The Student Room Group

Cardiff University Medicine Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Natalierm2707
no stats shouldnt clash, its just additional., applied or further maths GCSEs that do.

Thank God. Cheers.
Reply 121
Just because you did them in India doesnt make them overseas qualifications if they were official UK GCSEs just taken in india. it means for things like the IB, USA GPA etc.

if you took GCSEs which are UK qualifications but just in a different country they still will likely score them on the ranking system.

They aren't GCSEs but a national state board called SSC. Which is why I called it an overseas qualification :smile:
Original post by derxk
They aren't GCSEs but a national state board called SSC. Which is why I called it an overseas qualification :smile:

Ah ok that makes sense, it is just some schools in different countries around the world undertake GCSEs and just because you did them in a different country doesnt make them international, it is a common question.

your qualifications though will be international.
do you have access to the sliding scale information? according to a poster on this thread admissions have changed it so its the same scoring system as the gcses for the 3 best alevels including bio and chem.

I actually have no idea, I just know that last year and the year we applied a score of 23 would be topped up to 26. I definitely know that a score of 20-22 goes to 25 with acheived grades AAA.
Tbh I'm not too familiar with the changes the admissions team have made for 2017 entry. I recently found out from some friends of mine applying that they've changed to MMI but I don't know whether they've changed they way the score applicants pre interview.
(edited 7 years ago)
Are there any graduates applying for the 5 year course???
I have been in touch with admissions today to clarify a few of the issues that have arisen on here over the past few weeks, i have updated the OP for everyone to see but it is with regards to:

- achieved A2 level scoring system (i have put this with the GCSE scoring system for ease of use in the OP).
- welsh speaking/applicants from rural welsh areas and contextual considerations.
Do you know if there is a ukcat style speed quantitive reasoning maths style section in the MMI.
Reply 127
Hi, I really need some help.I started working on my application a bit late, that's why I was unable to contact them soonerI have achieved AL grades at AAABand GCSE's at 5A*1Athis is because my government restricts the number of GCSE's a student can take in public school (we also have to study two other local subjects that are taught simultaneously over the same period and also assessed during the same period as our GCSE's )I believe this gives me a great disadvantage when it comes to their scoring system?Also, one of those GCSE's is IGCSE English as a second language at A* (not count in oral)Their website says that they'll only accept it if it is count in oral, so I essentially have only 5 GCSE'sTheir website asks to mail their med admissions regarding the issue, I have done so, but only got an automated reply, If any one has any general advice or could help me out, I'd really appreciate itThanks
Reply 128
I have been in touch with admissions today to clarify a few of the issues that have arisen on here over the past few weeks, i have updated the OP for everyone to see but it is with regards to:

- achieved A2 level scoring system (i have put this with the GCSE scoring system for ease of use in the OP).
- welsh speaking/applicants from rural welsh areas and contextual considerations.

Hi,I rang the admissions team today and they said that an achieved A-level "A" grade would be an addition 1 point, not 2 as has been previously suggested. Just wondering whether it has change since then or is it still the scoring as you suggested.Thanks
Well I got told in writing a week ago that it was 2 points for an A and 3 for an A*. I have applied already based on that information. So if I get rejected based on points I will complain big time.
Original post by Mattoh
Hi,I rang the admissions team today and they said that an achieved A-level "A" grade would be an addition 1 point, not 2 as has been previously suggested. Just wondering whether it has change since then or is it still the scoring as you suggested.Thanks

I called them today as well and they said its the same system as the GCSE system so 3 points for A* and 2 points for A. She asked me my GCSE score which is 21 and my achieved A Level grades,AAA, and she said your score would be 27
Original post by futuremedic19
Hi your GCSEs (I presume 5/6 A*s rest A's) and ukcat are great but Cardiff base a lot of their selection on GCSEs so those who make to interview tend to have a GCSE points score of 25+.

However I know that Cardiff DO consider your background and if you are from a deprived area (it's based on postcode) then they can give you contextual point(s) and maybe look at your application slightly differently than someone who is from an affluent background. It's not a significant difference though.

I definitely know they do it for people who are from a less affluent area in Wales but if your from England then I'm not 100% sure.

Also please email the med admissions and see if you would qualify for any contextual flags/points.

Did you manage to get a reply from the uni?
Original post by Mattoh

No its A* is 3 points, A is 2.
Original post by nu7
Did you manage to get a reply from the uni?

They told me it works for contextual data if your based in less affluent areas of wales (so went to a school which underperformed and you over performed compared to your schools average, live in a deprived area where the uptake of medicine and oppurtunities for work experience are much lower etc.)

You will have to ask them personally about england, i would assume it works for both.
They told me it works for contextual data if your based in less affluent areas of wales (so went to a school which underperformed and you over performed compared to your schools average, live in a deprived area where the uptake of medicine and oppurtunities for work experience are much lower etc.)

You will have to ask them personally about england, i would assume it works for both.

how exactly will this effect an application considering a lot about getting an interview at cardiff depends on the gcse cut off
I'm pretty sure everyone with achieved A-levels will be applying here then
Original post by noctisff
I'm pretty sure everyone with achieved A-levels will be applying here then

Not necessarily, If you only got AAA at A2 (that gives you 6 points), and say 5A*, 4A at GCSE, this would only give you 25/27 and so would be below previous cut offs...
Original post by nu7
how exactly will this effect an application considering a lot about getting an interview at cardiff depends on the gcse cut off

it will impact you as in they will give your application a certain number of points based on contextual factors.
Not necessarily, If you only got AAA at A2 (that gives you 6 points), and say 5A*, 4A at GCSE, this would only give you 25/27 and so would be below previous cut offs...

Wouldn't that give you 27/27?
Original post by noctisff
Wouldn't that give you 27/27?

Apologies I just copied and pasted that from an email I sent not realising I got the wrong email... this is why you shouldnt trust me this late at night after a long day of placement.

Sorry for the confusion,
obviously the minimum you can get with Alevels is 6 points or else you dont meet the minimum requirements of AAA. so say someone has AAA.
they would then need a further 21 points to get 27/27 or 20 points to get 26/27 (previous few years cut off).
so a score of AAA + 3A* 6A = 27/27.
and a score of AAA +2A* 7A = 26/27.

there are reasons why people with achieved A2 grades wouldnt meet the cut off score (due to poor GCSE grades), but as you rightly pointed out it is so much easier to hit max score as a gap year applicant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending