The Student Room Group

Graduate entry medicine - healthcare professional and UKCAT score

Hi all,

I've been looking through some threads and seen similar questions and responses and have a rough idea - just wondered if anyone could give me any extra pointers in light of my UKCAT score.

I scored on average 616 (only managed a couple of hours of revision :frown: )

VR 590
QR 670
AR 590
SJ Band 2

I'm currently working as a registered paramedic with good experience within different areas of medicine and feel my personal statement should be fairly good.

I have 1st class honours from my paramedic science degree, but my school grades weren't as great - 8As and 3Bs for GCSE, BBC (B in biology, no other science)

I know my UKCAT/school grades aren't particularly good so I guess I wouldn't stand a chance with undergraduate courses, so was just wondering if anyone had any advice on which unis would be best? (or whether I probably don't stand a chance for GEM this year and focus on it next year with GAMSAT/BMAT as well)

I had planned on kings college, newcastle, birmingham. I figure Warwick is probably out the question?

Thank you in advance! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm afraid with that UKCAT Newcastle, Kings and Warwick GEM are out of the question. Also, I think Birmingham set a minimum A level grade requirement for graduates :? However, maybe have a look on their website or ring them?

Will you be sitting the BMAT? Have you sat the GAMSAT? Would you be willing to consider 5 yr courses? (Maybe Keele?)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by NafNaf39
I'm afraid with that UKCAT Newcastle, Kings and Warwick GEM are out of the question. Also, I think Birmingham set a minimum A level grade requirement for graduates :? However, maybe have a look on their website or ring them?

Will you be sitting the BMAT? Have you sat the GAMSAT? Would you be willing to consider 5 yr courses? (Maybe Keele?)

Thanks for the reply!

I had just edited my original post - I haven't sat GAMSAT/BMAT but would next year (I had presumed it was too late to sit those for 2017 entry now)

Birmingham accepted 2:1 or above and use a levels to discriminate between applicants, saying BBB is usually needed but that it can change - so I'm not at a great position there.

Yes, I would certainly be wiling to do the 5 year course as well but I didn't think I would get into any consider my GCSEs/A levels. Are you aware of any that I could potentially get into?

Thank you!
Original post by DS737
Thanks for the reply!

I had just edited my original post - I haven't sat GAMSAT/BMAT but would next year (I had presumed it was too late to sit those for 2017 entry now)

Birmingham accepted 2:1 or above and use a levels to discriminate between applicants, saying BBB is usually needed but that it can change - so I'm not at a great position there.

Yes, I would certainly be wiling to do the 5 year course as well but I didn't think I would get into any consider my GCSEs/A levels. Are you aware of any that I could potentially get into?

Thank you!

Just a heads up - BMAT final registration date is 15th October but you'll have to pay a late fee. Also consider sitting the March GAMSAT if you can.

I think last year Birmingham set an A level threshold of ABB. Its just your BBC and the fact that you don't have Chemistry which is a bit :/

Your GCSEs are fine and I've had a look at Keele's website and they want BBB to include Chemistry, so DON'T apply there.

I'm not sure what other unis you can go for. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can reply to your thread.

All the best!
Original post by DS737
Thanks for the reply!

Thank you!

Have you looked at the grade requirements for five year courses? A lot of them don't require AAA for graduates, going off the degree instead. But you'll have to do your homework and have a look at the various requirements.

The bigger issue though, is can you afford the five year course? Graduates don't get any tuition fee help for the first four years, so you're going to need at least £36k to pay for it.
Reply 5
Thanks both for your replies.

Yeah, note to younger self - pick up chemistry and try harder rather than thinking 'I'll probably get good enough grades to get into *this* uni course'.. Shame! :frown:

Hmm, I don't know, I'll have a think about the fees, but thanks for highlighting you can get onto undergrad courses with a degree, I wasn't aware. I will do some homework over the weekend and think about BMAT too.

This year was all a bit last minute and I had figured it would be next year I need to focus on but thought it was worth it just in case.

Thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest