The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by vincrows
What subjects are you doing in A-levels?
Are you applying post-qualification with 3A*?

FYI, GCSE isn't that important for Cambridge application as they only look at it as a contextual data. Especially so if you're applying post-application.

And upward-trajectory of your performance is a positive thing for your application.

I took English Literature, History and Economics. I dropped Philosophy after AS. And yes, I have already achieved my A Levels
and am taking a gap year.
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Hello and thank you for your question. Admissions at Cambridge is a college matter but we work together to minimise the impact of college choice. It is true that at Churchill for Law it is rare for people with fewer than 9 A*s at GCSE to gget an offer but that is not the case across Cambridge and applicants for Law with fewer than 9 A*s might not get an offer from Churchill if they applied there but they might well get an offer from anther college. The two statements are not contradictory because the the first statement deals with the situation at one particular college in one particular subject, while the second talks about your chances of admission to Cambridge. The rate of admission to individual colleges is quite different but the rate of admission to Cambridge is not significantly affected by college choice because of the moderation processes that we run.

With 5 A*s and 5 As you have a decent GCSE profile and Cambridge should be one of the places you consider. There will be people with stronger GCSE profiles than yours but plenty of people are admitted with 5 A*s.

Thank you very much for your response: I think I'd assumed that all colleges had the same criteria and acceptance rates.

I'm encouraged! :smile:

Thanks again.
Original post by Oxidation
Ohh ok, thanks so much Dr. Spencer. Really appreciate it! :smile:

Just to note, if you choose Physics via NatSci you would have the NSAA - Natural Sciences Admissions Assessment - as a pre-interview test. There's no pre-interview test for Maths.
Original post by jneill
Just to note, if you choose Physics via NatSci you would have the NSAA - Natural Sciences Admissions Assessment - as a pre-interview test. There's no pre-interview test for Maths.

Thank you! :smile: How do you know all of this?
Thank you! :smile: How do you know all of this?

I'm a parent of a Cambridge student.
Original post by jneill
I'm a parent of a Cambridge student.

Oh that's so cool! :smile: What is your child currently studying at Cambridge if you don't mind me asking?
There will be a single score for Section 1. It will have been marked by Cambridge Assessments and delivered to the university and colleges. The scale is the same as the BMAT scale (1.0-9.0) but the distribution of marks will be more even than in BMAT (where there is a big grouping of marks between about 4.0 and 7.0).

So will students have any idea how they've done? Will we not be told at interview or something?
Oh that's so cool! :smile: What is your child currently studying at Cambridge if you don't mind me asking?

He's at Christ's reading Engineering. But we are going off topic :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
He's at Christ's reading Engineering. But we are going off topic :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's actually really impressive!
(edited 7 years ago)
We will receive the scripts for Section 2, not sure whether we get the scripts for Section 1.

might section two get discussed at interview?
:smile: Would it be a deal breaker if I re-took year 11 as in stay a year behind to re-do GCSE's but with only 3 re-takes?

No but there's no real point to retake Year 11 if you are only planning to retake three exams.
Original post by Omgaf
Hi,
I got 3A*s, 3As and 6Bs at GCSE. Is there any way for me to find out how I did in relation to my school so I know whether this is above average for my year? Thanks.

The department for education produces statistics on school performance at GCSE and A Level each year on their website. They give the average point score per entry and you should Ben able to work out your performance in relation to that.
Original post by k.russell
So will students have any idea how they've done? Will we not be told at interview or something?

No, as I said in an earlier post, marks are not released automatically to students except in the BMAT and ELAT which they do for other universities as well. Telling students at interview would be a really bad idea - it would destroy the confidence of those who had not done particularly well and give false confidence to those who had done well.
Original post by k.russell
might section two get discussed at interview?

Some colleges have reserved the right to use section 2 at interview while others have decided not to use it. If you are asked at interview about section 2 you will be told beforehand and you will be sent your unmarked script.
No but there's no real point to retake Year 11 if you are only planning to retake three exams.

Ok. Hypothetically, what if I did? Is this considered as a major disadvantage?
Some colleges have reserved the right to use section 2 at interview while others have decided not to use it. If you are asked at interview about section 2 you will be told beforehand and you will be sent your unmarked script.

I presume this may also vary by course? Or will a college "reserving" section 2 be doing this across all their courses with pre-interview assessments?

And I note that "explained answers" are now provided for some (all?) tests with pre-interview assessments, but only for section 1. Will they also be provided for section 2 in due course?

You are in Y12 (with 7A*) there is no point hypothetically going back and resiting Y11. If one of your C's is in GCSE English then it *may* be worth retaking that in Y12, but otherwise no, even hypothetically.
Original post by jneill
You are in Y12 (with 7A*) there is no point hypothetically going back and resiting Y11. If one of your C's is in GCSE English then it *may* be worth retaking that in Y12, but otherwise no, even hypothetically.

Oh ok thanks. :smile:

It would be considered a rather odd thing to do without significant extenuating circumstances but it wouldn't rule you out if you did do it. The best thing to do though is to concentrate on the future not obsess about perfecting your GCSEs.
Original post by jneill
I presume this may also vary by course? Or will a college "reserving" section 2 be doing this across all their courses with pre-interview assessments?

And I note that "explained answers" are now provided for some (all?) tests with pre-interview assessments, but only for section 1. Will they also be provided for section 2 in due course?

Yes, those colleges where they have decided that they want the right to use section 2 will do so on a subject by subject decision and will inform candidates in the relevant subjects if this is likely to happen. Other colleges have imposed a blanket decision across all subjects not to use them.

I don't think worked solutions for section 2 will be provided, certainly not in essay subjects as there's no right answer and I know of no plans for science subjects.

Latest

Trending

Trending