The Student Room Group

Will Trump supporters accept democracy if they lose, unlike Remoaners?

Well all summer we have been treated to the moans of lefties that can't accept democracy:

"We need a second vote"

"It's not fair - they won by LYING to us"

"It's not fair - the media was all against us and biased the vote"

"We have to reverse the result as our country is finished"

Now Donald Trump is fighting a valiant campaign, but in the event that he loses to Hilary, will the right wingers that support him show the Remoaners about how democracy really works, accepting the result of the vote and getting behind Hilary to deliver the best for the USA.

Or will they all start bleating like bitter Remoaners?:giggle:
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Well all summer we have been treated to the moans of lefties that can't accept democracy:

"We need a second vote"

Now Donald Trump is fighting a valiant campaign, but in the event that he loses to Hilary, will the right wingers that support him show the Remoaners about how democracy really works, accepting the result of the vote and getting behind Hilary to deliver the best for the USA.

I think you're really misrepresenting a lot of the arguments there. Most have called for a vote on the exact terms of any deal agreed under Article 50, since the exact consequences of Brexit were unknown at the time of the referendum. You can disagree with this, but it doesn't seem inherently undemocratic - after all, we have elections once every few years, precisely because things change and so do people's opinions. They're also right to say the media was biased - whether that's a problem or not is another matter, but in terms of the print media at least it's undisputable that the main papers openly supported Brexit.

If Trump loses though, I think you'll see a whole lot worse. Unlike the Remain campaign, he's been openly encouraging his supporters to consider the possibility of the election being rigged, alongside the persistent "Crooked Hillary" meme. It's likely that many would consider him to have been cheated, especially where they don't understand why he lost despite having huge support in their own communities.I expect a lot of people to call it illigitimate and protest and unfortunately an (at least attempted) act of domestic terrorism wouldn't actually surprise me in the slightest.
Reply 2
In all seriousness, people who voted Brexit did so on pure ideology. They didn't know (and still don't) or didn't even care about the consequences. It's just the 'because I say so' type of vote.

You coming here and moaning about 'remoaners' only proves this.

And that's why democracy in its current form will never work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
not sure, but I think Trump has already said he would support Hillary if she wins.

"We need a second vote"

No more than Nixon did in 1960 or Reagan in 1976 or Clinton in 2008.

In a democracy, anyone is entitled to say that the electorate got it wrong and given another chance they will back who they refused to support previously.

"We need a second vote"

That's not how democracy works. You'll have to accept the result but you don't have to support it. We may aswell live in a one party system if we're meant to 'get behind' the victor.

Trump supporters will probably say that the vote was rigged by the establishment. I think in the US there is a lot less trust in the election system than there is in the UK. We may not like the results of an election but we probably wouldn't claim it was rigged.

Some people want a second referendum. I have no particular interests in this, but I like the idea of a referndum on the terms of our exit. This isn't because I'm a ''lefty'', there are Tory MPs in Government who have advocated another referendum also.

Do you have any particular reason for posting this or did you just want to complain about ''Remoaners'' and ''Lefties''? This isn't the kind of thread I would have expected from you, to be honest. O_o
Original post by SHallowvale

Do you have any particular reason for posting this or did you just want to complain about ''Remoaners'' and ''Lefties''? This isn't the kind of thread I would have expected from you, to be honest. O_o

I don't have any problem with remoaners and lefties. I'm a leftie (although a Brexit leftie).

I suspect there is a high correlation between people that complain about remoaners and say "get over it" and support for Trump.

So I just wanted to check that the Trump supporters were able to show a higher moral standard of being able to accept a democratic result if it goes for Clinton. Including Trump himself of course.

After the election we will see....:holmes:
Reply 7
If you can't accept "Remoaners" exercising their to protest, then it seems you might be the one who can't accept democracy :dontknow:
I'm a leftie.

I knew it! :five:
Original post by Reaver Daniels
Trump supporters probably won't realise that they've lost. They're not the brightest matchsticks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wait, so voting only for *trump* is unintelligent? what about hillary? why is voting for her something intelligent? there is empirical evidence of her being a corrupt and undesirable lying individual - what has trump done in office that got him kicked out, for instance? I don't get your reasoning - while trump hasn't got "experience" (as obama didn't), hillary has experience of being corrupt or at least incompetent in office...surely that's far worse...?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze
wait, so voting only for *trump* is unintelligent? what about hillary? why is voting for her something intelligent? there is empirical evidence of her being a corrupt and undesirable lying individual - what has trump done in office that got him kicked out, for instance? I don't get your reasoning - while trump hasn't got "experience" (as obama didn't), hillary has experience of being corrupt or at least incompetent in office...surely that's far worse...?

Yeah, but Trump has proven himself plenty of times to a moron with bad ideas. Hillary isn't Goddess but when it comes down to weighing your options she is the better candidate.
I think a better comparison for the sake of the question would be when the anti-democracy thugs sorry I mean "anti-austerity protesters" rioted I mean "protested" in London when the Tories won the last election. But to answer your question, no.*
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending