The Student Room Group

Going for first drink at pub

As title suggests I am wanting to go to the pub for first time. I am 18 and male and I plan to go with a work colleague who is 29 and female as I am leaving the company and she has invited me out to the pub as a goodbye. I have been 18 for a few months but have never drank as I'm not that social but recently I have started to make an effort.

I think I might tell her I've never been to the pub but I'm not sure if I should. Since I am leaving my job if I embarrass myself it is not too bad. I just don't know how I would go around ordering a drink even. I've only drank at home before in front of my parents so don't have a clue what I would like. I don't even know how to order.

Do I just say "a pint of lager" for example or would I have to say a brand name? Also what drink should I ask for at a pub as a guy? I don't know what a popular drink would be and what I should order as I've not drank that much before so don't know what I would like. Sorry for all the questions but like I said I don't have a clue how to order a drink and don't know what I should drink. Thanks for all the help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
'May I have just a tipple of your finest ale, my good bartender'
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah if they have a range usual good eticate is to specify. Pint of Amstel, pint of Heineken etc.Just don't drink too much and get hammered if you don't think you could handle it. Or maybe order a larger top... good splash of lemonade in it to water the alcohol down.

Or bang a good few grams of coke up your nose, that works!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 303Pharma
Yeah if they have a range usual good eticate is to specify. Pint of Amstel, pint of Heineken etc.Just don't drink too much and get hammered if you don't think you could handle it. Or maybe order a larger top... good splash of lemonade in it to water the alcohol down.

Or bang a good few grams of coke up your nose, that works!

Thanks for your help
Original post by oZombiex2
Thanks for your help

lager top, not a larger top.
Reply 5
Original post by citibankrec
lager top, not a larger top.

I guessed that, thanks
Reply 6
As title suggests I am wanting to go to the pub for first time. I am 18 and male and I plan to go with a work colleague who is 29 and female as I am leaving the company and she has invited me out to the pub as a goodbye. I have been 18 for a few months but have never drank as I'm not that social but recently I have started to make an effort.

I think I might tell her I've never been to the pub but I'm not sure if I should. Since I am leaving my job if I embarrass myself it is not too bad. I just don't know how I would go around ordering a drink even. I've only drank at home before in front of my parents so don't have a clue what I would like. I don't even know how to order.

Do I just say "a pint of lager" for example or would I have to say a brand name? Also what drink should I ask for at a pub as a guy? I don't know what a popular drink would be and what I should order as I've not drank that much before so don't know what I would like. Sorry for all the questions but like I said I don't have a clue how to order a drink and don't know what I should drink. Thanks for all the help.

Just ask for a bottle of budweiser, or a pint of carling or heineken or carlsberg or any larger. Don't have stout unless you want to be ill. Probably best to save the jagerbombs until your second time out. You will probably get drunk after one or two pints, so it is best to leave it at that, unless you want to act the big man to impress the lady. Either way it is up to you. Also it may be best to let her order the drinks, because they may ask for id if you don't look like you are 21, and plus they have the right to refuse to serve you. Especially if you don't know what you are doing, okay?! thanks

Okay newbie, this is EXACTLY what you do:

Your lady friend will be with you, so you better open that ****ing door and keep it ****ing opened - you're a gentleman you bastard, not a beast.

Have a 3 second look around, then say to her these exact words:

"Looks like a nice place - can't believe I've never been here before. I'll get the first round. What're you having?"

She'll say something.

"Got it."

Now walk up to the bar. Don't you dare ****ing trip - if you trip, you're ****ed. Game over.

Hopefully you've made your way to the bar at a reasonable time, you clueless ****. Now you play the 'I would like some attention bartender, as I wish to be served, but I will not call you as YOU are the one who has to initiate contact' game.

Once the bartender has approached you, you say:

"Hi. One *insert lady's order* and a pint of *look at the taps and pick a random one - if you cannot see the taps (blind ****) then get a bottle of Heineken. Cheers."

Then find a seat and cheers the night away.

Don't mix drinks. Unless you want to get drunk. In which case, mix drinks.

Btw, I drink red wine at pubs. I ask for the house red.

Enjoy.
Reply 8
Original post by Kagutsuchi

Your lady friend will be with you, so you better open that ****ing door and keep it ****ing opened - you're a gentleman you bastard, not a beast.

"Looks like a nice place - can't believe I've never been here before. I'll get the first round. What're you having?"

She'll say something.

"Got it."

Now walk up to the bar. Don't you dare ****ing trip - if you trip, you're ****ed. Game over.

Hopefully you've made your way to the bar at a reasonable time, you clueless ****. Now you play the 'I would like some attention bartender, as I wish to be served, but I will not call you as YOU are the one who has to initiate contact' game.

"Hi. One *insert lady's order* and a pint of *look at the taps and pick a random one - if you cannot see the taps (blind ****) then get a bottle of Heineken. Cheers."

Enjoy.

Thanks for your rather unique way of delivering advice.
Reply 9
Original post by Kagutsuchi

She'll say something.

"Got it."

Enjoy.

Some pubs won't serve you unless you are 21. And you have to look confident when ordering, if you want to get served/ okay?
Reply 10
Original post by john2054
Some pubs won't serve you unless you are 21. And you have to look confident when ordering, if you want to get served/ okay?

Very few establishments in the UK have a 21+ rule.*
Original post by Reue
Very few establishments in the UK have a 21+ rule.*

Actually ALL establishments retain the right to refuse to serve anyone they feel like. So that is what i was saying!
Actually ALL establishments retain the right to refuse to serve anyone they feel like. So that is what i was saying!

They also ALL want to get their hands on your cash.
Tell them you have never been to a pub before. What's the worst that can happen? Get a half pint or two, they will probably be understanding. Most people who are of an age are not that much of a dick about these things.
Don't overthink things. It's just a drink.

Just make sure you don't get ****ing Strongbow Darkfruits.
Reply 15

That's not what you or I said at all.

* Ps: establishments do not retain the right to refuse anyone they feel like. Go look up recent discrimination law cases. *
Me and my mates started going to pubs at like 14-15. They turned a blind eye as long as we had the coin to pay for a round, and didn't act a fool and act inappropriate. Things more stringent these days?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by stefano865
They also ALL want to get their hands on your cash.

Original post by Reue
That's not what you or I said at all.

* Ps: establishments do not retain the right to refuse anyone they feel like. Go look up recent discrimination law cases. *

As someone who's been turned away from loads of bars, and clubs, i can assure you that i am right in what i just said.
You don't need lager or beer. If you get it, don't order ****. Maybe go a pint of cider as it's tastier, like a kopparberg or bulmer's
Original post by 303Pharma
Me and my mates started going to pubs at like 14-15. They turned a blind eye as long as we had the coin to pay for a round, and didn't act a fool and act inappropriate. Things more stringent these days?

Yeah they're big on ID now. Even when I was 16(11 years ago) there was still a fair few pubs that didn't care, but it's a lot stricter these days.

Quick Reply