The Student Room Group

Studying at Trakia university 2016 - use this thread to get to know others!!!

Hi all,
My names Josh and if you are reading this you are looking to apply or have already applied to Trakia University in Bulgaria!
I made this thread so that other like minded people can get to know each other. I applied for veterinary medicine through study medicine Europe and am currently studying at trakia university in Bulgaria!! It is a great experience and I would recommend it.

Thanks for reading this and please respond!
:ciao:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clarky0149
Hi all,
My names Josh and if you are reading this you are looking to apply or have already applied to Trakia University in Bulgaria!
I made this thread so that other like-minded people can get to know each other. I'm applying for veterinary medicine through study medicine Europe and would like to know a few people before taking the flight over there in September.

Thanks for reading this and please respond!
:ciao:

Hi Josh,
Ive applied to study medicine at trakia university as well. My application when through swiftly and got my acceptance letter last month, wbu? Did u get your acceptance letter?

Nawal
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi there! Do you mind me asking a few questions?

Is your course taught in English? When did you apply?
Reply 3
Original post by Nawal95
Hi Josh,
Ive applied to study medicine at trakia university as well. My application when through swiftly and got my acceptance letter last month, wbu? Did u get your acceptance letter?

Nawal

Hey, im wanting to go there aswell, do you think we can stay in touch im.just a tad bit hesitant on certain things abd hope that you could clarify? Thanks
Reply 4
So sorry for the very late reply, I assumed i would get an email if anyone posted on the forum. I to have been accepted and am going on the 18th!!
Did you apply through study medicine Europe and if so are you going on the bus to the hotel?

once again sorry for the late reply i will be checking the forum from now on!!!

Josh

Original post by Nawal95
Hi Josh,

Nawal
Reply 5
Hello, I am so sorry for not replying sooner, i thought it would send me an email if anyone responded and i posted it so long ago i forgot about it until now.
The course is in English and I get Bulgarian lessons whilst i am there so i can shop and stuff. I applied through a company called study medicine Europe last November however i believe you can apply right up until September. I am leaving on the 18th and am getting quite excited!!!
Any more questions I will be happy to answer and i am once again sorry for the late response

Original post by Scitty

Original post by Scitty

Although I haven't applied to Study medicine Europe, my cousin has. He is a very very close cousin and is in his 4th year at Varna university (also Bulgaria and through the same program). The course is in English, they have very low-grade requirements compared to medicine here. SME also run courses in Romania as far as I remember. The course is 6 years long, followed by an internship year here. You obtain an MD degree, as well as GMC accreditation. According to my cousin, Brexit didn't change much.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Hi Tania,
Once again sorry for the late response, are you going this year or next? of course we can stay in touch, if your going this year i am sure we will see each other, it would be nice to at least know someone before going! I am leaving the 18th September. If you are going next year I would probably be in better stead to clarify some things for you and we could still meet up once you get to Bulgaria! Either way Personal Message me and we could swap email address so we can keep in touch.

Sorry for the late reply, i hope you see this,
Josh

Original post by Tania (:
Hey, im wanting to go there aswell, do you think we can stay in touch im.just a tad bit hesitant on certain things abd hope that you could clarify? Thanks
Reply 8
I will try to check the forum at about 9:30 every night from now on, sorry
So sorry for the very late reply, I assumed i would get an email if anyone posted on the forum. I to have been accepted and am going on the 18th!!
Did you apply through study medicine Europe and if so are you going on the bus to the hotel?

once again sorry for the late reply i will be checking the forum from now on!!!

Josh

Hey,
Yes I applied through study medicine. I'll be leaving on the 18th as well, 08:30 flight and yes I travelling by bus to the hotel.
I guess I'll be seeing you at the airport then!!
Reply 10
Hi Tania,
Once again sorry for the late response, are you going this year or next? of course we can stay in touch, if your going this year i am sure we will see each other, it would be nice to at least know someone before going! I am leaving the 18th September. If you are going next year I would probably be in better stead to clarify some things for you and we could still meet up once you get to Bulgaria! Either way Personal Message me and we could swap email address so we can keep in touch.

Sorry for the late reply, i hope you see this,
Josh

Hey josh! It's okay, im guessing your in Bulgaria now! Im applying for the year of 2017, so ill hopefully see you next year. How are you finding it so far? Thanks again tania :smile:
Reply 11
Tania,
Im in Bulgaria right now and it is great. Study Medicine Europe is great at the paperwork and getting into the uni was easy but the first few days are really long as you have to enroll and get a bank account ect. I feel like they could have managed it a bit better but hey ho everyone got themselves sorted out and all the people here are very nice. On my second week of uni right now and it is going well, we get lots of little breaks in the lectures. There are only four british students doing veterinary this year but we share classes with many greek students who are all very nice and speak good english. If you do end up coming out here you should get in touch and i could show you some good places to go in the city! Any questions dont hesitate to ask!

Josh
Hi I am interested in applying for next year!
What were the minimum requirements?
Are you considered clear/able to get vet jobs in the UK after graduating?
How are you finding the quality of the course so far?

What is the living/accommodation/general life like?

Thanks!
Reply 13
Original post by tomandbear
Hi I am interested in applying for next year!
What were the minimum requirements?
Are you considered clear/able to get vet jobs in the UK after graduating?
How are you finding the quality of the course so far?

What is the living/accommodation/general life like?

Thanks!

Okay, the reuirements were B's initailly but i know people who got in on less and my friend did a diploma instead of a levels so i think you can get in with most grades. Of course you can get a vet job in the uk. There are plenty of jobs in the uk and not enough unis to fill them. Plus i read it was actually illegal for an employer to ask which uni you went to. Im in my second week and and everything is pretty relaxed at the moment, the uni itself is a bit dated but the lecturers are nice and you get everything you need to pass the course. It is strange having so many breaks in class as we have a 15 min break after every 45 mins of work!!!
Living is pretty easy, however not many people speak english so you must get around with sign language and the google translate app! Most people prefer to get accomodation in the city rather than at the uni as the uni is a bus trip out. My accomodation is great, everything is new and we have what we need. (I am sharing with my friend i mentioned earlier). The showers are strange here as most apartments have a wetroom rather than a real shower! The city is barley a city so it only takes about half an hour to walk from one side to the other! We have a zoo and a cinema that shows english films with bulgarian subtitles. What more could you want?!?
I hope that helps. If you have anymore questions i will try my best to answer them.
Josh
Thanks for the help Josh, I already have first degree in a science subject so by the sound of it my grades should be fine.

How did you apply for it and what were the timescales?
How much is it costing you?

It sounds great and a real potion for me!
Reply 15
Wow you guys are so brave. Bulgaria of all places so random!
I'm also studying abroad in Madrid (not medicine).
The problem is the UK makes it SO competitive to get into a good uni, to study a good degree, that we are 'forced' to go abroad.
It's nice to read all the stories of how you're coping.
Reply 16
Original post by tomandbear
Thanks for the help Josh, I already have first degree in a science subject so by the sound of it my grades should be fine.

How did you apply for it and what were the timescales?
How much is it costing you?

It sounds great and a real potion for me!

I applied through a company called study medicine europe, about november time, however they do still take more aplicants right up until you start, august/ september time. After emailing them i got some questions and they walk you throufh the process. I think it was june i got an acceptance letter but you need to go to london in june to do a test prior to your acceptance. Dont worry it is an easy test and you will get stuff to revise before the test. It was like 20 questions and its all multiple choice! I was not told the dates i flew out here until like two weeks before which was annoying but the bulgarians are really relaxed and leave most things quite late! I would reccomend using SME as they sort out he paperwork and i would not know where to start! The uni fees are 4000 euros a year and the cost of living (including rent and internet and food and the bus ect) is about £5000 a year. I think dad figured it to be about £9000 a year which is what you pay in emgland just for uni! SME cost me £2500 however they are here to support us throughout the 5.5 years. The 'city managers' are two third year medicine students who are the best and know everything you could possibly need to know once you are out here.
I hope that helps and PM me if you are going to visit to check oit the city, i didnt before coming but i know others that did!
Keep the questions coming,
Josh

Ps sorry for the massive blocks of text but i want you to have all the info.
Hi Josh that is really helpful and thank you for all the information!!
Reply 18
Just a few questions I have been asked if anyone else is interested. Get ready there is a lot!

how are the teachers like over there?
The teachers are nice enough but many are quite hard to understand however they go through things slowly and they are always welcome to answer any questions after class. You have both lectures and practical classes every week with different teachers for each class. I don't think I will ever learn their names as they all have names that seem designed to be difficult with the exception of Tsetso a supervisor and genetics teacher (really nice guy who can speak proper English!)
And the campus?
From what I've been told the campus is not nice, the Bulgarians like to party. A lot. That means music every night. Everyone got apartments but they are not that expensive compared to England. I am sharing an apartment in the city centre with my friend. It is 700lev a month so 350 each, that is only about £175 (cheaper than what all my friends in England are paying). We get a kitchen, lounge, two big bedrooms and a bathroom so there is nothing else we would need. Plus it is all new and we got a brand new TV with it!
how big are the classes?
The classes are about 10-15 students and they are mostly Greeks. there are only 4 students from the UK so we were split between the classes. Don't worry though the course is in English and the Greeks have a pretty good grasp of our language! They are all nice and friendly and will help with whatever they can.
how are you guys assessed?
After each semester (6 months) we get an assessment in any given subject. From what I understand it may be multiple choice or normal questions or it may be an assignment. I will know more on this later as it is only my second week and no tests yet (thank god)!
is there are graduation ceremony?(i know its a stupid question but i couldn't find any pictures!)
No question is a stupid question! There are pictures around the university of graduation ceremonies so I would assume so however I will try to remember to ask one of the supervisors, Tsetso or Petko
overall how are you liking it?
I am loving it at the moment, so many new friends and exploring the city and all of its parks is really fun!
how much is the living cost and tuition fees- did you get a loan?
Living cost including internet, food, mobile phone, rent, bus ect might approximately cost me £5000 but it is a bit early to tell. the tuition fees are 4000 Euros so at most I think it will be £9000 a year which is what you pay for tuition fees in England!!! I did not get a loan however dad is looking into it for next year so I may have more info next year.
oh the holidays! how often can you visit home?
They are a bit stingy on holidays :frown: we get 3-4 weeks at christmas, but like 3 months in summer if you pass your exams. We do not get much off extra other than some strange bank holidays!
how long did it take to get you're acceptance letter?
Late June after you do a multiple choice test for Biology, It is just to see what level you are, if you have got that far, you are already in.
Do the agency help you settle in- apartments, phone and banking?
yes, yes and yes. On your first 2-3 days in Bulgaria you will have this sorted out, don't worry about it.
How much did SME charge you in fees?
£2500 in two segments, one at the start of the process and one when you get accepted
Hi there! Im a little late to this discussion, but Im just wondering why did you choose Trakia University? I was going to go through SME but changed to Inter HECS because they were cheaper and was offered the University of Forestry Sofia, with no mention of Trakia? I know its in a smaller city but do you know is there any main differences between the colleges?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending