The Student Room Group

My first job at 18-what do i expect?

Today i was hired by the manager at a Domino's store and have been told to come on Thursday for training but i am just scared if i am not competent enough.:frown:

I am also worried with juggling college and working.

I am excited but nervous at the same time.

Does anyone on here work in Dominos?

What is it like, what do you do and how much do you get paid?

Scroll to see replies

Not to put a downer on this but Domino's are minimum wage and by minimum I literally mean to the penny, my friend is 17 and getting paid £3.87 whilst I get £6.15 (also 17) at Gregg's! And also you should have been told you job roles/wage at the interview or at least specified in your contract?

As for coping, it depends how many hours you're at college and how many you're working, my contract is 8 hours and I sometimes work up to 15 hours but I personally wouldn't go any more that than.
Reply 2
Original post by caitlynm
Not to put a downer on this but Domino's are minimum wage and by minimum I literally mean to the penny, my friend is 17 and getting paid £3.87 whilst I get £6.15 (also 17) at Gregg's! And also you should have been told you job roles/wage at the interview or at least specified in your contract?

As for coping, it depends how many hours you're at college and how many you're working, my contract is 8 hours and I sometimes work up to 15 hours but I personally wouldn't go any more that than.

Out of interest, how did you get ur job at Greggs?

Wow, i did not expect the wage at dominos to be so little.

I pretty much thought 18 yer old get at least £5 or above.
Reply 3
Original post by caitlynm

I did not get told my job role, the manager just said xyz person will train you.
Original post by Blackstarr
Out of interest, how did you get ur job at Greggs?

Wow, i did not expect the wage at dominos to be so little.

I pretty much thought 18 yer old get at least £5 or above.

18 year olds do get more, that post was about the minimum wage for under 18s

working at dominoes probably won't be the best thing in the world, my guess is it's busy, fast paced and they're not too interested in keeping people happy... however I think it is a franchise so it will depend on your store owner/manager how they run the place... don't worry too much, pretty much everyone has a rubbish or okay first job, you will manage fine

as for juggling with school, it's not hard to find 8 hours to so to work in the week at all and if you feel you're struggling you just quit
Reply 5
What is it like, what do you do and how much do you get paid?

How do you get hired without knowing your role, exactly? Drivers actually get paid an alright amount, plus they get bonuses for extra deliveries. If you're working in the store it's probably minimum wage.
Reply 6
Original post by Luneth
How do you get hired without knowing your role, exactly? Drivers actually get paid an alright amount, plus they get bonuses for extra deliveries. If you're working in the store it's probably minimum wage.

I don't know my job role but I am assuming its what my friend is doing(customer service and picking up calls) as I got the job through her.

I thought minimum wage was £7.50?
Reply 7
Original post by doodle_333
18 year olds do get more, that post was about the minimum wage for under 18s

working at dominoes probably won't be the best thing in the world, my guess is it's busy, fast paced and they're not too interested in keeping people happy... however I think it is a franchise so it will depend on your store owner/manager how they run the place... don't worry too much, pretty much everyone has a rubbish or okay first job, you will manage fine

as for juggling with school, it's not hard to find 8 hours to so to work in the week at all and if you feel you're struggling you just quit

ok

Do you know the pay for 18 year olds?
Reply 8
I thought minimum wage was £7.50?

£7.20, but that's only if you're 25 or over. At 18 it's £5.55

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Reply 9
Original post by Luneth
£7.20, but that's only if you're 25 or over. At 18 it's £5.55

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

cool.

my friend get £5.30 so its not far off but seriously I was expecting it to be £6.50.

I just hope that I don't make silly mistakes.

Do you work there and know what the training is like?
Reply 10

A friend of mine is a delivery driver, couldn't tell you anything like that really. I'd assume they'd just guide you through your tasks, demonstrate and then get you to do it until you get the hang of it before letting you loose. You're preparing fast food and taking orders, not constructing the Eiffel Tower.
I'm 18 and work at Tesco, get £7.24 an hour which is great.
cool.

my friend get £5.30 so its not far off but seriously I was expecting it to be £6.50.

I just hope that I don't make silly mistakes.

Yeah minimum wage was £5.30 for 18 year olds before October 1st now its £5.55 for 18 year olds, increased by 25 pence.
Original post by WhoDaresWins
I'm 18 and work at Tesco, get £7.24 an hour which is great.

Have you ever worked anywhere else before?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ayaz789
Have you ever worked anywhere else before?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No this is my first job.
No this is my first job.

Ahh okay! Did you apply online?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ayaz789
Ahh okay! Did you apply online?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, but I don't work at the till, I'm in the stock control department.
Yep, but I don't work at the till, I'm in the stock control department.

Ahh okay & yeah i understand :biggrin: so when did you start then? & part time or full time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ayaz789
Ahh okay & yeah i understand :biggrin: so when did you start then? & part time or full time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Part time, only work about 10 hours a week, but I've done overtime.

Also I started about 6 weeks ago.
Part time, only work about 10 hours a week, but I've done overtime.

Also I started about 6 weeks ago.

Ahh okay great :biggrin: thanks
Send me the link , where you applied from & thanks once again:h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending