The Student Room Group

A -level students, what extra-curricular activities are you doing?

Scroll to see replies

Bronze + Silver DofE
Piano (grade 7/8)
Medics Society
6 months Library volunteering & planning on starting volunteering somewhere else as well
Biology Prefect
Used to be part of netball team (4/5 years)
Work Experience

Spoiler

Original post by IKEAPanda37
:erm::erm::erm:

Anyway:
- Guitar tuition (I'm aiming for Grade 6 in December and I also was in my county training group for 3.5 years and the youth guitar for 0.5 years)
- I learn Welsh at home
- I mix music and also make Youtube videos
- I've done NCS
- I want to play badminton but have nowhere to do it :frown:

Lol I know this has turned into more of a chat thread. :biggrin::rolleyes: But it's cool that you're learning a language. Are you self teaching? I want to learn Arabic and Korean but I doubt I'll have much time this year. I also used to make a lot of fanvids on Youtube, but now I just watch edits on Vine. What kind of vids do you make?
Oh, and maybe you should go to a local sports centre or try and do badminton out of school.
Original post by surina16
Bronze + Silver DofE
Piano (grade 7/8)
Medics Society
6 months Library volunteering & planning on starting volunteering somewhere else as well
Biology Prefect
Used to be part of netball team (4/5 years)
Work Experience

Spoiler

A lot of people have done DofE but I've personally never understood the purpose of it or its value? I'm starting to look for volunteering as well and more work experience, preferably in the healthcare industry because I want to do medicine.
Original post by Turquoise01
Lol I know this has turned into more of a chat thread. :biggrin::rolleyes: But it's cool that you're learning a language. Are you self teaching? I want to learn Arabic and Korean but I doubt I'll have much time this year. I also used to make a lot of fanvids on Youtube, but now I just watch edits on Vine. What kind of vids do you make?
Oh, and maybe you should go to a local sports centre or try and do badminton out of school.

Thanks :h: Yeah, I'm learning it through podcasts which help with my speaking and listening at the moment. It's good fun and also quite challenging. You should definitely try to learn them (they sound really interesting:biggrin:) and don't worry if you can't do it that often. It's really good to put in your personal statement :smile:

Ooh nice, I make Eurovision and Junior Eurovision videos, nothing too impressive but they're fun to make:tongue:

Yeah, I'lll definitely have a look:h:
Does being a Dungeon master in D&D count?
I did nothing and still got into a Russell Group. Don't exhaust yourselves
Original post by IKEAPanda37
Thanks :h: Yeah, I'm learning it through podcasts which help with my speaking and listening at the moment. It's good fun and also quite challenging. You should definitely try to learn them (they sound really interesting:biggrin:) and don't worry if you can't do it that often. It's really good to put in your personal statement :smile:

Ooh nice, I make Eurovision and Junior Eurovision videos, nothing too impressive but they're fun to make:tongue:

Yeah, I'lll definitely have a look:h:

I've already learned the Arabic and Hangul (Korean) alphabet but you need a lot of time to listen audio files, practise pronunciation and memorise words etc. How much time do you spend on learning Welsh, say daily?

Yeah, my personal statement is going to be really boring if I don't start finding new hobbies and activities.:redface:

Your videos sound interesting. Why Eurovision, though? I make edits of TV/Movie characters and some band performances, but you're right making them is a great way to pass time.:smile::bebored:
I am also in Year 12 and I am trying to use this year to its full potential. Currently, I am taking four A-Levels in the forms of chemistry, biology, maths and physics; however I am strongly considering dropping physics, seeing as three A-Levels are probably stressful enough and I would rather get, for example, A*A*A* than A*AAA or A*A*AA.

With regards to extra curricular activities:
I have a part-time job at a supermarket; part of a team in the Dragons' Apprentice challenge (similar to Young Enterprise); Silver DofE (almost finished); vice-house captain for one of the four houses in my school; I attend the gym and play football and Extended project qualification.
Reply 48
Sixth Form Ambassador
Number theory enrichment club
Work exp (twice)
A few masterclasses and events
Learning a language
I mentor younger students in science, volunteer at my swimming club, am starting volunteer at a hospice, take part in running, swimming and cycling clubs\groups and have done w/ex in the hols.
Chinese Club, Sax group, mehhhhh that's about it lol
Reply 51
At the moment I'm not going to any extra curricular activities because they don't really relate to the degree I want to do.
wow so many people listed so many things. i feel like i wanna add a few more stuff now:

was in the school council for 4 years
volunteered in the library for a few months
was in the badminton team last year
was a maths leader in my previous skl

I love the way all of mine r in past tense... sixth form is so busy so i hav no time since my skl is so faraway
Haha all my activities were also done in the past. I'm still continuing with my guitar ensemble though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't do anything extracirricular except go to the law society once in a blue moon.
I'm also a law prefect and a debating prefect.
Original post by K.H.A.N™
Anytime lol

My father and his brother went to Oxford and my Mother went to Cambridge, My sister got rejected from oxford (her results A*A*A*AA) but she goes WarWick. I am aiming for oxford... Economics or Law or even Law & Economics if they offer it, but if they dont Economics.

Oxford don't offer straight Econ - the only econ options are E&M or PPE
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing?wssl=1
I've already learned the Arabic and Hangul (Korean) alphabet but you need a lot of time to listen audio files, practise pronunciation and memorise words etc. How much time do you spend on learning Welsh, say daily?

Yeah, my personal statement is going to be really boring if I don't start finding new hobbies and activities.:redface:

Your videos sound interesting. Why Eurovision, though? I make edits of TV/Movie characters and some band performances, but you're right making them is a great way to pass time.:smile::bebored:

To be really honest, I don't do it every day, but I'm going to try to listen to 2 podcasts a week from now on:h: It does take a while, but you just have to be dedicated to it :smile:

Haha thanks, it's because I'm a big Eurovision fan:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Ooh they sound pretty cool :smile: Yeah you're right:h:
I play the violin - Grade 5 but I kinda stopped 😊
Work experience at pharmacy
Academic mentor
Used to be in a netball club
Planning to do more work experience

I want to do medicine hopefully 😊
I've done
-bronze D of E
-ncs
-EPQ
-volunteering

I'm wanting to volunteer somewhere soon and I also am aiming to become either Chemistry or Geography prefect in year 13 and I also want to do mentoring with the younger years because I will have more time when my EPQ is finished in October.

Is it bad that I'm not in any sport clubs? I go to the gym once a week and have done so for 2 years but I don't know whether I can write about that in my uni application???
Since it's a new school year and as I'm starting year 12, I'm considering joining a few clubs/ societies and possibly taking on a few roles around the school, but not sure which ones.
So do any of you do any activities/ roles in school?

Music, even though I do music at college I still class it as extra-curricular as I'm not going into it as a career and I play in 3 ensembles outside of college

Quick Reply

Latest