The Student Room Group

Homeopathy

Scroll to see replies

In fact, the serial dilution is so great in something like a Bach flower remedy that it is unlikely that a single molecule of the 'active' compound exists in the final aliquot.
Original post by Mvine001
Homeopathy has worked for me. It's very well diluted poison mixed with herbs. You have your opinions, and I have mine. In my opinion, it works.

Fortunately science doesn't care about opinion. You're more than welcome to believe whatever you like, but that doesn't change the fact that there is absolutely zero rational basis for homeopathy.
Who's to say that scientists haven't been investigating homeopathy? I suppose you think that just because you don't think homeopathy works, nobody else should think different. I go against your logic if you do! >:frown:
Who's to say that scientists haven't been investigating homeopathy?

I literally linked you to two different studies performed in the last several years alone...
(edited 7 years ago)
Explain, Mr Smarty-pants.
Explain, Mr Smarty-pants.

Mature.

I linked you to two of the more extensive, higher profile studies published within the last decade (one as recently as last year) that conclusively found "homeopathic remedies perform no better than placebos, and that the principles on which homeopathy is based are "scientifically implausible"".
It's very well diluted poison mixed with herbs.

Diluted? Isn't it water memory that works the magic?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by unprinted
The basic answer is that it has some powerful friends - it's one of the things Prince Charles is a fan of and at least one Tory minister.

Noticed a few Tories on here that will normally attempt to defend it, they generally seem quite rational otherwise, very odd.
Original post by dingleberry jam
Diluted? Isn't it water memory that works the magic?

Not really.
hundreds of years of advancement of medical science and there's still people who think 'water memory' exists...
Who's to say that scientists haven't been investigating homeopathy?

Scientists have carried out countless investigations into homeopathy. There is no evidence that it is any more effective than a placebo.
I'm fighting a battle I'll never win. Is there anybody who trusts homeopathy, even if it's a little bit?
I'm fighting a battle I'll never win.

Maybe time to concede defeat then.
I'm fighting a battle I'll never win. Is there anybody who trusts homeopathy, even if it's a little bit?

We all understand there is such a thing as the placebo effect, which can be beneficial, and the cause of which we don't understand. Homeopathy itself can do no better than that, so you might as well dispense sugar pills, coloured water or pray. Its practitioners' pseudo-scientific claims have no credibility and are pure charlatanism.
I'm fighting a battle I'll never win.

Maybe that's a sign of something.

Seriously, this isn't just angsty "look how clever I am on the internet" stuff. Homeopathy is literally on the same scale of discredited, conspiracy theory grade stuff as flat earth theory, creationism, and holocaust denial. It's virtually universally rejected by relevant qualified scientists, built on principles that lie in direct contradiction to established scientific principles, and defended by arguments of mysticism or establishment coverups. If anything homeopathy is worse- it's all well and good people treating their sniffles with what is essentially herbal squash, but people denying themselves or (worse) people dependent on them effective medical treatment in the case of more severe conditions is a very dangerous thing.

You don't even need to make scientific arguments to reinforce this point, it's possibly even easier to illustrate from a financial standpoint. Think about it- if the pharmaceutical industry could create effective medications with dosages that are literally millions of times smaller than what they currently use, making them ludicrously more profitable, they would all be doing it. If there's one thing a multibillion dollar industry likes, it's making more billions.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's very well diluted poison mixed with herbs.

This is what natural remies and herbs can do to you: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37572771
Homeopathy has worked for me. It's very well diluted poison mixed with herbs. You have your opinions, and I have mine. In my opinion, it works.

personal opinions and proven science are a little different

Posted from TSR Mobile

It has been proven it doesn't work- it's not a matter of trusting homeopathy, YOU can trust it but it still doesn't work

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have had homeopathy done for 15 years. It has stopped my asthma, flu, it's sorted out my emotions about things and more. This is more than proof. It's evidence. I know what I'm talking about. Don't try and say that I'm making this up, because I'm not.

Flus come and go. It may not be the pills not doing anything but just your own natural immume system.

Your emotions are sorted due to the placaebo effect.

Stopped asthma? Asthma sometimes becomes dormant after a while in a lot of people.

It's not evidence. Sorry. :/
Original post by the bear
it has these advantages:

i) no side-effects

ii) people cannot develop resistance to it

iii) the ingredients are inexpensive *

The ingredients are inexpensive because its ****ing water.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending