The Student Room Group

The ELAT?

Hi, I'm applying to study English at Oxford, and have to take the ELAT this November, but I'm kind of confused as to how I should approach the test since the wording is really vague. I completed a practice answer using a past paper, and I was wondering if anyone who has taken the ELAT/ knows literally anything about it would be willing to read over it and give me some pointers if I typed it up? I'd really appreciate it.
Original post by _katie_h_
Hi, I'm applying to study English at Oxford, and have to take the ELAT this November, but I'm kind of confused as to how I should approach the test since the wording is really vague. I completed a practice answer using a past paper, and I was wondering if anyone who has taken the ELAT/ knows literally anything about it would be willing to read over it and give me some pointers if I typed it up? I'd really appreciate it.

Hey, I'm applying for English at Oxford this year too, so I won't be much help, but just thought I'd say that I feel you!
So far I've planned two past papers under timed conditions (I gave myself half an hour.)
I'm aiming to actually write a sample paper and then ask one of my school teachers to mark it next week...
Sorry I'm not any help but I just thought I'd reply to let you know you're not alone!! Also, this might just be me trying to justify my own laziness, but I think the exam is designed not to be over-prepared for - it's supposed to test your abilities at approaching unseen texts and writing under timed conditions, which I'm assuming you can already do pretty well. (That's not to say I'm not *****ing it....)
What college are you applying for?
Reply 2
Original post by Rmexplorer
Hey, I'm applying for English at Oxford this year too, so I won't be much help, but just thought I'd say that I feel you!
So far I've planned two past papers under timed conditions (I gave myself half an hour.)
I'm aiming to actually write a sample paper and then ask one of my school teachers to mark it next week...
Sorry I'm not any help but I just thought I'd reply to let you know you're not alone!! Also, this might just be me trying to justify my own laziness, but I think the exam is designed not to be over-prepared for - it's supposed to test your abilities at approaching unseen texts and writing under timed conditions, which I'm assuming you can already do pretty well. (That's not to say I'm not *****ing it....)
What college are you applying for?

Hi, it's good to know I'm not alone in freaking out about the elat haha, I thought our timed conditions were an hour and a half though? I should probably ask one of my teachers to look through mine I'm just worried I've approached the whole essay wrong.
Yeah I think it's certainly true that you can't really prepare for unseen texts like you would a set text exam, but I want to be more familiar with the format because I've never really done many vague essay questions before- luckily.
I'm applying to new college, what about you?
Original post by _katie_h_
Hi, it's good to know I'm not alone in freaking out about the elat haha, I thought our timed conditions were an hour and a half though? I should probably ask one of my teachers to look through mine I'm just worried I've approached the whole essay wrong.
Yeah I think it's certainly true that you can't really prepare for unseen texts like you would a set text exam, but I want to be more familiar with the format because I've never really done many vague essay questions before- luckily.
I'm applying to new college, what about you?

Yeah it is an hour and a half, but I didn't actually do the whole paper, I just planned it, so I gave myself less time.
I'm applying to worcester :smile: maybe see you at interview (if neither of us completely mess up the ELAT!)
Reply 4
Original post by Rmexplorer
Yeah it is an hour and a half, but I didn't actually do the whole paper, I just planned it, so I gave myself less time.
I'm applying to worcester :smile: maybe see you at interview (if neither of us completely mess up the ELAT!)

Oh I see, I might try planning all of the papers to work on planning faster which I tend to struggle with. Maybe, I hope it goes well for both of us!

Quick Reply

Latest