The Student Room Group

How do Apprenticeship AND Driving Lessons?

Hello,

I've been taking driving lessons for well over a year now and am taking my test in late November. However, my dad wants me to get an apprenticeship so I'm not sat at home all day. I'm looking but I'm kind of worried about getting one because these are all about 9-5.30 monday-friday apprenticeships and if I get one I don't know how I'd still be able to have driving lessons.
Reply 1
Book your lessons on the weekends???? (Good luck for your test!)
Original post by alxlg
Book your lessons on the weekends???? (Good luck for your test!)

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure my driving instructor doesn't work weekends.
Original post by similarBlank
Hello,

I've been taking driving lessons for well over a year now and am taking my test in late November. However, my dad wants me to get an apprenticeship so I'm not sat at home all day. I'm looking but I'm kind of worried about getting one because these are all about 9-5.30 monday-friday apprenticeships and if I get one I don't know how I'd still be able to have driving lessons.

Book lessons for evenings or weekends. Or even before work.
Most instructors accommodate that.
Original post by Emma:-)
Book lessons for evenings or weekends. Or even before work.
Most instructors accommodate that.

Mine doesn't do weekends, I think, and stops work at 17:00. Not sure when he starts, though.
Mine doesn't do weekends, I think, and stops work at 17:00. Not sure when he starts, though.

Double check about weekends, you never know.
Ask what time he starts. My old instructor did lessons with at 7:45 in a morning for a while (i had to be at college placement at 8:50, and ended the lesson outside placement).
Change driving instructor? Surely that solves the problem pretty quickly?
Original post by Donkey******
Change driving instructor? Surely that solves the problem pretty quickly?

It'd be pretty distracting and timecosting to change the driving instructor I've had for nearly two years the month before my driving test.
It'd be pretty distracting and timecosting to change the driving instructor I've had for nearly two years the month before my driving test.

Odds of you starting an apprenticeship in such a short window are pretty slim, start looking, you'll likely get beyond your test before you find something.
I'm currently in an Apprenticeship, working 9/5:30. My driving instructor meets me every friday at 5:30 till 6:30 every week. Have you tried talking to your instructor, asking if he could make this exception for you?

I don't know if you've already been accepted into an Apprenticeship, but from applying to actually getting an apprenticeship position can take a while. I started applying end of October 2015, went to loads of interviews, and finally got an Apprenticeship end of Jan 2016. The time it takes to actually get an apprenticeship could be something to consider as you could've passed your test by then?

Also you could always do in your lunch break? At my work we can eat whenever we like as long as we are doing our work. Could ask your instructor to do an hour in your lunch??

Mornings before Apprenticeships? It may sound long, having to get up even eairlier then work an 8 hour day. But if you're quite close to passing your test, you will only have to do this for a little while. Could be something worth thinking about?
I'm in an apprenticeship working full time and I do my driving lessons in the evening (work to home) or morning (home to work). If your apprenticeship offers flexible working hours you could do lunch time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending