The Student Room Group

Change to medicine? Medicine or chemical engineering

I'm currently studying maths, further maths and chemistry. I did AS physics.

For a while time I've been looking to study chemical engineering. I really love chemistry and I have been encourage to pursure engineering. I thought I wanted to study chemistry, but the job prospects and oppurtunities post graduate are much more appealing for chemical engineering. I also enjoy maths and I am quite good at it.

However, I've always had it in the back of my mind that I want to be a doctor. At first, I never thought I was good enough and by the time I got to getting my GCSEs , even though they were probably good enough for medicine, my mind was set on engineering as I had really been encouraged to take physics and persue engineering.

I am now having a crisis. I like the job prospects available within chemical engineering but I don't know if the degree itself is really for me, it's heavily physicsy and I do not particualrly enjoy that.

I have the opportunity to study the whole of biology A-level this year, do some work experience and apply for medicine next year. I have already done maths A-level and would be doing the whole of further maths this year, but I would drop further maths if I took biology.

Is it to risky to go for medicine when it's so competitive to get in anyway? Should I stick with chemical engineering?
Reply 1
Original post by munchkin1212

For a while time I've been looking to study chemical engineering. I really love chemistry and I have been encourage to pursure engineering. I thought I wanted to study chemistry, but the job prospects and oppurtunities post graduate are much more appealing for chemical engineering. I also enjoy maths and I am quite good at it.

However, I've always had it in the back of my mind that I want to be a doctor. At first, I never thought I was good enough and by the time I got to getting my GCSEs , even though they were probably good enough for medicine, my mind was set on engineering as I had really been encouraged to take physics and persue engineering.

I am now having a crisis. I like the job prospects available within chemical engineering but I don't know if the degree itself is really for me, it's heavily physicsy and I do not particualrly enjoy that.

I have the opportunity to study the whole of biology A-level this year, do some work experience and apply for medicine next year. I have already done maths A-level and would be doing the whole of further maths this year, but I would drop further maths if I took biology.

Is it to risky to go for medicine when it's so competitive to get in anyway? Should I stick with chemical engineering?

first of all unis wont look at your further maths at all. what were your gcses and as levels? if you really want to get into medicne then go for it!! you dont want to be stuck in chemical engineering. have you done any work expereicne?
Reply 2
also some unis want all your a levels at the same time so your maths a level last wouldnt count
Original post by katrusse
first of all unis wont look at your further maths at all. what were your gcses and as levels? if you really want to get into medicne then go for it!! you dont want to be stuck in chemical engineering. have you done any work expereicne?

GCSEs: 11A* 2A
AS: A*AA (A* in maths although it hasn't been cashed in)
A2: currently predicted A*A*A (maths, chemistry, f.maths, but I would drop f.maths and the biology teacher said she would predict me an A in biology)

I have no work experience. I have done some community based work experience, but nothing in a care environment. My plan would be to apply next year for 2018 entry and do work experience this year.
Reply 4
GCSEs: 11A* 2A
AS: A*AA (A* in maths although it hasn't been cashed in)
A2: currently predicted A*A*A (maths, chemistry, f.maths, but I would drop f.maths and the biology teacher said she would predict me an A in biology)

I have no work experience. I have done some community based work experience, but nothing in a care environment. My plan would be to apply next year for 2018 entry and do work experience this year.

yep your stats are good but it isnt just about that you need a LOT of work experience and proof that you want to be a doctor. if you want to do it- go for it but you have to be completely sure you want to do medicine
Original post by katrusse
yep your stats are good but it isnt just about that you need a LOT of work experience and proof that you want to be a doctor. if you want to do it- go for it but you have to be completely sure you want to do medicine

Should I get care home type experience and shadowing doctors experience??
From your history of academic success I should think that you are more than capable of succeeding! Will you be sitting in on AS and A2 classes for Biology?
Should I get care home type experience and shadowing doctors experience??

Try and get both
Original post by Philip-flop
From your history of academic success I should think that you are more than capable of succeeding! Will you be sitting in on AS and A2 classes for Biology?

That was the plan yeah :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
you seem like you'd have a good chance getting in considering your stats, especially for gcse heavy unis. i'd say do biology a level this year, get your work experience, and through your work experience you should be able to tell for certain if you want to do medicine or not. if you finish 1-2 weeks work experience and are still unsure then it might not be for you, and you can still just apply for chemical engineering the next year instead of medicine the next year, so both options will still be open to you. try to get some experience/more insight into chemical engineering as well and compare the two fields, if you end out deciding you find medicine more interesting you should definitely go for it!!
Original post by zmlk
you seem like you'd have a good chance getting in considering your stats, especially for gcse heavy unis. i'd say do biology a level this year, get your work experience, and through your work experience you should be able to tell for certain if you want to do medicine or not. if you finish 1-2 weeks work experience and are still unsure then it might not be for you, and you can still just apply for chemical engineering the next year instead of medicine the next year, so both options will still be open to you. try to get some experience/more insight into chemical engineering as well and compare the two fields, if you end out deciding you find medicine more interesting you should definitely go for it!!

That's great advice, thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11

Most medical schools insist on 3 A2s achieved at one sitting and do not consider Maths and Further Maths as separate subjects. From what I can see, you will not meet those requirements? Are you saying you have already achieved your A* in Maths? In which case, most Unis would still want you to get 3As at one sitting and would not count Further Maths as one of those subjects. This might be a problem for medicine, let alone the work experience, volunteering, etc. Research this carefully before you decide, but if there are places that will accept this, then you can always apply for Chemical Engineering next year if you decide medicine is not for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending