this year pans out for you! :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Might as well fill out my stats...

GCSEs: 9A*s, 4As, 1B
A Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Computing
Respectively achieved A*, predicted A*, A*, A
(My school does A Level maths in Y12 hence already have A* with 99% UMS)

Also did AEA maths this year and got a distinction, I was thinking of applying for economics and maths but now think straight economics is mathsy enough lol

My school didn't do reformed AS exams so only exams I did in Y12 were for maths and Pre-U Global Perspectives which I got an M1 in (equiv to B) (it's basically a mixture of EPQ, Critical thinking and general studies hence most my choices don't care, but it does lower Bath's offer from A*AA to AAA).

Applied on 27th September to: Cambridge, Bath, UCL (with year abroad), Warwick
Waiting to add last choice on track between LSE, Bristol and Exeter (leaning towards Bristol at the moment) but waiting for first offer/rejection to make my mind up - hope it is soon because I'm v impatient lol
Original post by domaths
Hey I've basically applied to all the same as you last year, except LSE as I'm waiting for my first offer/rejection to settle my final choice (currently between LSE, Bristol and Exeter). What Cambridge college did you apply last year? Also, if you remember did you receive any emails from Warwick before receiving an offer - I applied on the 27th September and have currently received emails from everywhere but Warwick. Hope I follow in your footsteps offer-wise and hope this year pans out for you! :wink:

Hey, I had an offer from St John's :smile: I feel like I got an acknowledgement email or something from Warwick 1-2 days after I officially sent off my UCAS form but I just searched my emails and the first one it shows is in November so maybe I didn't. I wouldn't stress about it anyway. Good luck!
So guys i just swapped Leeds for Southampton so i have to insurances instead of just newcastle as an insurance was this a wise decision, as Leeds was my 4th favoured one so i was never going to firm it?
I applied to ucl a couple of weeks ago and just received an email asking for my as maths module grades. Has anyone got this yet?
Original post by smiley444
I applied to ucl a couple of weeks ago and just received an email asking for my as maths module grades. Has anyone got this yet?

For the Economics Bsc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by smiley444

I got one for Economics with year abroad, I don't have to fill it out though because I completed my A Level maths

Quick Reply

Latest