The Student Room Group

I'm 22 and have never known anyone who's died, is that weird?

Is it just a huge coincidence or is it normal at my age not to know anyone who's died? All of my grandparents passed away before I was born and no-one else I know is close to old age; my mom and dad are late 30s and my extended family are pretty much non-existent. And all my friends are younger than 30. Obviously there are more ways to die than old age but you know.
Original post by Anonymous
Is it just a huge coincidence or is it normal at my age not to know anyone who's died? All of my grandparents passed away before I was born and no-one else I know is close to old age; my mom and dad are late 30s and my extended family are pretty much non-existent. And all my friends are younger than 30. Obviously there are more ways to die than old age but you know.

It is a bit.. and I guess inteteresting that your grandparents had your parents fairly late and/or your parents had you really young.. but nothing to be concerned about. You're not missing out on much..
Both of my parents are dead, as are my grandparents. I lost one husband and one stillborn baby. Brought up in the late 40's to 60s, quite a few children in care with me died of, diphtheria, measles, and other illnesses and some suicides in the children's home, but they were hushed up.
Consider yourself lucky, OP. It carries baggage.
your move

Personally I find it incredibly strange but then I m 21 and been to 7 funerals and as my dad died when I was 9 (and I m very fortunate to have gotten years with having all 4 grandparents in my life) to me it seems strange to have gone that many years without experiencing death but then maybe I m not normal :tongue:. Saying that after the 1st death/ with age it can be easier to deal with.
I had an uncle that died, two grandpas, one grandma, one friend and plenty of cats...
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM
It is a bit.. and I guess inteteresting that your grandparents had your parents fairly late and/or your parents had you really young.. but nothing to be concerned about. You're not missing out on much..

My parents were young, I don't know how old my grandparents were. I think they were a normal age to have kids.
I know this is awful, obviously I don't want anyone to die but...I kind of wish I had already experienced it...oh god that sounds so terrible. But (from what I hear) it's much easier to get over as a kid and if you experience loss for the first time as an adult it hits you a lot harder because you don't know how to deal with it. I hope that's not true.
Reply 7
Original post by Seamus123
Both of my parents are dead, as are my grandparents. I lost one husband and one stillborn baby. Brought up in the late 40's to 60s, quite a few children in care with me died of, diphtheria, measles, and other illnesses and some suicides in the children's home, but they were hushed up.
Consider yourself lucky, OP. It carries baggage.

That's awful. I'm so sorry.
I'm a few years older than you and I haven't either.

Three of my grandparents died long before I was born, all my friends and family are in good health, and i've not heard anything about people from my past who's death would affect me (e.g an old friend or a school teacher).

We're the lucky ones. Unfortunately there's an awful lot of people I know who have had childhood friends die young, parents die, other family members die for a variety of reasons and it's just heartbreaking to even think of their stories. I don't know how i'd cope if that was me.
I can change that for you, if you want.
Was going to say, Well you have a lot of funerals coming up then!
But then you said they are already dead. :redface:kay:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending