The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

BSc Computing & IT Degree

Heya,

I am thinking of doing the BSc Computing & IT and Business Degree at OU starting Feb 2017.

I just wanted to ask of people's opinions, good points and complaints on this degree with OU.

Any tips or advice? I plan to study full time 120 credits per year.

I'm just a little unsure because I've seem some people say its good and others been criticising it so I'm kinda confused.
Original post by HamzaH1996
Heya,

I am thinking of doing the BSc Computing & IT and Business Degree at OU starting Feb 2017.

I just wanted to ask of people's opinions, good points and complaints on this degree with OU.

I'm just a little unsure because I've seem some people say its good and others been criticising it so I'm kinda confused.

If you start in February you will probably struggle to study full time as most modules start in October. So either you'll have to take 18 months to do year 1 and then year 2 and 3 in 1 year each, or wait until next October to get going.

The OU is good, I don't do IT so I can't comment on that. But 120 is tough, I did it last year and had I not had other problems I think I would have succeeded, but I was working two casual jobs at the time with flexible hours (around 16-30 a week), there's no way I'd want to attempt it if I were working full time.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by SuperCat007
If you start in February you will probably struggle to study full time as most modules start in October. So either you'll have to take 18 months to do year 1 and then year 2 and 3 in 1 year each, or wait until next October to get going.

The OU is good, I don't do IT so I can't comment on that. But 120 is tough, I did it last year and had I not had other problems I think I would have succeeded, but I was working two casual jobs at the time with flexible hours (around 16-30 a week), there's no way I'd want to attempt it if I were working full time.

I've already done my 1st year at a different Uni so I will just be doing 2nd & 3rd year.

I'm not working full-time but I might get part-time job.

And you said that most modules start in October, so if I start in Feb then it will run from Feb - Oct for 1 year and then start next Feb for the final year?
The only Stage 2 module which is available for a February presentation appears to be M256: Software Development With Java. Indeed, it is only available for February presentations, and has M250: Object-oriented Java programming as a prerequisite.

Note that it isn't visible on the visible-to-the-internet site, but students on a Computing & IT course can see that next academic year (2017 for October presentations and 2018 for February presentations) will be the final presentations of most stage 2 modules. We have not yet learned what will be replacing them. I'm on the final presentation year (there will be one last presentation in February) of the Stage 1 TU100 module, which will be replaced going forward by TM111 and TM112, which will be 30-credit modules that switch the programming language to Python. It is entirely possible that python will be the OOP flavour of choice going forward.
I've already done my 1st year at a different Uni so I will just be doing 2nd & 3rd year.

I'm not working full-time but I might get part-time job.

And you said that most modules start in October, so if I start in Feb then it will run from Feb - Oct for 1 year and then start next Feb for the final year?

No, check the module start dates for all of the modules you want to do. You will probably find that most have October only start date. The dates are based on when the modules start, not when you start studying. You might find you have an awkward transition from year 1 - year 2.
Reply 5
Heya,

I'm starting in Feb 2017 too. Starting off with just TU100. Hoping to then start TM129 and MU123 in October 2017.
Reply 6
Original post by SuperCat007
No, check the module start dates for all of the modules you want to do. You will probably find that most have October only start date. The dates are based on when the modules start, not when you start studying. You might find you have an awkward transition from year 1 - year 2.

How do I check the start date for the modules? There is no start date info when I click on the individual pages for each module.

The modules I want to do are M250, TT284. Then I gotta pick another 60 credits which I'm not entirely sure of yet but it might be M258 and T227.
How do I check the start date for the modules? There is no start date info when I click on the individual pages for each module.

The modules I want to do are M250, TT284. Then I gotta pick another 60 credits which I'm not entirely sure of yet but it might be M258 and T227.

Near the bottom of the module pages you'll find a section called "Future availability" which shows when the next presentation of the module will be, how many times a year it typically runs, and possibly information on its final presentation if it's coming to an end.

M250 will be presented in October of 2017. Though it doesn't show this on the Internet, it will be the final presentation of the module.

TT284 will be presented in October of 2017 and October 2018. The latter will be its final presentation.

M258 will be presented in October of 2017 and October 2018. The latter will be its final presentation.

T227 will be presented in October of 2017 and October 2018. The latter will be its final presentation.
Reply 8
Original post by JollyCynic
Near the bottom of the module pages you'll find a section called "Future availability" which shows when the next presentation of the module will be, how many times a year it typically runs, and possibly information on its final presentation if it's coming to an end.

M250 will be presented in October of 2017. Though it doesn't show this on the Internet, it will be the final presentation of the module.

TT284 will be presented in October of 2017 and October 2018. The latter will be its final presentation.

M258 will be presented in October of 2017 and October 2018. The latter will be its final presentation.

T227 will be presented in October of 2017 and October 2018. The latter will be its final presentation.

Okay so since the modules run from Oct - Feb, this means I'll be doing 120 credits in 5 months, that's abit much isn't it?

What will I be doing from March - Oct then?
Okay so since the modules run from Oct - Feb, this means I'll be doing 120 credits in 5 months, that's abit much isn't it?

What will I be doing from March - Oct then?

I can understand the confusion, as the OU appears to intentionally make this information scarce.

October presentation modules typically run through to May/June. February presentation modules run through to August/September. No idea when April and July modules run through to, since I've never actually seen one.

This means that if students start both October and February presentations (such as taking M250 and M256), they have overlap between February and May/June. They also have nearly no downtime before the next academic year starts.
Reply 10
Original post by creek2016
I'm starting in Feb 2017 too. Starting off with just TU100. Hoping to then start TM129 and MU123 in October 2017.

Hi :-) ,me too,thinking of going the CISCO networking route,looking forward to it..
Original post by lee1983
Hi :-) ,me too,thinking of going the CISCO networking route,looking forward to it..

Me too! Bit puzzled though as it says that this module T216 (CCNA) is scheduled to start for the last time in October 2017!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've created a Whatsapp group for TU100 Feb 2017 starters. Message me if interested

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by creek2016
Me too! Bit puzzled though as it says that this module T216 (CCNA) is scheduled to start for the last time in October 2017!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i think a couple other modules are the same with next year being the final year,is there an updated prospectus or an idea of what will be in their place?
Original post by lee1983
i think a couple other modules are the same with next year being the final year,is there an updated prospectus or an idea of what will be in their place?

I know Cisco updated CCNA from v2.0 to v3.0 in August 2016. Not sure if this is any relevance to it being available for the last time in October 2017 with the OU. As it's an external exam maybe the OU review the module every year? Maybe this is why it says October 2017? I'm just speculating

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Heya,

I'm going to be doing a DipHE in Computing & IT, February start too. Full-time over the next two years. TU100, TM129 and MU123, then the Software Development pathway (haven't chosen the optional modules for the second year, yet -- possibly CCNA).

I've heard full-time OU study can be a bit of a challenge, but conversely I've heard the first year is a walk in the park, especially if you're at all familiar with IT already. I'm staying optimistic. 😁

Surprised how many February starters I've seen about.
Reply 16
Original post by Toby90

I've heard full-time OU study can be a bit of a challenge, but conversely I've heard the first year is a walk in the park, especially if you're at all familiar with IT already. I'm staying optimistic. 😁

Surprised how many February starters I've seen about.

I plan to start full-time studies for 2nd-3rd year in Oct 2017.

Studying full time at OU would just be like studying full time at a normal brick Uni right?
Reply 17
I plan to start full-time studies for 2nd-3rd year in Oct 2017.

Studying full time at OU would just be like studying full time at a normal brick Uni right?

Yeah, I think so.

I think people say it's difficult because they either work alongside studying and struggle to find the time to study, or because they feel they need more help. The OU are by all accounts really good at supporting learners, through various means, but there could never be the same level of support and interaction that you'd get at a brick university (even if it's just being around other learners).

For people who need that extra little bit of help, I can see how they might find it difficult.
Reply 18
Original post by Toby90
Yeah, I think so.

I think people say it's difficult because they either work alongside studying and struggle to find the time to study, or because they feel they need more help. The OU are by all accounts really good at supporting learners, through various means, but there could never be the same level of support and interaction that you'd get at a brick university (even if it's just being around other learners).

For people who need that extra little bit of help, I can see how they might find it difficult.

Well if you can afford additional tuition then that wouldn't really be a problem I think.

Quick Reply

Latest