The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RosieHE
Does anyone know whether Barts or Southampton look at personal statement? As I don't think Warwick or Nottingham do so not sure whether I need to worry in making it great

Yes, Barts and Southampton do. From what I have heard Nottingham do too. only Warwick doesn't*:smile:.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I try to focus on the fact that I tend to do better in exams that I feel went badly.

Oh god. I know. A day is going to feel like eternity.

What does everyone think about Jeremy Hunt's plans to introduce more places for med students? I mean he says it's to tackle GP shortages but aren't we just going to end up with more people running around after surgiery and more people not wanting to do primary care?

I really hope it results in more places for grad entry medicine though.

I was hoping the same, hope places for 2018 GEM increases.
I was after some sort of advice for 1 undergrad uni to apply to.
I've got a 2:1 degree in BMedSci and I'm looking to apply to an undergrad choice as my 4th option.

My ukcat average is 743, so maybe a ukcat heavy university.

A-levels: AABbb
GCSE: 4 A*s, 8As etc

I've got all the relevant work experience. Anyone with any ideas on where would be best to apply as my 4th option?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rosser1994
I was after some sort of advice for 1 undergrad uni to apply to.
I've got a 2:1 degree in BMedSci and I'm looking to apply to an undergrad choice as my 4th option.

My ukcat average is 743, so maybe a ukcat heavy university.

A-levels: AABbb
GCSE: 4 A*s, 8As etc

I've got all the relevant work experience. Anyone with any ideas on where would be best to apply as my 4th option?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless you have won the lottery, or have a very wealthy family,. I don't know why you would apply for the 5 year course with a UKCAT of 743!
Original post by NHSFan
Unless you have won the lottery, or have a very wealthy family,. I don't know why you would apply for the 5 year course with a UKCAT of 743!

I'd imagine with a 2:1 I'd only realistically be able to get to the interview stage at 3 interviews, can't imagine it would be worth applying to Newcastle with the few amount of spaces available.
Thoughts on 723.3 SJT Band 1 anyone??
Reply 1706
For Barts and the London: "For the first time, this year Graduate candidates were ranked on a 50/50 weighting of UKCAT scores
and Academic Points, which mirrors the system used for school leavers. As graduate qualificationsare not included in the UCAS Tariff, we developed our own system where we assigned AcademicPoints for different graduate qualifications."

Does anyone know how academic points are assigned for graduate qualifications? I don't understand why this is being kept so cryptic - the UCAS tariff point system is calculated and described so well by the school, but for graduates it's a mystery.

2:1, 1st, Masters, PHD? How are these ranked, and how are masters viewed? Any idea about CGPAs / non-UK degrees apart from min. 3.6?

Just nervous because I don't know if I should even apply to Barts - I've a decent 700+ UKCAT but a 3.6 + CGPA from New York (assuming it's a 2:1), and a 3.4 GPA from my Masters.

Again from many discussions and posts, it seems like having a 2:1 but with a high UKCAT meant very little chance of even getting an interview, but people with mid 600s and a 1st have gotten interview from Barts this past year!

If anyone can shed some light - that'd be great. I tried calling to ask but no one answered.
Reply 1707
I'd imagine with a 2:1 I'd only realistically be able to get to the interview stage at 3 interviews, can't imagine it would be worth applying to Newcastle with the few amount of spaces available.

Where are you applying out of interest?

Warwick, King's and Southampton?

Was just wondering, as GEM is a big enough financial undertaking, let alone a 5 year course.
Original post by NHSFan

I'm applying for majority undergrad courses with 750. Even with high UKCAT scores the GEM is crazy competitive...
Original post by Hormonal
Hey guys, I'm considering applying for the 4 year course at KCL.

I have achieved a 2:1 in Biomedical Sciences and got a UKCAT of 750. I've done 6 months of volunteering on a hospital ward, but apart from that I haven't done any relevant work experience or volunteering. I'm also applying for the 5 year course at KCL.

What are my chances like?

you have a very high ukcat

why apply for the 5 year?

you stand a good chance at warwick for the 4 year. less money and shorter time.

just curious?
Original post by rayrk
For Barts and the London: "For the first time, this year Graduate candidates were ranked on a 50/50 weighting of UKCAT scores
and Academic Points, which mirrors the system used for school leavers. As graduate qualificationsare not included in the UCAS Tariff, we developed our own system where we assigned AcademicPoints for different graduate qualifications."

Does anyone know how academic points are assigned for graduate qualifications? I don't understand why this is being kept so cryptic - the UCAS tariff point system is calculated and described so well by the school, but for graduates it's a mystery.

2:1, 1st, Masters, PHD? How are these ranked, and how are masters viewed? Any idea about CGPAs / non-UK degrees apart from min. 3.6?

Just nervous because I don't know if I should even apply to Barts - I've a decent 700+ UKCAT but a 3.6 + CGPA from New York (assuming it's a 2:1), and a 3.4 GPA from my Masters.

Again from many discussions and posts, it seems like having a 2:1 but with a high UKCAT meant very little chance of even getting an interview, but people with mid 600s and a 1st have gotten interview from Barts this past year!

If anyone can shed some light - that'd be great. I tried calling to ask but no one answered.

it seems they wanted 1st classes last year
Original post by Lostperson
you have a very high ukcat

why apply for the 5 year?

you stand a good chance at warwick for the 4 year. less money and shorter time.

just curious?

I don't have 70 hours work experience within the past two years.
Original post by NHSFan
Warwick, King's and Southampton?

Was just wondering, as GEM is a big enough financial undertaking, let alone a 5 year course.

Spot on. Just trying to decide on the last, don't have a first so Barts is out. Potentially Newcastle, but yeah I know a 5 year course is ridiculous for funding.. it would mean taking out a pretty huge loan to cover it all. So may not be worth it from that angle, if I were to though.. where would you consider?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't have 70 hours work experience within the past two years.

what about southampton. they would love ur ukcat
what about southampton. they would love ur ukcat

I'm applying there, but not for the 4 year course. I think you overestimate the value of the UKCAT...
I'm applying there, but not for the 4 year course. I think you overestimate the value of the UKCAT...

fair enough ...

i just thought you stood a good chance at GEM cause of your score, given that all the GEM unis that require a score...choose for interview based on score.

sorry if you felt i was putting you off or anything, i was just trying to encourage you . good luck with the apps.
fair enough ...

i just thought you stood a good chance at GEM cause of your score, given that all the GEM unis that require a score...choose for interview based on score.

Thank you, but GEM students usually have tons of experience and stellar extracurriculars. I honestly didn't expect to be in a position to have a GEM competitive UKCAT since the first time I did it, I got 660. If I didn't underestimate myself I would've prepared experience and what not.
(edited 7 years ago)

You do know that Southampton invite to interview literally on the basis of your ukcat? If you have a high score you will definitely get an interview, and once you're at interview your chances of getting in are pretty high.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending