The Student Room Group

Sheffield vs Durham vs Lancaster vs Manchester university

Hi there,
Could anyone please advice me which of these universities has the best accounting and management course and also which has a good university life for an introvert. Whether the city or campus life is better. Please tell me how each of these universities teaching is. Any past student? I have applied through UCAS and I'm wating for the offers from them. Much needed help.

Thank you :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

In terms of course, compare course structures to work out which is better for you. Most unis will have a range of things to do and people to interact with so don't worry about being an introvert.
Original post by alleycat393
In terms of course, compare course structures to work out which is better for you. Most unis will have a range of things to do and people to interact with so don't worry about being an introvert.

Ohh great thanks alot. Which university is the best out of the 4?
Original post by crazyhacker123
Ohh great thanks alot. Which university is the best out of the 4?

Have you or do you intend to vist them?
Original post by 999tigger
Have you or do you intend to vist them?

No i cannot since i am not from the UK.
Could anyone tell me how the teaching is in each university? Any past student please explain.
Thank you.
No i cannot since i am not from the UK.

I think on an academic basis it would be:

Durham
Manchester
Sheffield
Lancaster

Manchester and Sheffield are in large cities.
They all are quite different. maybe post on each of the bits of the forum for that university.
I think on an academic basis it would be:

Durham
Manchester
Sheffield
Lancaster

Manchester and Sheffield are in large cities.
They all are quite different. maybe post on each of the bits of the forum for that university.

So by far Durham is the best?
But i heard the campus for business and management is away from the main campus and life is boring there?
So by far Durham is the best?
But i heard the campus for business and management is away from the main campus and life is boring there?

You will need to check on individual subjects. they all have different characters. The top 3 are all Russel Group Unis.

You said you were an introvert, so what sort of uni would you want? Go and ask on the individual forums for the unis concerned.
You will need to check on individual subjects. they all have different characters. The top 3 are all Russel Group Unis.

You said you were an introvert, so what sort of uni would you want? Go and ask on the individual forums for the unis concerned.

A university which has a friendly atmosphere and very easy to make friends with.
I think either Durham or Lancaster would be the best option for you. Lancaster is a campus and is not very club like, and Durham is very prestige and they have announced that their Management school will be moved back into Durham for 2017 start. So it wont be at Queens Campus anymore. Sheffiled and Manchester are both very student like cities, lots of clubs and places to go. Lancaster and Durham are the exact opposite.
Original post by prostheticzeta
I think either Durham or Lancaster would be the best option for you. Lancaster is a campus and is not very club like, and Durham is very prestige and they have announced that their Management school will be moved back into Durham for 2017 start. So it wont be at Queens Campus anymore. Sheffiled and Manchester are both very student like cities, lots of clubs and places to go. Lancaster and Durham are the exact opposite.

Oh okay great thanks alot :smile:
Are the teaching methods the same between the 2? Or different?
Hi there,
Could anyone please advice me which of these universities has the best accounting and management course and also which has a good university life for an introvert. Whether the city or campus life is better. Please tell me how each of these universities teaching is. Any past student? I have applied through UCAS and I'm wating for the offers from them. Much needed help.

Thank you :smile:

1. Durham
2. Manchester
3. Sheffield/ Lancaster

Don't know anything about the courses, though that's how it is reputation wise(and I believe reputation is probably the biggest factor of a university to an employer (though the factor of the university in its entirety isn't that great, as long as it's good)).
I chose Lancaster over Durham because I love the location and the course is adequate. Personal interest>prestige.
Remember you're going to be studying there for 2-4 years. You really need to check out the places first hand to see if you are ok with where you want to study.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
1. Durham
2. Manchester
3. Sheffield/ Lancaster

Don't know anything about the courses, though that's how it is reputation wise(and I believe reputation is probably the biggest factor of a university to an employer (though the factor of the university in its entirety isn't that great, as long as it's good)).

Oh right thank you :smile:
Original post by AlexFam
I chose Lancaster over Durham because I love the location and the course is adequate. Personal interest>prestige.

Is it a very busy area lancaster?
What course did you apply for you? And how is it going?
Is it a very busy area lancaster?
What course did you apply for you? And how is it going?

Getting to the town centre from the uni is hell. Last bus I took there took an hour. There's plenty of stuff on campus though, so you could really just live there and never leave.

I'm doing an integrated masters in physics, classes haven't actually started yet though :biggrin:. I've been enjoying fresher's.
Original post by AlexFam
Getting to the town centre from the uni is hell. Last bus I took there took an hour. There's plenty of stuff on campus though, so you could really just live there and never leave.

I'm doing an integrated masters in physics, classes haven't actually started yet though :biggrin:. I've been enjoying fresher's.

Oh okay is alot going on in campus? Is it lively?
How do you like freshers week? Are there games or what happens in freshers week?
Oh okay great thanks alot :smile:
Are the teaching methods the same between the 2? Or different?

go on the website - https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/

you can compare the two universities and their courses and it will show their teaching methods and compare so you can see which one is the most appropriate for you

Quick Reply

Latest