The Student Room Group

Why aren't you a feminist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Inexorably
Google:

define: feminism

the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.

Moan all you want, this has and has always been the aim of feminist movements. A complete disregard for any male issues, the only time they ever pretend to care about males is when they say "oh but doing X will help men as well as women, because men will learn their lesson!".

It's amusing when feminists try to pretend they actually care about resolving issues encountered by men, keep trying honey.

Saying feminism is a load of rubbish because it doesnt consider men's rights is like saying "Dont raise awareness for cervical cancer because what about testicular cancer!"

Seriously mate you're embarrassing yourself here. Men's rights are really irrelevant when talking about feminism.

Original post by Inexorably

Moan all you want, this has and has always been the aim of feminist movements. A complete disregard for any male issues, the only time they ever pretend to care about males is when they say "oh but doing X will help men as well as women, because men will learn their lesson!".

Degrading men is not a feminist agenda
my innate understanding of feminism (which may not align perfectly with the dictionary definition as dictionary definitions are not absolute and the meanings associated with words can sometimes be very dynamic) is that it tries to deal with issues relating to femininity.

you've probably heard about the 'patriarchy' and yeah i actually think that some of the issues involved in feminism are to do with deconstructing the idea of 'masculinity' rather than gender vs gender.
the difference here is very important and i can illustrate this in two examples which shows how men and women can both benefit from the feminist campaign.

women are often seen as 'not masculine' i.e. they are weak, emotional, obsessed with fashion etc etc which can lead to intrinsic biases and therefore discrimination in situations like the workplace

men, however, are meant to be seen as 'masculine' which means they are supposed to be unemotional, strong, violent etc etc which can lead to men having longer jail sentences and less emotional support (despite having higher suicide rates than women)

in other words, feminism isn't PRO females, it's most likely ANTI-masculinity as this is a concept that affects many

there has also been this issue of 'white feminism' where certain people tend to only campaign for issues that really only affect the top percentile of women (i.e. those that are unaffected by race, gender, poverty, sexuality, disability - in other words 'privileged')
however, if you look up 'intersectional feminism' then you'll realise that there are many people are aware of this problem and are trying to have a voice but quite often it takes someone who HAS privilege to use their privilege to make people listen

an example of white feminism is someone who would say 'caitlyn jenner is NOT a women because REAL women have had to struggle with issues like menstrual cycles and low pay etc etc'
whereas, when you think of it, transgender women (and men) are typically more likely to experience abuse and discrimination than, for example, a white woman who is not continuously discriminated against for any other reason other than being born a woman.

so if i use the above as a definition of feminism then YES i AM a feminist
and i suggest those who purely perceive the idea of feminism to be anti-men and a campaign of hatred to maybe not be put off by a dictionary definition and dig deeper into the less-media-portrayed understanding of feminist issues
Original post by gsimona
I would like to know why people WOULDN'T consider themselves to be a feminist, boys and girls! If you could leave a few reasons why you feel that way in the comments that would be great and so interesting! Thank you! x

Because men and women are different in lots of ways, so trying to be equal doesn't make sense. I do gymnastics but I couldn't complete against guys as they have totally different bodies so are better at certain things. Men and woman have different roles, our bodies are different and so are our minds.
because I don't think feminism is about equality.
Because Nowadays Feminism is sick
As a woman of colour I'm more interested in racism because that tends to affect my life more.
Why do you care what i label myself. I rather not be an armchair activist.
Original post by fandom-queen
Honestly, I am a feminist, if it means EQUALITY of both sexes.

But I really do believe, that despite her good intentions, Emma Watson's heforshe campaign is wrong. Because the message creates a divide all over again. It again creates He and She, rather than US. TOGETHER. A COLLECTIVE.

I'm a girl, and I want equal pay, I want female genocide to end, I want education for my gender.

But I recognise that men can be abused, men can be raped. If HeforShe exists, what about those "he's" who need help? Where will they turn to for help?

Real feminism is the work of suffragettes. Real feminism is Miss Bus and Miss Beale. Real feminism is Malala Yousafzai, who's working for CHILDREN'S education, regardless of gender. Not Kim Kardashian, or Rihanna, who think #freethenipple is true feminism. Because a girl in africa or asia, cares more about her geography lesson taking place, than her nipple being freed.

Ugh, disgusting.

Thoughts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NCNSY4QX4k
Reply 28
Feminism is the reason this generation sucks so much.

Oh and by the way i'm a transgender, bi, atheist, vegan feminist and i'm offended by this thread. All hail the generation of getting offended.
Original post by Zeus007
Feminism is the reason this generation sucks so much.

Oh and by the way i'm a transgender, bi, atheist, vegan feminist and i'm offended by this thread. All hail the generation of getting offended.

So mainstream. You aren't even black, disabled or left-handed.
no, i’m an egalitarian. an actual egalitarian, not one of the 30 year old conservatives on instagram that call themselves one.
Reply 31
Original post by lamaragymnast
So mainstream. You aren't even black, disabled or left-handed.

LOL.
I'm for equality obviously.

However, I don't call myself a feminist anymore.

Internet feminism is embarrassing and a lot of feminists in the real world really do fit a certain stereotype that I dislike. There are a lot of feminist campaigns that I personally see and useless or ridiculous.

Just to add, I'm very educated on the topic of feminism. I've studied in depth "feminist theory" and I really have looked at the different perspectives, the truth is that somewhere along the line the genuinity of the message trailed off and it was more hateful that anything else.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zeus007
LOL.

Thank god, a sense of humour.
Reply 34
Original post by lamaragymnast
Thank god, a sense of humour.

God forbid a sense of humour these days though right? We all need to get offended and depressed. :biggrin:
In my experience the worst serial offenders against feminism are women.
Honestly, I simply don't label myself as a feminist due to the fact that I think that nowadays in most first world modern countries it's not really necessary. For example I saw proof that the whole wage gap is not real; I think nowadays women and men have equal rights in 1st world countries (if it comes to voting for example) and I also think that a big part of modern (3rd wave) feminists are quite stupid, like protesting by going out naked with the word slut across your forehead isn´t going to help you.
Don´t get me wrong, I know that in some countries like Saudi Arabia women don't have basic rights, like they can´t even drive a car, yet it turns out that from the many times I have read posts on different social media about feminism, I probably have not once seen anyone write about that, just about how they want to freely walk with their breasts out or how everyone should learn the 50 genders and otherkins they made up. Also, they get offended by pretty much anything.

So basically I support feminism for countries that truly need it where women don't have normal rights and I also am greatful for past feminists who protested for things like the right to vote or receive respect in normal jobs. But just not most present feminism.
Besides, why do feminists call themselves feminists? If they support equal rights for everyone wouldn´t that just be being egalitarian?
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd be a hypocrite if I claimed to be a feminist. My bedroom antics set the women's movement back.
I wish I was as good as a boy. but I'm also better than then in some ways to. I really wish I was physically stronger,r that must make life so much easier.
Reply 39
I think there's a reason as to why I've never come across a female builder/plumber

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending