The Student Room Group

jamestg's journey to Durham

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamestg
Hahaha thank you!!

I'm going to work so hard for the entrance exam so I can get an interview! Then I'll obviously work even harder for the interview :smile:

Hope your AS subjects are going well so far! :biggrin:

No problem :biggrin:. Just work hard and enjoy xD. I need to start lol, thanks, my AS subjects are going alright I suppose. They would be going bad but with Maths I'm just too fast so it all goes good lol. I'm yet to revise 1 hour afterschool lol can't even do that yet and it's been like 4 weeks.
Original post by jamestg
Predicted an A* for politics :-)

Also have been entered for the ECAA (Cambridge economics) entrance exam next month, eeeek! I'll start prepping tonight.

Congratulations ! So you have all your predicted grades now ?
Reply 82
Original post by Mumofson
Congratulations ! So you have all your predicted grades now ?

Thank you!

I pretty much do yes! However my maths hasn't been confirmed (although they are 90% sure it's going to be an A*) and I want to make doubly sure they have edited the predictions on my reference template at school before I apply!

If my sixth form bothers to email me back, I'll be applying tomorrow. However, been a pessimist at the moment, I doubt it will happen until Monday or Tuesday next week...
Reply 83
Original post by Chittesh14
No problem :biggrin:. Just work hard and enjoy xD. I need to start lol, thanks, my AS subjects are going alright I suppose. They would be going bad but with Maths I'm just too fast so it all goes good lol. I'm yet to revise 1 hour afterschool lol can't even do that yet and it's been like 4 weeks.

Try not to think of work after school as revision. Just try and do something that will consolidate what you learn in lessons! Whether that's by watching a youtube video, completing a past paper or making concise notes. It'll all help!
Original post by jamestg
Try not to think of work after school as revision. Just try and do something that will consolidate what you learn in lessons! Whether that's by watching a youtube video, completing a past paper or making concise notes. It'll all help!

Lol, if I ever did work in lessons I would never really have to revise at home. Economics exam tomorrow, definitely going to be tough haven't really prepared at all lol. Oh well... Probably some easy exam lolz hopefully. It's all easy for me to say I'll watch a video, make notes but doing it is hard. If I ever did any of those, I'd be revising its the same thing lol but I don't. You need a mindset and determination, neither of which I have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Your man's predicted A*A*A :biggrin:
Original post by jamestg
Your man's predicted A*A*A :biggrin:

Congrats and best of luck on your Cambirdge application! You should change your title to "jamestg's journey to A*A*A"
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by Trapz99
Congrats and best of luck on your Cambirdge application! You should change your title to "jamestg's journey to A*A*A"

Thank you!! Good luck to you too :biggrin:

I'll only change it to A*A*A if I get an offer from Cambridge, but I highly doubt I will :biggrin:

I can dream...
Original post by jamestg
Thank you!! Good luck to you too :biggrin:

I'll only change it to A*A*A if I get an offer from Cambridge, but I highly doubt I will :biggrin:

I can dream...

I think you have a fair shot at Cambridge with those predictions. And of course all the other top unis!
Reply 89
Original post by Trapz99
I think you have a fair shot at Cambridge with those predictions. And of course all the other top unis!

If I don't get an offer, I won't be disappointed because it's what both myself and my parents are expecting. But I think if I'm rejected pre-interview, I'd be distraught.
Original post by jamestg
If I don't get an offer, I won't be disappointed because it's what both myself and my parents are expecting. But I think if I'm rejected pre-interview, I'd be distraught.

It's better with raw marks now lol. Before, this is for maths btw, it was like if u don't average at least 90 UMS u don't get an interview unless you have advantages or extenuating circumstances lol. Now with raw marks its a real chance for those linear subjects, come on James!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamestg

Same here. I would seriously be happy with getting an interview, having a night away at one of the colleges and having the experience of such a high stress environment to prepare me for the future. I'd be disappointed if I didn't get an interview.
Reply 92
Original post by Chittesh14
It's better with raw marks now lol. Before, this is for maths btw, it was like if u don't average at least 90 UMS u don't get an interview unless you have advantages or extenuating circumstances lol. Now with raw marks its a real chance for those linear subjects, come on James!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

AFAIK they interview anyone with the potential to meet their requirements. So A*A*A in the case for Econ and a demonstrated interest in the subject. HOWEVER with the entrance exams now in place, this could change. They will obviously still look at the application holistically, so there won't be a quota like all but the bottom 25% candidates to be interviewed. But no one knows how much weighting it has. I still think that they will aim to interview more than Oxford.
Original post by jamestg
AFAIK they interview anyone with the potential to meet their requirements. So A*A*A in the case for Econ and a demonstrated interest in the subject. HOWEVER with the entrance exams now in place, this could change. They will obviously still look at the application holistically, so there won't be a quota like all but the bottom 25% candidates to be interviewed. But no one knows how much weighting it has. I still think that they will aim to interview more than Oxford.

I don't know about the Oxford part, but it seems like you've got a chance for an interview then and it'll be great to go past the interview stages xD. Let's just hope you get an offer :O.
Reply 94
C4 is fun!

History is horrific, I've spent all day trying to do an essay and have achieved nothing :frown:(((((((
Original post by jamestg
C4 is fun!

History is horrific, I've spent all day trying to do an essay and have achieved nothing :frown:(((((((

You're pacing it lol nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 17.54.08BST.png

Cue months of refreshing track!
Reply 97
Acknowledgment from Cambridge and have got my login to complete the SAQ!
Reply 98
Also got an acknowledgment from Bath! Hooray for progress!
Original post by jamestg
Also got an acknowledgment from Bath! Hooray for progress!

What do you mean by acknowledgement, does that mean they've seen it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest