The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Sk80gse
I've selected Liverpool too but did select Manchester as second choice.

Awesome so 3 of us on here for Liverpool. Never many vacancies there but hopefully we get to interview and get through
Original post by hapeaman
My understanding was that they look at your first choice, and in the initial stages only compare you to other applicants for that choice- I.e. you'll be compared in competency with other applicants to Manchester. If you pass, and pass the interview, but then there aren't jobs for you in Manchester because everyone else took them, that's when they move onto your second/third choice, or offer you other locations.

I might be totally wrong but that's what I remember thinking when I read it!

Not too bad then. I imagine a lot of people would need to move/ want to move if they got the role, so it'll be a shame if they box people in based on their first choice. I live in the countryside, so if I want a well paying job that doesn't involve cows and sheep, I've got to move.
Reply 142
Did everyone use specific examples on the competencies? Found it hard to with the word count
Original post by LiamF95
Did everyone use specific examples on the competencies? Found it hard to with the word count

I did yes. This is the way I've always written competencies. I had mine already from previous recruitments though.
Reply 144
Original post by Sk80gse
I did yes. This is the way I've always written competencies. I had mine already from previous recruitments though.

Ahhh fair enough, found it hard cause of the job I do currently. It's a complex chain of events that lead to the "effective decision"... Think it'll bite me on the arse
Original post by LiamF95
Ahhh fair enough, found it hard cause of the job I do currently. It's a complex chain of events that lead to the "effective decision"... Think it'll bite me on the arse

It's quite an art writing competencies. You almost have to work backwards, and think of a scenario and then see which competency it relates to.
Original post by Ashhb
Yeah I hope so too
I really want this job
Are you a graduate? Internal or external?

I'm external, how about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hapeaman
Bristol :smile: not seen anyone else mention it yet though! I hope they actually have jobs going!

I also applied for Bristol 😊
Reply 148
Original post by Ashhb
Same
Mine is on hold too
Has anyone applied to London and got through to next stage then???

I applied for Croydon and got through to next stage.
Reply 149
Original post by LiamF95

I'm with you on this, it was so hard! I could easily use over 250 words just to describe the situation/context of the effective decisions I need to make, let alone how I actually go about making effective decisions. GAH!
Someone was asking no for the pack, is this what you wanted? http://manpower.org.uk/hmrc/042R_higher_officer_case_worker_candidate_information_pack.pdf
Reply 151
Original post by mimzie
I'm with you on this, it was so hard! I could easily use over 250 words just to describe the situation/context of the effective decisions I need to make, let alone how I actually go about making effective decisions. GAH!

Exactly! Hopefully they can work out that it would be difficult for me to explain with the limit based on what I've put.. Only time will tell
Original post by LiamF95

I've got a close friend in HMRC and he said that no one really understands what the competencies really are. Its a weird system. Even the police have just one form (a long one at that), and a fairly straight forward interview. How would you handle x situation etc.
Reply 153
Original post by THEJACKLE
I've got a close friend in HMRC and he said that no one really understands what the competencies really are. Its a weird system. Even the police have just one form (a long one at that), and a fairly straight forward interview. How would you handle x situation etc.

Yeah tbh I think competencies aren't a great way to judge candidates, I bet lots of good ones slip through the net
Original post by mimzie
I applied for Croydon and got through to next stage.

You've passed the competency stage?
Reply 155
Original post by itsmyname
You've passed the competency stage?

No, sorry I only meant the test bit. Havn't heard about competency stage yet
Reply 156
Original post by Melody99
I'm external, how about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah me too
What are the chances for getting a chance for an interview for those whose applications are on hold 🙄
Original post by LiamF95
Yeah tbh I think competencies aren't a great way to judge candidates, I bet lots of good ones slip through the net

The whole system seems to be designed to allow skilled and capable people to slip through. There is information on meeting competencies online, which appears to be about using a specific example and explaining the competency through that. But that wasn't what I understood they were after from the form/ the information pack. The concepts are so wide and with so little guidance that its quite possible to be capable and miss the point. For leadership, there are different aspects and different types and its perfectly possible to completely miss out because you wrote about the wrong type.

For example, in a Firefighting or Policing setting (and I imagine military), effective leadership is about giving clear and concise commands to the right people. Its all about telling people exactly what they need to do and expecting them to do it. There is no real back and forth (if there were, you'll have problems). Leadership in a business or university setting (say a society committee meeting) is completely different, as its all about maintaining a healthy group dynamic. That type of leadership is about knowing and respecting the group and gently keeping the group on task. The authoritarian style of leadership I mentioned above would lead to serious problems in that situation.

Its not even a hard task to design a question to get the right response. `In 250 words, write about an example of when you demonstrated good leadership in a group setting'. For communication, you could give a complex piece of documentation, say on VAT exemptions, and ask someone to come up with a version which a lay person could easily understand.

That's all without the issues that you can't save and go back to the application. If you happened to forget that you lived somewhere briefly in the last 5 years? Too bad, its submitted now, bad luck. What if you submitted the statements but then had a realisation on how you could of worded something better? Too bad, its too late. In a similar vein, what if you had the role profile and booklet opened in another tab, closed them after you filed the application, to only realise that you forgot to save them? Again, too bad, tough luck. Thats all without the issues of how the online tests were quite poor imo. The entire primary stage appears to be quite capable of excluding good and capable people, which is why I'm not going to be too worried (and I would counsel likewise for everyone else) if I failed to get through at this stage.
Reply 158
Original post by THEJACKLE
The whole system seems to be designed to allow skilled and capable people to slip through. There is information on meeting competencies online, which appears to be about using a specific example and explaining the competency through that. But that wasn't what I understood they were after from the form/ the information pack. The concepts are so wide and with so little guidance that its quite possible to be capable and miss the point. For leadership, there are different aspects and different types and its perfectly possible to completely miss out because you wrote about the wrong type.

For example, in a Firefighting or Policing setting (and I imagine military), effective leadership is about giving clear and concise commands to the right people. Its all about telling people exactly what they need to do and expecting them to do it. There is no real back and forth (if there were, you'll have problems). Leadership in a business or university setting (say a society committee meeting) is completely different, as its all about maintaining a healthy group dynamic. That type of leadership is about knowing and respecting the group and gently keeping the group on task. The authoritarian style of leadership I mentioned above would lead to serious problems in that situation.

Its not even a hard task to design a question to get the right response. `In 250 words, write about an example of when you demonstrated good leadership in a group setting'. For communication, you could give a complex piece of documentation, say on VAT exemptions, and ask someone to come up with a version which a lay person could easily understand.

That's all without the issues that you can't save and go back to the application. If you happened to forget that you lived somewhere briefly in the last 5 years? Too bad, its submitted now, bad luck. What if you submitted the statements but then had a realisation on how you could of worded something better? Too bad, its too late. In a similar vein, what if you had the role profile and booklet opened in another tab, closed them after you filed the application, to only realise that you forgot to save them? Again, too bad, tough luck. Thats all without the issues of how the online tests were quite poor imo. The entire primary stage appears to be quite capable of excluding good and capable people, which is why I'm not going to be too worried (and I would counsel likewise for everyone else) if I failed to get through at this stage.

That was a fantastic read, couldn't have been more right
Original post by LiamF95
That was a fantastic read, couldn't have been more right

You are very right. But I do think that once you get the hang of writing them, the competencies are thorough. It is easier once at interview stage because the nature of human interaction and the interview itself means if there are aspects of the competency you do not cover; the panel can ask further questions. I actually think they are easier at that point. I however have worked in the civil service previously and my husband still does so I suppose I do have a bit of a head start there in terms of knowing how the whole process works.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending