The Student Room Group

Why do south asians act white

Please note this only applies to SOME south Asians not all. So don't think I'm stereotyping

I'm a south Asian and proud and have seen many south Asian teens disregard their culture and act white

Why though

I mean their really hypocritical and they claim they are from Dubai but they are desi.

They also make fun of other south Asians who take pride in their ethnicity if they watch bollywood and that

They disregard asian values, music, food, clothes

They try and get hangovers

Smh. I got made fun of by saying salam alikum to a fellow asian by that same person

They also are sometimes ashamed of their religion.

Like deal with it you are asian. You can't change that. Take pride in your ethnicity
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Growing up, as a child I was not the most proud of my ethnicity and resented it so much. I guess part of it was due to the media but the perception of how people took my culture and me. I grew up white as I live in a white area, I went to school with white friends and it's the way I grew up. I couldn't be more proud now of my heritage having learnt about it and grown up with an open mindset. Unless you understand someone's reasons for discarding their culture or identity then don't always assume the reasons behind it. Took me a while to become proud of myself but here I am today :smile:
Original post by Rhythmical
Growing up, as a child I was not the most proud of my ethnicity and resented it so much. I guess part of it was due to the media but the perception of how people took my culture and me. I grew up white as I live in a white area, I went to school with white friends and it's the way I grew up. I couldn't be more proud now of my heritage having learnt about it and grown up with an open mindset. Unless you understand someone's reasons for discarding their culture or identity then don't always assume the reasons behind it. Took me a while to become proud of myself but here I am today :smile:

I can relate strongly to this. When you're one of the few or even the only one in your race of a dozen white people, you feel instantly isolated from everyone else because of how different YOU LOOK compared to everyone else. You can't help it, it's just THERE. I remember, guilty as it makes me feel now, wishing that I was "white" in primary school to be like everyone else.

I don't feel like this anymore, and like you, I am proud of my culture and ethnicity. Being different is something I now savour and value.

Original post by khan_star
Please note this only applies to SOME south Asians not all. So don't think I'm stereotyping

I'm a south Asian and proud and have seen many south Asian teens disregard their culture and act white

Why though

I mean their really hypocritical and they claim they are from Dubai but they are desi.

They also make fun of other south Asians who take pride in their ethnicity if they watch bollywood and that

They disregard asian values, music, food, clothes

They try and get hangovers

Smh. I got made fun of by saying salam alikum to a fellow asian by that same person

They also are sometimes ashamed of their religion.

Like deal with it you are asian. You can't change that. Take pride in your ethnicity

I totally agree that you should take pride in your culture/ethnicity. but for me, who a lot of Asians would consider me a "coconut", my parents taught me NOTHING of my indian culture. not that they aren't brilliant parents, but I know very little about my previous generations before me, no one taught me punjabi (very sad about this).

and I cannot cook roti ):

So what I'm trying to say is, it's not always the persons fault, for some people it's how they were raised to act as children by their parents.
They care too much about being popular so they make friends with white people and start acting like them.
Reply 4
People can join in whatever culture they'd like to, why the **** do you care?
probably bc media, society etc is making them ashamed of their culture....hopefully they'll learn to not care what others think and love their culture

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who says hangovers are only meant for white people?

Lol.
Reply 7
Tbh if they want to, who cares?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I couldn't help it. Whenever I tell someone that I'm a Pakistani, no one believes me. So, I couldn't help but be white, I guess.
Most do it to fit in.
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_

I totally agree that you should take pride in your culture/ethnicity. but for me, who a lot of Asians would consider me a "coconut", my parents taught me NOTHING of my indian culture. not that they aren't brilliant parents, but I know very little about my previous generations before me, no one taught me punjabi (very sad about this).

and I cannot cook roti ):

So what I'm trying to say is, it's not always the persons fault, for some people it's how they were raised to act as children by their parents.

I hear you. My mum and dad never taught me Sinhala or spoke it around me. Fastforward 25 years, and my mum gets cross with me and/or embarrassed everytime we visit relatives and I can't join in/follow the conversations around me :rolleyes:
Those people act "white" to fill a void - to satisfy their own insecurities and try to find some sense of identity/belonging. Not everyone is proud of their culture - some just straight-up hate being desi and they identify more with White British people. Obviously this depends on upbringing but that does not give those people any excuse to belittle or make fun of others who do keep in touch with their culture. By all means, they are entitled to identify with whatever ethnicity they want, but being white or from any other race is in no way superior to being desi. So I don't know why some of those people make out that it is. Multi-cultural society means accepting everyone within your community, regardless of whatever beliefs they hold, whatever ethnicity they identify with or how they behave. These desi people you mention who make fun of others - they should know better than most that their comments can easily come across as racially prejudicial.
Some of you are completely overanalysing this. If they have been brought up in a vastly white-dominated country then it is not shocking that they have grown up accustomed to ''white culture'' (whatever the **** that means), stop trying to make it out as if they're doing it because they're insecure like what?
It totally depends on what kind of person you are talking about.

Being accused of acting white certainly has is levels.

I've been accused of it and I admit to no such thing, I'm so proud of my culture and so comfortable with who I am. The reason I was accused of it is because I speak out (respectfully, never ever disrespectfully) about certain things that aren't quite right in our culture, or perhaps I am less traditional and people take issue with that and call me "white washed" but I think thats just them being narrow minded.

I know there are people that are completely disrespectful about their culture, ashamed of their parents dress sense, ashamed of their language (so much so they refuse to speak punjabi etc even at home to their parents), they are racist to their race and I find those kind of people intolerable.

On the flip side, there are also people that may just be "a little too proud" that disrespect other cultures and races.

So basically, what I'm saying is, everyone is annoying :-D
Original post by khan_star
Please note this only applies to SOME south Asians not all. So don't think I'm stereotypingI'm a south Asian and proud and have seen many south Asian teens disregard their culture and act whiteWhy thoughI mean their really hypocritical and they claim they are from Dubai but they are desi.They also make fun of other south Asians who take pride in their ethnicity if they watch bollywood and thatThey disregard asian values, music, food, clothesThey try and get hangoversSmh. I got made fun of by saying salam alikum to a fellow asian by that same personThey also are sometimes ashamed of their religion. Like deal with it you are asian. You can't change that. Take pride in your ethnicity
in my experience it's usually the Indians who have become 'coconuts'
Original post by Saba XD
I couldn't help it. Whenever I tell someone that I'm a Pakistani, no one believes me. So, I couldn't help but be white, I guess.
pathan?
I live in England you idiot
How about you deal with the fact that people are free to act they way the want. Sorry for not fitting in with your 'asian values'.
nah why do some south asians act road
they know their abba or whatever you call it will kill them if they're out too late :rolleyes:
Original post by Bashar Al Assad
pathan?

:yep:

Quick Reply

Latest