The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fbiemad
Quick question. When will Economics applicants be able to see the results of their ECAA pre-interview exam? (I know we havent taken it yet, but is there is a date which we get to know how much we got in it?)

Results will not be released automatically to students (except in BMAT and the ELAT where candidates are taking these for more than one university). Colleges may release scores as part of their feedback to candidates but it's at the college's discretion.
Original post by lucus450
Hi Dr.Spencer, thanks for running this thread! I am a post-qualification applicant overseas, and this will be the second time I make an application to Cambridge (last year I got pooled and rejected). A few days ago I sent an email to my interested college's admission office to ask for their opinion on applicants taking a gap year, but didn't receive any replies. If I apply to this college in this round, would the admission officers notice that I am a second-time applicant(due to my email) and make relevant notes on my profile? And does my clarification of a second-time applicantion disadvantage my chance of getting an offer?Thank you in advance.

This is a hugely busy time for college admissions co-ordinators as they are processing incoming applications and dealing with large numbers of queries, so you will need to be patient with them in responding to queries.

Obviously I can't comment directly on what your chosen college will feel about this but the general attitude in Cambridge is welcoming to realistic reapplications (i.e. those where the candidate has met or exceeded the standard offer). Your file will note that you're a reapplicant but nothing else about your previous application. There's no reason for you to feel at a disadvantage when reapply, we aren't arrogant enough to assume that we don't make mistakes when judging people's applications and I've taken plenty of people in the past whom other colleges were foolish enough to miss (and, I am sure, vice versa where candidates I have turned down were successful elsewhere the following year).
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Well, given that those are the top grades possible in both A Level and STEP, it would be pretty odd if you didn't have a chance! :smile:

If your academic track record suggest that you are on course to achieve those sorts of grades, then you'll be a very strong candidate.

Thank you! :smile: but what about my GCSE's won't the (3 re-takes have an effect?)
There will be a single score for Section 1. It will have been marked by Cambridge Assessments and delivered to the university and colleges. The scale is the same as the BMAT scale (1.0-9.0) but the distribution of marks will be more even than in BMAT (where there is a big grouping of marks between about 4.0 and 7.0).

Will colleges receive the full scripts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What will an interview for Computer Science (specifically Computer Science with Maths) be like? Is the interview similar to a regular Maths interview?

Thanks
Hello, I am currently doing A Level Mathematics, Religious Studies, English Literature and Psychology. Would not having Chemistry, Physics or Biology put me at a disadvantage to other students who are taking sciences? I am interested in English and Psychological and Behavioral Sciences, are the subjects I'm taking bad choices?
Original post by jneill
Will colleges receive the full scripts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We will receive the scripts for Section 2, not sure whether we get the scripts for Section 1.
Original post by Oxidation
Thank you! :smile: but what about my GCSE's won't the (3 re-takes have an effect?)

Your GCSEs are fine, not the best but still good and no reason on their own to rule you out.
Hello again TSR. My name is Dr Andrew Spencer and I am the Admissions Tutor at Murray Edwards College in Cambridge. Welcome to my tenth Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, this time in my new guise as Murray Edwards Admissions. The @Christ's Admissions profile, which I ran for the last three years, will continue under my successor but for the next month before the application deadline for Cambridge, I'll be answering your questions here so please fire away.

My UCAS has a pending AS grade I'm sitting this year. On top of A2 offers, what are the chances of adding an AS offer? (E.g "A*AA at A level, plus B at AS"??)
Original post by GarlicBread01
What will an interview for Computer Science (specifically Computer Science with Maths) be like? Is the interview similar to a regular Maths interview?

Thanks

You would likely have one Maths interview and one on Computer Science. The Comp Sci interview will have a strong mathematical element to it but with a bent towards the type of maths useful for computing. I can;t really tell you much more as I'm a medieval historian and not a computer scientist! :smile:
Hi,I'm currently in year 12, so I realise that you may want to prioritise people who are currently applying, but I wonder if you could clear something up for me?I achieved 5 A*s and 5 As in my GCSE results, and it's been suggested I could consider applying to Cambridge (For context I go to a state comprehensive school which, although I think is good, scores below national average for A-level and I know is on a list of schools eligible for a lower contextual offer from another university)

Im interested in studying law.

My query is that according to the Cambridge admissions website my grades would be fine, but the Churchill college site states it is extremely rare for anyone with less than 9 a*s to get accepted for law. I'm also told that you have an equal chance of acceptance whichever college you apply to.I realise that there are many other factors you take into account, but it seems that the above statements contradict each other. Is it the case that while you would consider someone with my grades, they'd be unlikely to get an offer ie am i deluding myself? :smile:

Many thanks in advance.
Original post by PrinceProsperity
Hello, I am currently doing A Level Mathematics, Religious Studies, English Literature and Psychology. Would not having Chemistry, Physics or Biology put me at a disadvantage to other students who are taking sciences? I am interested in English and Psychological and Behavioral Sciences, are the subjects I'm taking bad choices?

Maths and/or Biology are regarded as an advantage in applicants for PBS but people are frequently admitted without either. Doing Maths will be a good thing for your application. For English, your choices are absolutely fine.
Your GCSEs are fine, not the best but still good and no reason on their own to rule you out.

Thanks. Would STEP be accepted for Physics? Or would I need to sit alternate exams?
Original post by ImagineCats
My UCAS has a pending AS grade I'm sitting this year. On top of A2 offers, what are the chances of adding an AS offer? (E.g "A*AA at A level, plus B at AS"??)

I'm afraid I can;t give an exact chance as every application is treated individually. All I can say at this stage is that it's possible that you would receive an AS offer if the AS is relevant to your subject. I have used AS offers in the past, mainly on FM AS for relevant subjects (Economics, Physical Nat Sci).
Thanks. Would STEP be accepted for Physics? Or would I need to sit alternate exams?

We don't offer Physics on its own, you would apply for Natural Sciences (or for Maths with Physics). STEP is not necessary for Natural Sciences and there are no additional exams needed. STEP is required for Maths with Physics the same grades as Maths.
We don't offer Physics on its own, you would apply for Natural Sciences (or for Maths with Physics). STEP is not necessary for Natural Sciences and there are no additional exams needed. STEP is required for Maths with Physics the same grades as Maths.

Ohh ok, thanks so much Dr. Spencer. Really appreciate it! :smile:
Original post by JoshHol
Hi,I'm currently in year 12, so I realise that you may want to prioritise people who are currently applying, but I wonder if you could clear something up for me?I achieved 5 A*s and 5 As in my GCSE results, and it's been suggested I could consider applying to Cambridge (For context I go to a state comprehensive school which, although I think is good, scores below national average for A-level and I know is on a list of schools eligible for a lower contextual offer from another university)

Im interested in studying law.

My query is that according to the Cambridge admissions website my grades would be fine, but the Churchill college site states it is extremely rare for anyone with less than 9 a*s to get accepted for law. I'm also told that you have an equal chance of acceptance whichever college you apply to.I realise that there are many other factors you take into account, but it seems that the above statements contradict each other. Is it the case that while you would consider someone with my grades, they'd be unlikely to get an offer ie am i deluding myself? :smile:

Many thanks in advance.

Hello and thank you for your question. Admissions at Cambridge is a college matter but we work together to minimise the impact of college choice. It is true that at Churchill for Law it is rare for people with fewer than 9 A*s at GCSE to gget an offer but that is not the case across Cambridge and applicants for Law with fewer than 9 A*s might not get an offer from Churchill if they applied there but they might well get an offer from anther college. The two statements are not contradictory because the the first statement deals with the situation at one particular college in one particular subject, while the second talks about your chances of admission to Cambridge. The rate of admission to individual colleges is quite different but the rate of admission to Cambridge is not significantly affected by college choice because of the moderation processes that we run.

With 5 A*s and 5 As you have a decent GCSE profile and Cambridge should be one of the places you consider. There will be people with stronger GCSE profiles than yours but plenty of people are admitted with 5 A*s.
Ohh ok, thanks so much Dr. Spencer. Really appreciate it! :smile:

No problem, you're welcome. :smile:
No problem, you're welcome. :smile:

:smile: Would it be a deal breaker if I re-took year 11 as in stay a year behind to re-do GCSE's but with only 3 re-takes?
Reply 299
Hi,
I got 3A*s, 3As and 6Bs at GCSE. Is there any way for me to find out how I did in relation to my school so I know whether this is above average for my year? Thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending