The Student Room Group

Would you prefer a soft or hard Brexit?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 41
the same way I like sex, hard and fast with lots of crying
I would prefer a soft/non-existent one. Nationalistic ramblings about sovereignty and shoring up our borders are a step backwards in social evolution that makes the UK look like a social basket case to forward thinking progressive sections of the world. The EU has faults, many of them, and they should be addressed. We should be in the EU trying to ensure that an institution trying to promote more global thinking is held to account and procedes in the interests of the people not businesses/capitalism.

If we are determined to have a hard Brexit and believe the paranoid propoganda laden twaddle which is peddled by the media and certain polititians wishing to deflect blame for their own failed policies then I hope that the blind sheep, aka the Brexiteers, get what they deserve. If this is the case the UK will find out the hard way just how full of $%$$ and uninformed the Brexiteers are. Then maybe after maybe 25/50 years of stagnation we can move onwards in a more progressive fashion once again.
Original post by Reason and Logic
I would prefer a soft/non-existent one. Nationalistic ramblings about sovereignty and shoring up our borders are a step backwards in social evolution that makes the UK look like a social basket case to forward thinking progressive sections of the world. The EU has faults, many of them, and they should be addressed. We should be in the EU trying to ensure that an institution trying to promote more global thinking is held to account and procedes in the interests of the people not businesses/capitalism.

If we are determined to have a hard Brexit and believe the paranoid propoganda laden twaddle which is peddled by the media and certain polititians wishing to deflect blame for their own failed policies then I hope that the blind sheep, aka the Brexiteers, get what they deserve. If this is the case the UK will find out the hard way just how full of $%$$ and uninformed the Brexiteers are. Then maybe after maybe 25/50 years of stagnation we can move onwards in a more progressive fashion once again.

Ah yes, because the EU has openly embraced change during its existence. It seems that it's more apparent that those who run the EU are set on making the union both deeper & broader despite the dangers of doing so. The European Union was originally designed as an economic free trade area which is something I'm supportive of. What the EU has amalgamated into however is ridiculous. The legislation, proposed by the unelected Commission, is sovereign over the laws of the host nations which is something I cannot support. Now the EU is even trying to create its own military to add to the power it already has.

The EU, at least in its current form, will not exist in 25 years time. Guaranteed. The union has tried to unite counties with too many social & economic differences - look at the economies of German & Greece for example. Policies that work for one do not necessarily work for another. The Euro, in this circumstance, makes the situation even worse.
The freedom of movement policy is in dire need of reform - if David Cameron would have received guarantees that the policy would have been amended should the UK remain in the EU then I'm 99% certain that the UK would not have voted to leave. I personally understand that immigration does have benefits but the sheer fact that there is absolutely no limit whatsoever on EU migration is a total non-starter for both myself & much of the electorate. I have no doubt that a small minority of individuals voted to leave because they hate all foreigners; I also have no doubt that for the majority of those who voted to leave did so not because they have a hatred of those from abroad but because the levels of migration have changed the areas they live in for the worse.
I don't think it's a coincidence that Boston in Lincolnshire had the highest percentage of those voting to leave; according to an article in the Independent from January, over 10% of its population have come from Eastern Europe.

You might be happy with allowing the EU to have sovereignty over the UK Parliament but it seems like you've been out voted. I voted to leave but with reluctance; I'd have preferred to remain in a reformed EU but all evidence suggested that the reforms I wanted to see were not going to happen.
I don't care, I just know that I will be doing lots of travelling around Europe before Brexit happens. I will also focus on building up my life and career in case the economy comes crashing down. I voted Remain so shouldn't have to suffer with those who voted Leave.

Soft Brxit doesn't sound too bad, good for the economy and the job market. But that would make Leave voters very angry.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144
I don't care, I just know that I will be doing lots of travelling around Europe before Brexit happens. I will also focus on building up my life and career in case the economy comes crashing down. I voted Remain so shouldn't have to suffer with those who voted Leave.

Soft Brxit doesn't sound too bad, good for the economy and the job market. But that would make Leave voters very angry.

You seem to be implying that the EU will build a walk or something, and if things were going to be going tits up it would be over the next 12 months, not in 3 years, if anything there should be a small boost after brexit when the investment spikes up again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Hard, it's what we voted for.
Original post by Reue
Hard, it's what we voted for.

Pray tell where on the ballot paper that was an option, I think mine and the specimens were defective.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by Jammy Duel
Pray tell where on the ballot paper that was an option, I think mine and the specimens were defective.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe it was clear from the leave campaign what you'd be voting for. There's never been a manifesto on a ballot paper.*
Original post by Reue
I believe it was clear from the leave campaign what you'd be voting for. There's never been a manifesto on a ballot paper.*

The leave campaign had no manifesto, nor any single message on how hard or otherwise a Brexit they wanted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
rock-hard, baby
Reply 51
Original post by Jammy Duel
The leave campaign had no manifesto, nor any single message on how hard or otherwise a Brexit they wanted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was not the perception I had. All messaging seemed to be aimed towards a complete withdrawal on the freedom of EU movement.
Original post by Reue
That was not the perception I had. All messaging seemed to be aimed towards a complete withdrawal on the freedom of EU movement.

Which is hardly explicitly advocating a hard brexit given that seems to more often be looking at explicit intent to basically have a complete divorce

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Poseidious
Hard or soft (ehhh), Brexit isn't going to be easy for the working and lower middle class people. Me personally, I would rather not had an exit but the will of the people commands it. If I had a choice, I would go for a soft one as we don't really have a back-up plan if everything goes south.

Totally agree, brexit is deff gonna affect you guys and if I were you I would prefer a soft one where you maintain a great relation with the EU
Reply 54
What is the 'way forward' now that we are 'brexiting'? What do you think is the best solution - like where do you think we should be headed now? Or that we are headed now?
Reply 55
Original post by WoodyMKC
Title sounds like a euphemism.

[video="youtube;YzZ86GYoxE0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzZ86GYoxE0[/video]
Brexit needs to give us the freedom to negotiate our own international trade deals .... if we stay, in any form, which restrict us from negotiating our own deals, and leave it to the EU ... this is what happened...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37749609

CETA being held-to-ransom by a provincial council! The EU just does not work!
Original post by Tempest II
It seems that it's more apparent that those who run the EU are set on making the union both deeper & broader despite the dangers of doing so.

This is what I find so amusing about anti-EU propaganda. "Those people" that run the EU include us. UK politicians. We were the ones who helped broker free trade and movement and we were the ones that benefited from that.

When the talent pool in this country stagnates and dries up, either the UK government will bend to commercial pressure and open the doors again, or we slowly become quiet backwater slipping into the past.

The sooner we as a nation recognise that economic muscle is no longer what you can make, but what you know, and that that knowledge can come from anywhere in the world, the better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending