The Student Room Group

Which is better for your career - uni or an apprenticeship?

A large proportion of parents now believe apprenticeships are better for their children's careers than degrees, according to this article.

With the cost of university rising, it's not just students who are noticing the strain; Some parents are 'expected to pay up to £5,372 a year' towards university costs' with the current loan structure and are now beginning to believe degrees may not be the quickest route to success.

Although apprentices initially start out with lower pay (the minimum wage is £3.30 an hour) there are many draws - including the prospect of long-term employment and an early career that starts out with far less debt than going the uni route. Which is one of the reasons why they are now looking so appealing.

I personally have a degree and think the uni experience (not necessarily the degree itself...) was one of the most valuable times in my life. Most importantly it gave me time and space to grow AND time and enough money to live off to get an internship in my final year (which started me off in my career).

I haven't got an apprenticeship but think it's a great way to start out. My boyfriend had a career change a few years ago and says looking back he wishes he had done an apprenticeship - as it would have got him where he wants to be quicker.

But which do you think is better for a career - uni degrees or apprenticeships?

choices.jpeg

Scroll to see replies

When it comes to content heavy, vocational, regulated courses like law, engineering, natural sciences, medicine, nursing etc, there is no way in hell you are getting anywhere without uni.
Original post by KardasDragon
When it comes to content heavy, vocational, regulated courses like law, engineering, natural sciences, medicine, nursing etc, there is no way in hell you are getting anywhere without uni.

Apprenticeships can send you to uni - with your fees paid :smile:

Obv check you're not signing up to be an apprentice poundland shelf stacker if you want to be an engineer.
Original post by KardasDragon

Actually you can do law apprenticeships or cilex and then join the food chain further up the food chain at either GDL or the LPC. If you have a good firm to apprentice at then the experience would be invaluable and marketable. That would enable you to bypass Uni and just get the professional qualifications. Irs alwats worth investigating alternate paths into a profession.
Uni
Seems to be a trend in engineering that apprenticeships are surpassing grad schemes.
You have 6 years as an apprentice learning a job, and studying for your degree, and come out the end up to speed on a full salary, rather than 2 years on a full salary, still learning. You're more desirable to the company because you already understand how they want you to work. Plus, because you've been with the company for 6 years already, it's easy to see whether you're right for management roles because you've had so much time in the company already.
It seems to be an easier way in to it this way, and you still have your degree, without the debt.
Depends on the career. Most professions require a legit certified standardised degree. In my case for instance, the only route into the profession is the Masters of Pharmacy (M.Pharm) course. Then postgraduate, a year on the job training and mentoring, followed the actual professional exam. Until then, you can't practice unattended. And if specifically going into research, rather than retail or hospital pharmacy, having a doctorate (Phd) is expected
Something like electrician, good well paid job and always in demand, probably does't require too much theory and maths (but still some). Probably better on an apprenticeship as it's more directly hand's on.
Well I'm doing both tbh so I'm content with it.
But I personally believe apprenticeships to be better as they allow you to learn in the real world.
You experience what goes on in a working enviroment whereas uni is still you being taught by someone.
You're not doing the actual work.
Apprenticeships also still allow you to learn and you get paid for it too!
Do no debt at the end of it!
Apprenticeships are really for those who want less studying and more practical work because it fits with their personality
Nearly every company/firm asks for a 2:1 in a specific subject so going to university opens a ton of doors
Original post by samantham999
Apprenticeships are really for those who want less studying and more practical work because it fits with their personality
Nearly every company/firm asks for a 2:1 in a specific subject so going to university opens a ton of doors

So my degree from Warwick that I'll get with my apprenticeship is worthless? OK, my £35,000 a year apprentice salary makes that fact easier to deal with.
Original post by Donkey******
So my degree from Warwick that I'll get with my apprenticeship is worthless? OK, my £35,000 a year apprentice salary makes that fact easier to deal with.

No no, I am saying that people tend to do apprenticeships and continue as its more focused on practical work, of course you could still go to university
Employers look for that 2:1 and I am saying a degree in general opens a lot of doors rather than doing a regular apprenticeship with no intention of studying at university

Warwick is a great university btw :smile:
No no, I am saying that people tend to do apprenticeships and continue as its more focused on practical work, of course you could still go to university
Employers look for that 2:1 and I am saying a degree in general opens a lot of doors rather than doing a regular apprenticeship with no intention of studying at university

Warwick is a great university btw :smile:

But my apprenticeship includes my university degree. Part of my apprenticeship structure is that degree. The difference between your conventional access and my apprenticeship access is I already get paid, I already have a job, I'll have zero uni debt and I'll already have 6 years of experience if I choose to leave the company. So in terms of a career, why is your university course a better option than my apprenticeship?

What firm do you work for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TurtleberrySoup
What firm do you work for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

JLR
But my apprenticeship includes my university degree. Part of my apprenticeship structure is that degree. The difference between your conventional access and my apprenticeship access is I already get paid, I already have a job, I'll have zero uni debt and I'll already have 6 years of experience if I choose to leave the company. So in terms of a career, why is your university course a better option than my apprenticeship?

I'm not in debt because my parents are paying my university fees directly
Many university students will also have a salary of 18k from the internship in their second year

So you're saying you study 3 full years at warwick and complete the same work as everyone else in your course?
You want a specific job and you can get it via an apprenticeship? The apprenticeship is always gonna be better assuming it is with a decent firm.
I'm not in debt because my parents are paying my university fees directly
Many university students will also have a salary of 18k from the internship in their second year

So you're saying you study 3 full years at warwick and complete the same work as everyone else in your course?

So how are you supporting yourself? Or are they paying for that as well?
So for the rest of us who weren't born to a silver spoon, it's a case of 27k in course fees alone, + your living loans. That adds up.

Not everyone has the opportunity to do an internship, everyone on an apprenticeship gets paid.

I'll do 4 years on block release and come out with Applied Engineering, and a steady job, with 6 years experience. My job isn't particularly hands on, but I have hands on skills that make me more useful than a graduate. The grads in my department even say, they've never so much as played with a car, so can't do a lot of the things they need to, so have to ask people to do them for them.
Applied engineering is not the same as engineering
Why are you being so rude? you don't have to justify an apprenticeship, just because its **** lol you do you and get the hell out weirdo

I haven't been rude in the slightest.

Apologies if your sense or privilege makes it difficult to deal with criticism. I'm sure mummy and daddy can send you some more money to help you through it.
I haven't been rude in the slightest.

Apologies if your sense or privilege makes it difficult to deal with criticism. I'm sure mummy and daddy can send you some more money to help you through it.

My dad actually passed away in May and my parents saved a lot of money for me to go to university so I'm really confused

Look, if you're doing an apprenticeship and it makes you happy then keep going? but many of us want a university degree
My dad actually passed away in May and my parents saved a lot of money for me to go to university so I'm really confused

Look, if you're doing an apprenticeship and it makes you happy then keep going? but many of us want a university degree

The discussion is what's better for your career, degree or apprenticeship. I already have a career and as part of that I'm getting a university degree as part of it. Difference is, I'm already on the ladder, you'll be scraping around after graduation.

You appear to have taken something personally because I objected to your point of view.

Consider yourself lucky that you've had your education paid for you, rather than having to suffer the debts as many others do, even if it is in unfortunate circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending