The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Russia has a potentially superior airforce to the US? Are their old migs and sus still working? Still rusting in a scrapyard?
It's the type of statement that can turn out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. People who predict conflict often go looking for it.
Reply 3
It is not the first civil defence exercise, they do it annually.
The Daily Star? Well then it must be true.
Original post by hezzlington
Russia has a potentially superior airforce to the US? Are their old migs and sus still working? Still rusting in a scrapyard?

Trust me those 'old' migs and su's are kicking isis anys in syria, unlike the american FXX and the f35 is a flop
Original post by agrew
It is not the first civil defence exercise, they do it annually.

Yes but we need to fill up the news headlines with anti russian propaganda as they've decided to go to war with IS without the wests 'permission'
Original post by newusername96
Trust me those 'old' migs and su's are kicking isis anys in syria, unlike the american FXX and the f35 is a flop

I could probably bomb syria in a hot air balloon.

Most programs overrun and exceed projected costs. Who knows, maybe the F35 is the multirole platform we need...
Reply 8
If America keeps attacking Russia's allies it will happen, although I'm sure Isis are happy America decided to provide them air cover
Original post by hezzlington
I could probably bomb syria in a hot air balloon.

Most programs overrun and exceed projected costs. Who knows, maybe the F35 is the multirole platform we need...

Not anymore otherwise putins s300 and s400 missiles will bite you in the anus
Original post by joecphillips
If America keeps attacking Russia's allies it will happen, although I'm sure Isis are happy America decided to provide them air cover

America bombed a syrian army convoy who were on there way to fight ISIS a couple of weeks ago killing 83 syrian soldiers, apparently it was 'accidental', but in reality it only shows the US's true intentions. Now russia has deployed s300 and s400 missile defense systems to protect themselves and syrian personnal from any future 'accidents'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Orbital Rising
The Daily Star? Well then it must be true.

I am going to institute a new law on TSR. We can call it "General Lee's Law" after Godwin.

The first person to criticise the source of a quotation, rather than comment on the substantive point made in said quotation loses the debate.

It is utterly irrelevant that the link is to the Daily Star, Dufus. :rolleyes:
Original post by generallee
I am going to institute a new law on TSR. We can call it "General Lee's Law" after Godwin.

The first person to criticise the source of a quotation, rather than comment on the substantive point made in said quotation loses the debate.

It is utterly irrelevant that the link is to the Daily Star, Dufus. :rolleyes:

The source is fundamentally important to the authenticity of the information. And the Daily Star is trash. ****ing hell this is life skills 101. Read a book.
Deus vult, call the Pope.

Original post by newusername96

Linda's too

World War 3 is almost virtually impossible.

For starters, it would be so outlandishly expensive that no nation could afford to sustain such a conflict that would have so many participating countries that it would either systematically cripple all their economies or result in the destruction of most countries involved. Moreover, there is virtually no purpose to a World War 3. Russia doesn't and couldn't gain new territory or resources, even if the USA and EU forces surrendered, because their resources would either be exhausted or destroyed. This would work both ways.

Secondly, this isn't a war anybody would be willing to fight. Remember that soldiers have free will. I doubt neither Russian or US/EU forces would want to fight in a world-ending war. This is part of why the Cold War was fought by proxy. Russia's politicians would also be very reluctant to approve such a war anyway.

Lastly, the war would be nearly impossible to fight. The US and Russia are massive, massive countries. It would be a logistical nightmare for either side to get boots and hardware on-ground in either country. The US and Russia have very diverse climates with huge mountain ranges and freezing temperatures. Plus, because of the US laser defence system, simply firing ICBMs at the US wouldn't work.

All the US and Russia will ever have is a dick-measuring contest between themselves. They won't go to war.
Original post by Orbital Rising
The source is fundamentally important to the authenticity of the information. And the Daily Star is trash. ****ing hell this is life skills 101. Read a book.

The fact that this General uttered the statement attributed to him is either true or false.

What evidence do you have that this quotation is in fact false? That the Daily Star made it all up, or reported it in error?

That would be a meaningful contribution, but of course, you can't provide it.

In fact, a quick google search would have shown you dozens of competing news sources all quoting the exact same words.
Original post by generallee
The fact that this General uttered the statement attributed to him is either true or false.

What evidence do you have that this quotation is in fact false? That the Daily Star made it all up, or reported it in error?

That would be a meaningful contribution, but of course, you can't provide it.

In fact, a quick google search would have shown you dozens of competing news sources all quoting the exact same words.

A general thinks there's going to be a war. That's not news: they're paid to prepare for possible conflict. Even if there was evidence that Russia and China are becoming best buddies-which there isn't- there is a little thing called Mutually Assured Destruction which is enough of a deterrence, not to mention the economic and logistical problems. The superpowers are expected to perform deals and standard military tests to validate their positions because " the best defence is a good offense". It doesn't mean they want WW3.

Not to mention 20 megaton weapons, AI super soldiers, terminator tanks. Feel free to lap up all the sensationalist propaganda you warmonger.
(edited 7 years ago)
The spin about Russia is discgraceful, irresponsible, all part of the 'constant enemy' depicted in Orwell's writings. Tbh I hope Trump becomes president because Hillary is a bigger threat in this regard, whereas Trump is looking like more of an isolationist who would build a decent relationship with Putin. Too bad people are only interested in th froth, the superficiality of whether he is a social liberal(not to mention economic one) rather than his policy of taking American military bases out of Europe, or making relations with Putin cordial. It's these clowns right now who are more damaging to our security than Trump. Believe this.
A general agitating for more money to be spent on defence.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending