The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SB001
Do you have to apply for both A100 and A101 courses separately as a graduate? Or if you are unsuccessful for A101, do they consider you for A100?

I've got a UKCAT average of 686 - what was last years "cut off" for interview for graduates?

Any idea on how important they view your personal statement? I've got volunteering / work experienced lined up at a hospice / hospital, but due to the DBS backlog still have not had my certificate, and probably won't be able to start for another month or so.

You can apply to A100 only if you want to do the undergrad course or A101 if you want to do the grad course. Some people apply to both A100 and A101 to maximise their chances but I do think the A101 is extremely competitive. I don't think they consider you for A100 if you apply for A101 and are unsuccessful. Last year's cutoff for undergrad was 682.5 not sure about the cutoff for grad. I really want to apply as an undergrad but with a 690 score I think I might be risking it 😞
They don't rank the PS to be invited for an interview. You just need the right grades and a UKCAT score above their cutoff
Hi I visited Newcastle for the first time this weekend because I missed the open day, and I liked it! I live in London, so a bit unsure about moving and being able to integrate well and spend 5 years there. I'm Chinese, and I notice that sometimes there seems to be a divide between international students and local students - so I hope this doesn't happen!

In terms of the selection process, is it mainly UKCAT? I have 9A* 1A GCSE, A*A*A* prediction, UKCAT 723 SJ band 2. So, I hope I can get an interview :smile:

I was intially torn between Kings and Newcastle, but I quite like campus unis and Newcastle's teaching style. On the other hand, Kings is in London, which is closer to home, and seems to have more global connections.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!
Original post by keenlimabean
Hi I visited Newcastle for the first time this weekend because I missed the open day, and I liked it! I live in London, so a bit unsure about moving and being able to integrate well and spend 5 years there. I'm Chinese, and I notice that sometimes there seems to be a divide between international students and local students - so I hope this doesn't happen!

In terms of the selection process, is it mainly UKCAT? I have 9A* 1A GCSE, A*A*A* prediction, UKCAT 723 SJ band 2. So, I hope I can get an interview :smile:

I was intially torn between Kings and Newcastle, but I quite like campus unis and Newcastle's teaching style. On the other hand, Kings is in London, which is closer to home, and seems to have more global connections.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Your UKCAT is really good, and I think you have a very good chance of interview at either, so really, just apply where you prefer :h:
Kings is bigger than Newcastle by ~100 students, so if you would prefer a larger school, choose Kings and vice versa.
Both are internationally renown medical schools, so you're not going to be disadvantaged at either I don't think, and you end up with a GMC accredited degree either way, so really, it's up to which you prefer, and which of the teaching styles you'd rather be taught with :wink:
I'm thinking of applying to Newcastle for 2017 entry.

I got 2010 in my UKCAT:
500 in VR
820 in AR
690 in QR
Band 2 in SJ

I've already completed my A levels with AAAB in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths respectively.

Would this be alright for Newcastle?
Hello, I really love Newcastle Uni and really want to apply but my UKCAT didn't go so well and I got an average score of 670 (2010).
VR= 570
QR= 740
AR= 700
Band 2
AS grades= AAAA
A2 predicted= A* A* A
GCSE grades= 6 A*s and 3 As
I have done lots of volunteering and work experience!
I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for me in terms of applying and what chances I would have of getting an interview :smile:

Thank you!!!
VR: 590
QR:700
AR: 640
so total of 1930 which is awful
Band 1 in SJ which I'm happy about but does Newcastle even look at that?
My gcse grades aren't the best either with 5 A's and 6 B's. Currently have predicted A's in my a levels but I really wanted to get an interview for Newcastle but there is no way ill even be considered with that ukcat score:frown:
Is the ukcat literally all that Newcastle looks at for interviews? I dont know what to do
Does anyone know how many people newcastle interview?
Original post by pandaronium
Does anyone know how many people newcastle interview?

I think it's about 800, but I'm not completely certain.
Hey guys! Im applying for the Newcastle a100 course but am actually currently a third year biomed at Newcastle so if anyone has any questions in the admin process or what Newcastle is like then just ask! I'm pretty well versed in it all :smile:
Original post by greenfeather
Hey guys! Im applying for the Newcastle a100 course but am actually currently a third year biomed at Newcastle so if anyone has any questions in the admin process or what Newcastle is like then just ask! I'm pretty well versed in it all :smile:

Hello, I was just wondering if you would be able to give me your opinion on what a strong score for UKCAT would be to apply to Newcastle for medicine?? :smile: Thank you so much!!
Original post by nickynjoe
Hello, I was just wondering if you would be able to give me your opinion on what a strong score for UKCAT would be to apply to Newcastle for medicine?? :smile: Thank you so much!!

Honestly it depends on a lot of factors. Firstly, it depends on the average score country wide, but it always depends on the scores of those who actually apply to Newcastle. So for example, the year I first applied (2013/2014) the average was way way up so the cut off was high. But that meant the year after no one wanted to apply for fear of a high cut off so no one applied so it fell a lot, and then the year after the opposite happened etc....honestly this year it's hard to say because of the elimination of DA, but I'd say anything over 680 has an excellent chance of interview...but to be honest this is all speculation and educated guesses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly it depends on a lot of factors. Firstly, it depends on the average score country wide, but it always depends on the scores of those who actually apply to Newcastle. So for example, the year I first applied (2013/2014) the average was way way up so the cut off was high. But that meant the year after no one wanted to apply for fear of a high cut off so no one applied so it fell a lot, and then the year after the opposite happened etc....honestly this year it's hard to say because of the elimination of DA, but I'd say anything over 680 has an excellent chance of interview...but to be honest this is all speculation and educated guesses

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot that actually gave me hope haha!
As you say there is no way of knowing for sure but most people seem to think that anything below 710 is not good enough... how can they be so sure though? (You can tell I am desperately trying to convince myself that I have a shot haha).
Original post by kayasparkles
As you say there is no way of knowing for sure but most people seem to think that anything below 710 is not good enough... how can they be so sure though? (You can tell I am desperately trying to convince myself that I have a shot haha).

Honestly, anything above 700 has a very good shot at Newcastle. The averages seem to be relatively constant, and considering averages are usually around 685, I'd say 690 has a decent chance, also!
Original post by kayasparkles

No no, theres no way of being able to tell and to be honest 710 is a high estimate to be on the safe side :smile: Do remember though that NCL dont look at the situational judgement or your personal statement so maybe if youre particuarly strong in those areas then something like kings would be better for you?
Hello, I really love Newcastle Uni and really want to apply but my UKCAT didn't go so well and I got an average score of 670 (2010).
VR= 570
QR= 740
AR= 700
Band 2
AS grades= AAAA
A2 predicted= A* A* A
GCSE grades= 6 A*s and 3 As
I have done lots of volunteering and work experience!
I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for me in terms of applying and what chances I would have of getting an interview :smile:

Thank you!!!

Honestly 670 would be on the border I think..not guaranteed rejection but by no means an interview either so if you're willing to take a gamble then thats your choice. Plus, remember that newcastle doesnt look at GCSE grades, give extra points to predicted grades higher than AAA or look at personal statements
Honestly 670 would be on the border I think..not guaranteed rejection but by no means an interview either so if you're willing to take a gamble then thats your choice. Plus, remember that newcastle doesnt look at GCSE grades, give extra points to predicted grades higher than AAA or look at personal statements

I do love the university but I feel like my score is too low to apply there!! By any chance do you know if they look at everything together or if you have below the UKCAT score then they won't even consider you or look at anything else? Thank you so much for your advice :smile:
I do love the university but I feel like my score is too low to apply there!! By any chance do you know if they look at everything together or if you have below the UKCAT score then they won't even consider you or look at anything else? Thank you so much for your advice :smile:

Essentially how Newcastle do it is they screen for their minimum requirements which is just AAA prediction for a level I think, and eliminate those who don't have that. Then they rank all applicants by ukcat score (ignoring the situational judgment rank) and take the top 800-1000 or so to interview. Then once you're at interview, whether you get an offer or not is based purely on your score at interview so your ukcat doesn't matter anymore at that point. If they interview everyone and still don't have enough people who meet their standards they may interview a lower ukcat score but that's a very unlikely scenario
Reply 137
Hi, I'd love to apply for Newcastle but not sure whether it's worth it or not as my UKCAT isn't great?
GCSE's: 9A* and 3A
AS results: AAAA (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Religious Studies)
UKCAT: 650 average (VR 530, QR 710, AR 700, SJT Band 2)

Would it be a wasted application or would I stand a chance of an interview? Thanks!
Reply 138
Essentially how Newcastle do it is they screen for their minimum requirements which is just AAA prediction for a level I think, and eliminate those who don't have that. Then they rank all applicants by ukcat score (ignoring the situational judgment rank) and take the top 800-1000 or so to interview. Then once you're at interview, whether you get an offer or not is based purely on your score at interview so your ukcat doesn't matter anymore at that point. If they interview everyone and still don't have enough people who meet their standards they may interview a lower ukcat score but that's a very unlikely scenario

Hi
I am applying as a International student from Canada.

my predicted IB scores are HL 6,6,5 ( Bio/Chem/ History) and SL 6,6,5 (Math/French/Eng)

UKCAT: VR700/AR890/QA900 SJT Band2 Avg 830

wondering if I stand a chance for interview.
Thanks
Due to the mean scores being published today at 1893, does anyone have any more information/advice on what they suspect the cut off could be for medicine at Newcastle??? :smile:

Quick Reply