The Student Room Group

2017 - Asset Management/ Graduate Schemes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TKSR123
i would just like to ask if the asset management criteria are any different from those of investment banking. is there anything that a hopeful internship or graduate scheme candidate should do/have done before applying for one that is different from an investment banking application.

would be very grateful if someone could reply.

Having passed CFA Level I or II is more and more something that candidates would have in their CV.
Reply 21
Original post by MichelT
Having passed CFA Level I or II is more and more something that candidates would have in their CV.

thanks for the reply

more important for an asset management applicant i presume?

is there no other difference? such as types of work experience and/or degree? which one is harder to get into?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by TKSR123
thanks for the reply

more important for an asset management applicant i presume?

is there no other difference? such as types of work experience and/or degree? which one is harder to get into?

Yes definitely more important in AM; in IB only research would find a use to it really. I think both type of schemes require the same type of skillset. Any experience that could be interesting for HR in IB would be in AM. Maybe personal investing adds more value to an AM application as well.

I would say AM is harder to get into. There are way less opportunities and they are getting more popular. Depending on the firm, I would say that the interview experience for AM is relatively more fit-based.
Reply 23
Original post by MichelT
Yes definitely more important in AM; in IB only research would find a use to it really. I think both type of schemes require the same type of skillset. Any experience that could be interesting for HR in IB would be in AM. Maybe personal investing adds more value to an AM application as well.

I would say AM is harder to get into. There are way less opportunities and they are getting more popular. Depending on the firm, I would say that the interview experience for AM is relatively more fit-based.

what do you mean by "fit-based" interview experience?
Reply 24
Has anyone had any communications from the am firms about interviews?
I've applied to the usual suspects and so far have just done the tests for those that want them but haven't got any further.
Reply 25
Original post by MichelT

although bear in mind that you can only take CFA level 1 by the time you graduate (for most people unless you also have 4 years work experience) and only if you take the exam in december, so it's more that you can state that you've started
Reply 26
finally did the M&G testing, anyone else think it was crazy long? took me ages to go through the various types of questions, what's wrong with the classic SHL tests? :colondollar::hahaha:
Reply 27
Original post by tunza1
finally did the M&G testing, anyone else think it was crazy long? took me ages to go through the various types of questions, what's wrong with the classic SHL tests? :colondollar::hahaha:

Wait for the feedback they are going to provide you, a 15 page document full of bs. I think it is ridiculous, there is a limit of what you can learn from someone with a test. Especially when you know that the next step is a pre-recorded interview... I guess it's because they have one of the few AM grad available, they have to trim a lot. Not sure I am going to the next round, I got a lot of average results
Reply 28
Original post by tunza1

Hi. What tests do they require you to do? Last year it was verbal, numerical and inductive, but this year it seems different! Very worried.
Reply 29
Original post by MichelT
Wait for the feedback they are going to provide you, a 15 page document full of bs. I think it is ridiculous, there is a limit of what you can learn from someone with a test. Especially when you know that the next step is a pre-recorded interview... I guess it's because they have one of the few AM grad available, they have to trim a lot. Not sure I am going to the next round, I got a lot of average results

Was it verbal, numerical and inductive tests? The practice tests they supply us with are different..
Reply 30
Original post by diyar95
Was it verbal, numerical and inductive tests? The practice tests they supply us with are different..

10 numerical if I remember and then a never ending flow of modules you cannot prepare, just go for it. I don't remember logical tests
Hey Guys.

To those who have done the m&g tests, like me, yes they are indeed different... and time consuming (I almost missed the football this lunchtime!) ... but they are perhaps a welcome change from the standard ones they use every year.

Also a quickie... has anyone who submitted an app for Fidelity have a status showing 'your application has been successully submitted to our database and will be processed shortly'..... I have had this for a week now and it just seems a departure from what I percieve to be the 'norm', I probably will get a rejection, but it would be good to know no technical/.conspiracy aided my failure.

Good luck to all.... the AM thread is so much less loud than the IB one.... perhaps symbolic of the differences between the two paths I feel.
Original post by MichelT

Yeah I understand exactly your viewpoint; reminds me of the 'strength' based reports some are now using which also come with the aforementioned dreaded doc on your key attributes from a made up scenario.
Reply 33
Original post by enterunsername

Good luck to all.... the AM thread is so much less loud than the IB one.... perhaps symbolic of the differences between the two paths I feel.

What puzzles me is that the thread is way less active than last year as well. Although I am sure the number of applicants for AM keeps increasing.
Reply 34
Has anyone sniffed a phone interview yet at this point :s?
Anyone know what the fidelity numerical test is like?
Reply 36
In reply to JackersAFC:

Fidelity has a standard SHL numerical test. Its the first thing they ask after you enter your email address and name; you need to meet the minimum benchmark before you get near any application questions!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Has anyone had an AM HSBC telephone interview and wouldn't mind sharing some question examples? It would be much appreciated
Has anyone heard back from M&G after the video interview? How long did that take?
Reply 39
Original post by bcg22
Has anyone had an AM HSBC telephone interview and wouldn't mind sharing some question examples? It would be much appreciated

Hi, is this for grad? When did you apply?

Quick Reply

Latest