The Student Room Group

C4 integration

Can anyone explain how to integrate sec^2(x)tanx ? thanks
Original post by coconut64

Note that the derivative of tanx is sec^2x, so you can apply the reverse chain rule

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think about what differentiates to give something that looks similar. :h:
You could recognize that sec^2x is the derivative of tan x or use a u substitution, let u = tanx

Reply 4
Original post by NotNotBatman
You could recognize that sec^2x is the derivative of tan x or use a u substitution, let u = tanx

I get how to obtain the sec^2x part but what about the tanx part? Also what about secx as this gives me secxtanx...

Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
Think about what differentiates to give something that looks similar. :h:

I know that secx gives secxtanx but this doesn't give me sec^2 x though...

Thanks
I get how to obtain the sec^2x part but what about the tanx part? Also what about secx as this gives me secxtanx...

Thanks

ddx(tan(x))=sec2(x)\frac{d}{dx}(tan(x)) =sec^2(x), so what does differentiating tan^2x result in?
(edited 7 years ago)

Thanks

it's been given above, but it was tanx that you should be particularly interested in. It's worth looking at a list of all of those ones (sec, tan cosex, cot.. and what they differentiate to if you're stuck)

Thanks

Original post by SeanFM
it's been given above, but it was tanx that you should be particularly interested in. It's worth looking at a list of all of those ones (sec, tan cosex, cot.. and what they differentiate to if you're stuck)

Using the fact that differentiating sec x gives sec x tan x is an alternative to using the derivative of tan x.

I've always liked integrals that give you more than one answer and they look completely different at first sight (like sin x cos x)

Quick Reply

Latest