The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hamza_33
can anyone provide an example of a way to show empathy in a personal statement or at least mention it?

For mine I used my hospital volunteering. I helped to calm down a dementia patient who was confused about her surroundings and why she was in the hospital, by just talking to her and offering comfort basically. She was going through a rough patch with her dementia that day and I just talked in my PS about me trying to understand how lonely she must have felt, hence why I sat down with her so long and offered her a hot drink etc. My example is nothing major but it is still something. Hope that helps a bit!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just sat my ukcat yesterday and got

VR: 530 :frown:
QR: 750
AR: 750
SJ: Band one.

I'm taking a gap year and from Ireland. My leaving cert went well I got 2A1's 3A2's (including biology, chemistry) and 2B's, and my personal statement is pretty good.
Is that a good ukcat score? Where should I apply?
Original post by irishgirl2016
I just sat my ukcat yesterday and got

VR: 530 :frown:
QR: 750
AR: 750
SJ: Band one.

I'm taking a gap year and from Ireland. My leaving cert went well I got 2A1's 3A2's (including biology, chemistry) and 2B's, and my personal statement is pretty good.
Is that a good ukcat score? Where should I apply?

Yep that's good well done!
Original post by michaela__
For mine I used my hospital volunteering. I helped to calm down a dementia patient who was confused about her surroundings and why she was in the hospital, by just talking to her and offering comfort basically. She was going through a rough patch with her dementia that day and I just talked in my PS about me trying to understand how lonely she must have felt, hence why I sat down with her so long and offered her a hot drink etc. My example is nothing major but it is still something. Hope that helps a bit!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sweet I'm gonna use that in my PS now
Original post by YouHaveProblems
Sweet I'm gonna use that in my PS now

Have fun lmao 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hamza_33
can anyone provide an example of a way to show empathy in a personal statement or at least mention it?

Also if you have a retail job etc then you could easily use a customer as an example too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
Also if you have a retail job etc then you could easily use a customer as an example too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awww yeahhh.
For St. Georges they want a GCSE point of 416 .... I have 398 :frown:
I have been predicted AAA and I got above 500 in each of my UKCAT sections like they said on their website..
Would i not get an offer??
When are the deciles released?
Original post by mm_7
For St. Georges they want a GCSE point of 416 .... I have 398 :frown:
I have been predicted AAA and I got above 500 in each of my UKCAT sections like they said on their website..
Would i not get an offer??

You wouldn't unfortunately :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chopra52
When are the deciles released?

7th October

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASupertramp
Cheers, I'll update tomorrow.

How did you do?

Original post by jenigma
Are you on a gap year now then?

Well more people means lower average as not everyone scores highly.

People don't actually do worse (although some could do if you're stressing about BMAT/GAMSAT/UCAS on top of UKCAT).. it's just a bigger population compared to 10,000 doing it prelim so scores have a wider range and the mean tends to be lower.

Why are you both not considering 6-year foundation courses? I don't know much about them but I'm sure some med schools have ones for people from non-science backgrounds? Not considering GAMSAT either?

Newcastle.

Yep, took a gap year so I could get more medicine related work experience!
Original post by jenigma

Well more people means lower average as not everyone scores highly.

People don't actually do worse (although some could do if you're stressing about BMAT/GAMSAT/UCAS on top of UKCAT).. it's just a bigger population compared to 10,000 doing it prelim so scores have a wider range and the mean tends to be lower.

This sounds silly, it doesn't make sense one bit. "More population means lower average" what?
You do know the amount of people sitting the exam has no effect on individual scores right?
A wider range doesn't mean a lower average at all. I don't get what u are talking about here lol

Anyway, everyone I have spoke to that has done it in September an October seem to do better. You could suggest because they have more time to revise and perform much better than others and therefore the mean should be expected to go up. Or you could suggest people have to study Alevels at same time and perform worse but not everyone does a level and this affect is over weighed by the previous example as this only applies to people who focus on Alrvels a lot to the extent where their score is affected and the other one applies to almost everyone.
But in reality there are so many factors and we can't know, I just don't understand your reasoning because that doesn't make sense.
So excited to see the results tomorrow!! Hoping that the averages go down :-)
Does anyone know what the bottom 20% nationally is in terms of ukcat score? Like what's the score you have to have?*
Original post by ellen111
Does anyone know what the bottom 20% nationally is in terms of ukcat score? Like what's the score you have to have?*

We'll find out tomorrow lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its happening! Everybody calm down, calm the #$%£ down!
Good luck for tomorrow everyone!
Whilst most will be screaming in joy, others (like me) will be crying our eyes out :frown:
Original post by Chopra52
Good luck for tomorrow everyone!
Whilst most will be screaming in joy, others (like me) will be crying our eyes out :frown:

how did you score?
Original post by jaysinn
So excited to see the results tomorrow!! Hoping that the averages go down :-)

mee too , how did you score?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending