The Student Room Group

Advice for personal statement

OK, i have just worked out after hours of trying to get my number of lines down, if, on the UCAS form there is only a little bit of writing on one line, say 2-4 words, IT DOES NOT COUNT AS A LINE!!!! thank me later
Reply 1
Original post by ineedA
OK, i have just worked out after hours of trying to get my number of lines down, if, on the UCAS form there is only a little bit of writing on one line, say 2-4 words, IT DOES NOT COUNT AS A LINE!!!! thank me later

Yes, it does count as a line.

You're probably only finding this because you're copying between Word and Ucas, and the settings you're using don't match up exactly
Reply 2
Original post by Juno

You're probably only finding this because you're copying between Word and Ucas, and the settings you're using don't match up exactly

true, i am doing that, but the theory is still valid. i'll try give an example

say the following is a line of your personal statement

;asdkfjhsdakjhflsakjhadflkjasdhlksdjhsalkdjsadfkljhsadf
radiator enthrall

radiator enthrall, for me anyway, wouldn't/doesn't count as a line
How many words is the personal statement meant to be?

I am a bit confused
Reply 4
Original post by Blackstarr
How many words is the personal statement meant to be?

I am a bit confused

It's done one characters/ lines

min 1000 characters , max 4000

max lines 47
Reply 5
Original post by Juno

if i want to avoid this should i type it in straight?
Reply 6
Original post by ineedA
true, i am doing that, but the theory is still valid. i'll try give an example

say the following is a line of your personal statement

;asdkfjhsdakjhflsakjhadflkjasdhlksdjhsalkdjsadfkljhsadf
radiator enthrall

radiator enthrall, for me anyway, wouldn't/doesn't count as a line

The theory only works because of the exact settings you are using. If you were using a different font, font size, or paper margin it wouldn't work.

It's the same as getting excited because your teacher asked you to write a 2 page essay, so you wrote it in really big letters.
Reply 7
Original post by Juno
The theory only works because of the exact settings you are using. If you were using a different font, font size, or paper margin it wouldn't work.

It's the same as getting excited because your teacher asked you to write a 2 page essay, so you wrote it in really big letters.

ahahahahah okay okay, any idea which settings i can use to replicate the UCAS form?
Original post by ineedA
ahahahahah okay okay, any idea which settings i can use to replicate the UCAS form?

Just aim for around 3,200-3,400 characters and then for your final edits copy and paste it regularly into UCAS Apply and use the preview option.

Fiddling with your settings on word isn't that helpful - even if you get it spot on you can end up with differences because the only way to check what UCAS counts is to paste it into UCAS apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending