The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kiiten
9x + 12 ??

I still feel like this is wrong and if i had a similar question i wouldnt know how to get it into the correct form. I understood what you said but it 'didnt hit me' (i wouldnt have thought og answering it like this) :biggrin:

I'm not sure what your 9x+12 is referring to, the ax + b? I haven't done this myself so I don't know what the answer is.

(x+1)^3 6 (x+2)^5 + (x+2)^6 3(x+1)^2

But thats not in the form (x+1)^2 (x+2)^5 (ax + b) D:

given c = (x+2), d = (x+1), the differentiated output is 6d3c5+3c6d2 6d^3c^5 + 3c^6d^2 and the required form is d2c5(ax+b)d^2c^5(ax+b)... how have the two terms been turned into one?
Original post by SeanFM
I'm not sure what your 9x+12 is referring to, the ax + b? I haven't done this myself so I don't know what the answer is.

given c = (x+2), d = (x+1), the differentiated output is 6d3c5+3c6d2 6d^3c^5 + 3c^6d^2 and the required form is d2c5(ax+b)d^2c^5(ax+b)... how have the two terms been turned into one?

Oh yeah, sorry i mean is ax + b = 9x + 12.

Yeah thats what i did - kinda....Screenshot 2016-10-05 19.21.53.png
Original post by kiiten
Oh yeah, sorry i mean is ax + b = 9x + 12.

Yeah thats what i did - kinda....Screenshot 2016-10-05 19.21.53.png

Looks right to me :smile: does it look right to you?
Original post by SeanFM
Looks right to me :smile: does it look right to you?

Yes? Yayyy finally im so glad i finally answered this question now. Thanks for your help :h: - and sorry if i was annoying.
Original post by kiiten
Yes? Yayyy finally im so glad i finally answered this question now. Thanks for your help :h: - and sorry if i was annoying.

When you are stuck it is important to look at the definitions and similar examples, then think about what topics the question is testing you on, and if a form is given, how you can get to it (rather than looking at it and wondering why your answer isn't in the correct form when you think you have done everything right)
Right so the question is to express:

f(x)=(2x+3)/(x-1) as f(x)=a + b/(x-1)

Was I right to do this...

(2x+3)/(x-1)=a + b/(x-1)

(2x+3)=a(x-1) + b

sub x=1

5=b

sub b=5 and then end up a=2

so f(x) = 2 +5/(x-1)

Was this the correct method? I just used the partial fractions method, but this question is for C3, although it did work.
Original post by jamestg
Right so the question is to express:

f(x)=(2x+3)/(x-1) as f(x)=a + b/(x-1)

Was I right to do this...

(2x+3)/(x-1)=a + b/(x-1)

(2x+3)=a(x-1) + b

sub x=1

5=b

sub b=5 and then end up a=2

so f(x) = 2 +5/(x-1)

Was this the correct method? I just used the partial fractions method, but this question is for C3, although it did work.

It's correct. But it may be easier to realise that 2x+3x12(x1)+5x1 \displaystyle \frac{2x+3}{x-1} \equiv \frac{2(x-1)+5}{x-1} and split the fraction up.
You can also just do it using algebraic division as you normally would
Original post by B_9710
It's correct. But it may be easier to realise that 2x+3x12(x1)+5x1 \displaystyle \frac{2x+3}{x-1} \equiv \frac{2(x-1)+5}{x-1} and split the fraction up.
You can also just do it using algebraic division as you normally would

Damn, algebraic division would have been much easier...

At least I now know this before the exam :colondollar:

Thanks for your help!
Reply 928
Hi, are there any relatively easy STEP I papers from recent years? I was told that 2007 was relatively easy but I could only manage 4 questions out of that paper.
Original post by Palette
Hi, are there any relatively easy STEP I papers from recent years? I was told that 2007 was relatively easy but I could only manage 4 questions out of that paper.

Can someone help me with implicit differentiation?

Find the gradient of 3y=8x24x23y33y=\frac{8x^2}{4x^2-3y^3} at the point (3,2)

I got the answer to be 49\frac{4}{9} but it's wrong.
image.jpg

Working out maybe helpful
Original post by jamestg
Can someone help me with implicit differentiation?

Find the gradient of 3y=8x24x23y33y=\frac{8x^2}{4x^2-3y^3} at the point (3,2)

I got the answer to be 49\frac{4}{9} but it's wrong.

Multiply both sides by the denom

12x^2y-9y^4=8x^2
differentiate with respect to x
24xy+12x^2(dy/dx)-36y^3(dy/dx)=16x
(dy/dx)(12x^2-36y^3)=16x-24xy
put in the numbers
(dy/dx)(108-288)=48-144
dy/dx=-96/-180=16/30=8/15
(edited 7 years ago)
Whoops realised when I did the quotient rule I didn't divide by v2v^{2}
Original post by MathMoFarah
Multiply both sides by the denom

12x^2y-9y^4=8x^2
differentiate with respect to x
24xy+12x^2(dy/dx)-36y^3(dy/dx)=16x
(dy/dx)(12x^2-36y^3)=16x-24xy
put in the numbers
(dy/dx)(108-288)=48-144
dy/dx=-96/-180=16/30=8/15

Damn I even considered doing it that way initially :frown:

Thanks for the help!
Q1.7
How many zeros are there at the end of the number 100! ?
I don't get what that exclamation mark means, and 2 isn't the answer. I remember using it as symbol in AS maths but not anything else.

Q1.11
A salesmen drives from L to B. The first half of the distance he drives at a constant speed of 80 mph. The second half he drives at a constant speed of 120 mph. What is his average speed for the total journey?

I don't understand why the answer is 96 mph and not 100?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by medhelp
Q1.7
How many zeros are there at the end of the number 100! ?
I don't get what that exclamation mark means, and 2 isn't the answer. I remember using it as symbol in AS maths but not anything else.

Q1.11
A salesmen drives from L to B. The first half of the distance he drives at a constant speed of 80 mph. The second half he drives at a constant speed of 120 mph. What is his average speed for the total journey?

I don't understand why the answer is 96 mph and not 100?

100! just means 100 x 99 x 98 x 97 x ... x 1.

A smaller example to show you in full; 5! is 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120

the second one is deceptive, it tricks you into just finding the average of the speeds but you have to remember that the first half of the journey took longer to complete than the second half. Work out the time taken for each half separately and go from there
How would you find the period in radians of y=cosec4x (does the period tell you the intervals where the graph repeats?)

My book says y=cosecx repeats after 2pi intervals. How do you find this for transformed graphs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 938
cosec(x) is 1/sin(x).

sin(x) repeats every 2pi, therefore so does 1/sin(x).

regarding transformed graphs: consider x slowly increasing from 0 to 2*pi. Now consider what happens to 2x in the same time. It reaches twice the distance, from 0 to 4pi. So in the time it takes sin(x) to complete one cycle, sin(2x) will have completed two cycles. The period of the function decreases by a factor of two when the argument of the function is doubled. This is true of all functions, including sin(x) and cosec(x).
(edited 7 years ago)
How using c4 methods do u integrate xe^x^2 in part b the 3rd line

Quick Reply

Latest