The Student Room Group

Why aren't you a feminist?

Scroll to see replies

I think it is a sexist and hypocritical ideology.

For me, treating men and women equally is simply common sense. Instead "feminism" means to me stuff like "mansplaining", "check your privilege" etc.
Reply 41
I'm not a feminist because it has people such as this for figureheads.

It refers to pages such as this as if they were gospel.

And because I feel men have just as many problems as women in the modern western world, but men are never allowed a platform to try and discuss them.
Original post by fksociety
Saying feminism is a load of rubbish because it doesnt consider men's rights is like saying "Dont raise awareness for cervical cancer because what about testicular cancer!"

Seriously mate you're embarrassing yourself here. Men's rights are really irrelevant when talking about feminism.

Degrading men is not a feminist agenda

I'm a feminist, but it's feminists like you who give in to the stereotype.

The stuff I've put in bold is really contradictory, please understand feminism before you try and preach it to others.

Of course it takes into account the rights of males.
I'm not for equality of the sexes. Men and women are inherently different. There should be equal rights, but not affirmitive action forcing equality of result.
Original post by IRoranth
I'm a feminist, but it's feminists like you who give in to the stereotype.

The stuff I've put in bold is really contradictory, please understand feminism before you try and preach it to others.

Of course it takes into account the rights of males.

How is this contradictory? Men's rights are irrelevant. Degrading men is not a feminist agenda. Are u suggesting otherwise?

No, it really doesnt. Feminism may help fight gender roles and help men but it does not directly fight for men's rights. I think it's YOU who needs to understand feminism first.
How is this contradictory? Men's rights are irrelevant. Degrading men is not a feminist agenda. Are u suggesting otherwise?

No, it really doesnt. Feminism may help fight gender roles and help men but it does not directly fight for men's rights. I think it's YOU who needs to understand feminism first.

K.
I believe in equal rights.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by gsimona
I would like to know why people WOULDN'T consider themselves to be a feminist, boys and girls! If you could leave a few reasons why you feel that way in the comments that would be great and so interesting! Thank you! x

I believe more strongly than I can say in equality and in women's rights, but I wouldn't consider myself to be a feminist because I haven't the slightest idea what the word means. And, I contend, neither do you or anyone else here.

It's not what you call yourself. It's what you believe.
Original post by IRoranth
K.

Ironically it's people like you who give feminists a bad name.
Ironically it's people like you who give feminists a bad name.

Lol, says the individual who claims feminists believe the movement doesn't cater for mens rights.

Stop digging yourself a hole.
Reply 50
It's in the media's interest to only show campaigns like free the nipple or talk about unshaven, men hating feminists. When was the last time you heard about a feminist advocating for men? Well I can tell you that I have plenty of friendships on my fb who identify as feminists and they advocate for men too. Some pretty hard. With one opening a mental health centre solely for men because of a huge lack of support services.

Female perps of abuse aren't treated like perps because of the alpha-masculine ideas of sex and sexuality. Like how men should always be up for it and hot women are never turned down. You're lucky if you lose your virginity early but especially so if that's woman was deemed attractive. Away from ideas of sex, only really weak men couldn't fight off a woman. (Which is BS)

Whilst we focus on who has it worse..we are living in a world which is becoming increasingly lenient and tolerant of rape and abuse.
Original post by zayn008
I think there's a reason as to why I've never come across a female builder/plumber

Tools don't often come lady-sized?
Reply 52
Original post by Reality Check
Tools don't often come lady-sized?

You mean like bic pens for women? Yeah before they were invented I couldn't write. It was a sad day when I had to fire my scribe but it's just not legal to pay them the same as I'd spend on my female writing aids. I hope they don't starve now bic has removed their entire profession
Original post by ~Tara~
You mean like bic pens for women? Yeah before they were invented I couldn't write. It was a sad day when I had to fire my scribe but it's just not legal to pay them the same as I'd spend on my female writing aids. I hope they don't starve now bic has removed their entire profession

But your poor lady brain would struggle to chose between the multitude of pens out there on offer - surely just one sparkly pink pen marked 'for girls' is ideal - you can then concentrate on thinking about puppies and babies and getting married, like you're supposed to.
Reply 54
But your poor lady brain would struggle to chose between the multitude of pens out there on offer - surely just one sparkly pink pen marked 'for girls' is ideal - you can then concentrate on thinking about puppies and babies and getting married, like you're supposed to.

And use my sparkly pen to write recipes that I shall bake for my future husband.
Original post by ~Tara~
And use my sparkly pen to write recipes that I shall bake for my future husband.

As well as practicing your new surname over, and over, and over, and over again. Better get a whole box of those Lady Pens!!! But don't forget to ask your husband/boyfriend/father/responsible person with XY chromosomes for permission to spend the money first. Maybe it can come out of your housekeeping allowance.
(edited 7 years ago)
If you define feminism as seeking equality of the sexes, then identifying as one is weird in this respect:

Wanting equality is so uncontroversial and so widely held, that it's meaningless to identify with it.

For example, most positions implicitly acknowledge that there is a reasonably widely held counter-position. For example, "I am left wing [because I acknowledge there are many others who are not]". Or "I am pro-choice [because I acknowledge there are many others who are not]". Or "I am pro gun-ownership [because there are many who are not]" etc.

Once a position becomes almost universal, there's no need to identify with it any more. It would be strange to call yourself "anti-murder" or "anti child-abuse". People would just be like "yeah, obviously".

All this leads people to be suspicious of those who identify as feminists as actually believing something else...
Reply 57
As well as practicing your new surname over, and over, and over, and over again. Better get a whole box of those Lady Pens!!! But don't forget to ask your husband/boyfriend/father/responsible person with XY chromosomes for permission to spend the money first. Maybe it can come out of your housekeeping allowance.

PRSOM

Nothing wrong with being homely housewife but so laughable in my case. We would actually starve. Even if I owned these magic pens. My partner does all the cooking and loves taking care of me..well I guess feeling needed/depended on. Currently having a joke tally about how many hot meals I've had since moving in with him..since I never cooked before, if it couldn't be boiled or microwaved it wasn't made.
Reply 58
Original post by gsimona
I would like to know why people WOULDN'T consider themselves to be a feminist, boys and girls! If you could leave a few reasons why you feel that way in the comments that would be great and so interesting! Thank you! x

What is feminism? There are several definition.
Reply 59
Original post by sinfonietta
I'd be a hypocrite if I claimed to be a feminist. My bedroom antics set the women's movement back.

What do you mean?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending