The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rosser1994
Spot on. Just trying to decide on the last, don't have a first so Barts is out. Potentially Newcastle, but yeah I know a 5 year course is ridiculous for funding.. it would mean taking out a pretty huge loan to cover it all. So may not be worth it from that angle, if I were to though.. where would you consider?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would never advocate a biomed graduate applying for the undergraduate course. (Or any graduate, to be honest). In my opinion, you are pretty much guaranteed interviews at Warwick and Southampton and possibly King's (with the potential of being considered for their 5 year course if interviewed and not offered a place on their GEM). I would give GEM at Newcastle a shot.

GEM itself is a pretty big financial undertaking!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JenniB22
You do know that Southampton invite to interview literally on the basis of your ukcat? If you have a high score you will definitely get an interview, and once you're at interview your chances of getting in are pretty high.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? I'm pretty worried about failing at interview, I know I can get interviews for the 4 year course. I don't have a 1st so my personal tutor advised me not to apply for 4 year courses and my overall application is pretty weak to be honest. I've done work experience 4 years ago and nothing since then.
ok so just found our birmingham wont accept my application without advanced higher so now am stuck for choice....I had*

Cambridge
Imerpial
Leeds

any fourth choice? (I didn't UKCAT this year, just BMAT) *
Original post by Ama2007
ok so just found our birmingham wont accept my application without advanced higher so now am stuck for choice....I had*

Cambridge
Imerpial
Leeds

any fourth choice? (I didn't UKCAT this year, just BMAT) *

Lancaster? But do check up on their requirements. i know they want BMAT but can't recall what grades they want :smile:
Does anyone know where your referee puts your degree prediction?*
Original post by NafNaf39
Lancaster? But do check up on their requirements. i know they want BMAT but can't recall what grades they want :smile:

is BMAT GCSE level or national 5s, etc?
Original post by Ama2007
is BMAT GCSE level or national 5s, etc?

I don't know what national 5s is, but I think its similar to GCSEs in terms of difficulty. However, don't take my word for it and just do some research :smile:

All the best!
Bmat is GCSE for some of the questions but also requires a level knowledge too. There is a specification to follow on the bmat website. Check it out
Original post by Hormonal
Really? I'm pretty worried about failing at interview, I know I can get interviews for the 4 year course. I don't have a 1st so my personal tutor advised me not to apply for 4 year courses and my overall application is pretty weak to be honest. I've done work experience 4 years ago and nothing since then.

that is what i was trying to tell you, is that some unis incl soton.. interview sole on ukcat score.

can't you try squeeze some in between now and your interviews?

also u don't need a 1st:

they don't distinguish between 1st and 2:1, unless its parts
its usually 2:1 and uKCAT score.
Original post by Lostperson
that is what i was trying to tell you, is that some unis incl soton.. interview sole on ukcat score.

can't you try squeeze some in between now and your interviews?

I called them up and I've decided to apply, but I'm still worried I won't stand out compared to the other applicants... Like I have no clue what you're supposed to say/do at a GEM interview... I'll be able to get care home work experience but it's looking unlikely for me to get proper work experience (I do have proper work experience from years ago).
Original post by Lostperson
it seems they wanted 1st classes last year

I called QMUL, they said they will compare your degree classifications with students who have 1st classes and Masters', so your competitiveness depends on the academic achievements of the cohort (most likely loads of 1st classes...).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1732
I called them up and I've decided to apply, but I'm still worried I won't stand out compared to the other applicants... Like I have no clue what you're supposed to say/do at a GEM interview... I'll be able to get care home work experience but it's looking unlikely for me to get proper work experience (I do have proper work experience from years ago).

Care home work experience is often looked upon more favourably than other types. Experience in a hospital only really covers healthcare, care homes cover social care.
Original post by GavinJR
Care home work experience is often looked upon more favourably than other types. Experience in a hospital only really covers healthcare, care homes cover social care.

That's good news, but I really don't know how I'm supposed to make myself stand out compared to other graduates who will look much more impressive. My application just looks like a standard applicant :/
Anyone applying to Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not having a first is not an issue unless you want to apply to barts or Birmingham or maybe Oxbridge. Southampton literally want a 2.1 and a minimum of a c at a level Chem. After that they literally don't care abut your academics. As for work experience, why not put down what you already have, and then get some more?? Southampton only look at your personal statement during the interview, so as long as you have something to say for yourself then you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes its a good choice to make to apply to them based on your ukcat score.

If i were you, i would get some work exp now..in time for interview to talk about.

Look on the NHS website. if you are in london UCLH is looking for many xx
I called QMUL, they said they will compare your degree classifications with students who have 1st classes and Masters', so your competitiveness depends on the academic achievements of the cohort (most likely loads of 1st classes...).

i have a 2:1 and an MSc but not going to bother applying.
too risky for me.
Reply 1738
QM initially use UKCAT cut off mark and then rank the remaining applicants academic profiles with the UKCAT scores if that helps.
Anyone know if it is worth applying to QM if I don't meet the GCSE criteria for A100 (5yr course)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending