The Student Room Group

Can you swim?

Scroll to see replies

Use to be able to
Now I can probably only swim for 5 seconds and im very slow
Original post by ColossalAtom
Used to be on a swimming team. Didn't really like diving and doing the flip under water to change direction. I think my team came in 3rd place in some competition. I'm not tall enough to swim competitively.

???

I didn't know that you had to be a certain height to do that; how tall do you have to be?
Yup. Recently learned and now I go regularly.

There isn't a height requirement. Competitive swimmers tend to be reasonably tall
Original post by chickenonsteroids
There isn't a height requirement. Competitive swimmers tend to be reasonably tall

^
It's kind of like competitive rowing.
Yup. Recently learned and now I go regularly.

Original post by ColossalAtom
^
It's kind of like competitive rowing.

Ah okay, I guess that makes sense; bigger feet and everything
Reply 65
I'm a great swimmer! I used to swim for a club and I'm currently working part time as a lifeguard!
I swim. I can crawl, front and back stroke, butterfly (somewhat).

I swam 1 km once... had to swim the last 50m on my back, I was exhausted.
nope. I cant swim whatsoever.
Wouldnt mind but when swimming was compulsory at ks3 and "life saving" was the topic i had to literally just jump in the deep end.
I have a fear of drowning... but not to the point where i wont get in a bath. its like a fear of depths i guess. But yeh, that time made it a LOT worse and i probably never will due to the fact that i no longer trust any swimming teacher as they all go too fast and all my private ones just pushed me too much to the point where i was scared of being in water. that passed pretty quickly though so meh
I learned to swim as a kid and got on pretty well with it. I haven't swam in a few years, but I reckon I'd still be fine
Original post by Toasticide
Wouldnt mind but when swimming was compulsory at ks3 and "life saving" was the topic i had to literally just jump in the deep end.
I have a fear of drowning... but not to the point where i wont get in a bath. its like a fear of depths i guess. But yeh, that time made it a LOT worse and i probably never will due to the fact that i no longer trust any swimming teacher as they all go too fast and all my private ones just pushed me too much to the point where i was scared of being in water. that passed pretty quickly though so meh

I think everyone fears drowning.

The thing that helped me the most was starting at the section I could comfortable stand up in. Then trying to sit down at the bottom of the pool. Or lie down. Then I realised that it's quite difficult to do.

Afterwards, practising swimming and making mistakes is much easier when you understand that you can just stand up. Then you'll get better and be able to swim in the deeper sections of the pool.

These two sites were helpful:

http://ruthkazez.com/FearOfWater/FearOfWater.html

http://ruthkazez.com/Zeroto1milePreamble/pre-zero.html

Speedo has a bunch of great videos on their official YT channel. So you can use those in conjunction with the links above to teach yourself (if you can't find good teachers... and still want to learn)
(edited 7 years ago)
Yup, I know how to swim :biggrin:
I think everyone fears drowning.

The thing that helped me the most was starting at the section I could comfortable stand up in. Then trying to sit down at the bottom of the pool. Or lie down. Then I realised that it's quite difficult to do.

Afterwards, practising swimming and making mistakes is much easier when you understand that you can just stand up. Then you'll get better and be able to swim in the deeper sections of the pool.

These two sites were helpful:

http://ruthkazez.com/FearOfWater/FearOfWater.html

http://ruthkazez.com/Zeroto1milePreamble/pre-zero.html

Speedo has a bunch of great videos on their official YT channel. So you can use those in conjunction with the links above to teach yourself (if you can't find good teachers... and still want to learn)

yeah if i remember correctly i actually got pretty close to doing basic swimming, but then i was forced to straight up jump in the deep and then after that i couldnt. I do think i should try again though actually. Never know when it may help
Original post by Toasticide

Don't give up, just keep trying, you'll get it one day. Just tell them if they're going too fast for your liking
yeah ez work .
Reply 74
i can swim, but im so unhealthy and my stamina is so bad that i cant swim for long
I can't swim to save my life but if I can swim TO save my life, that would be a great in itself.
lol it was years ago
my butterfly has died unfortunately but its ghost lives on :u:I don't sink so that's a pro lel
wbu?
I wore a wetsuit and I prepared myself mentally for the shock. I got trained to do it by my Triathlon team at University. University is a great place to practice swimming and triathlon.
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
lol it was years ago
my butterfly has died unfortunately but its ghost lives on :u:I don't sink so that's a pro lel
wbu?

I can swim on the most basic level but I don't go into the water as often as I would like to due to other commitments. I enjoy it though :smile:

My grandfather used to be a swimming champion so no doubt that's where my love comes from
Me too :five: if only it wasn't so far away and expensive I'd go like every morning to keep fit :smile:
that is
AWESOME :ahee:

Quick Reply

Latest