The Student Room Group

Maths question

guys f(x) is this graph but for 2a) f(x) +2 I translate fx 2 units up right? so it would cross through 2 and y would move upto 4 but what about the other side of the graph?
maths.png
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by samantham999
guys f(x) is this graph

???
Original post by timster32
???

Sorry, i added the question now
Reply 3
Move each side of the graph up by two units and you will also have to move the asymptote up to y=4
Reply 4
it all moves up by 2
maths.pngguys f(x) is this graph but for 2a) f(x) +2 I translate fx 2 units up right? so it would cross through 2 and y would move upto 4 but what about the other side of the graph?

The asymptotes would be y=4 and x=1 because the "+2" refers to the y-coordinate, so the curve would move up two. The right one would just be slightly higher up.
Original post by dididid
it all moves up by 2

so its just y=4 right? because I move it by 2 units each
so coordinates would be 0,2
The asymptotes would be y=4 and x=1 because the "+2" refers to the y-coordinate, so the curve would move up two. The right one would just be slightly higher up.

asymptotes are the points close to the graph right?

The asymptotes mean that the graph only tends towards a value but can't actually take that value. For example, the graph y=1/x has an asymptote of x=0, because the curve tends towards 0 but x can't actually be 0.
The asymptotes mean that the graph only tends towards a value but can't actually take that value. For example, the graph y=1/x has an asymptote of x=0, because the curve tends towards 0 but x can't actually be 0.

Understood! thank you :smile:

no asymptotes are points where the curve will never reach but get very close to , i.e. f (x) has an asymptote with y= 2 so this means f(x) will never be equal to 2.
and yes y=4 is correct as the translations are applied to the whole graph they will also apply to any asymptotes the graph has.
Original post by dididid
no asymptotes are points where the curve will never reach but get very close to , i.e. f (x) has an asymptote with y= 2 so this means f(x) will never be equal to 2.
and yes y=4 is correct as the translations are applied to the whole graph they will also apply to any asymptotes the graph has.

completely understood. thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest