The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

Westminster English Courses

Is anyone doing/has anyone done the English Language, Linguistics, and/or the English Lit BA at Westminster? Would you recommend it? Are lecturers and tutors helpful, enthusiastic? Is it a nice place to be?
Thanks guys :smile:
Original post by SabbyCat
Is anyone doing/has anyone done the English Language, Linguistics, and/or the English Lit BA at Westminster? Would you recommend it? Are lecturers and tutors helpful, enthusiastic? Is it a nice place to be?

Hi

It's great to hear you're considering studying English at Westminster. If you can attend an Open Day you'll be able to experience the Campus, meet current students and talk with Course Tutors about course content and study options. The next dates are Saturday 8 October and Wednesday 9 November and you can book your place here.

You may like to view our YouTube video on student life at Regent Campus where English is taught.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team :smile:
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Hey.

In my third year here, doing Linguistics w/ Creative Writing so can't speak about the English side of things (language or literature) but I'm really enjoying my course. Not sure to what extent module options have changed since I started (if at all) but there's a pretty good selection at level 5 & 6. Always found lexturers to be super helpful and willing to give you time and advice if you seek them out. Vibe is pretty laid back and casual - not pretentious but not too 'scholarly' so depends what you're after. Hope that helps!
Hello SabbyCat,

Good to hear that you are considering Westminster as an option to do your English degree. :cracker:

My name is Elisa and I have recently graduated from Westminster after having completed a BA in English language and literature and I can only speak highly of this programme.

The first thing that I loved about Westminster (unlike some other unis I cheked before applying) is that you can actually choose what areas of a more general English degree you want to focus on. In my case, I knew I wanted to focus on language and literature (I wasn't very fond of linguistics back in the day...), but some of my colleagues followed other programmes ranging from single English literature to combinations such as English lit and history, English lit and creative writing, linguistics and literature, linguistics and creative writing...

On top of this (which already gives you a lot of options), Westminster will allow you to choose one module outside of your degree choices - providing they haven´t changed anything since last year, that is! When you choose your modules out of the list the Department gives you (usually 6 per year if I´m not wrong), there will be a thing called Westminster Elective whereby you will be allowed to take one 15 credits module out of ALL the modules the university has on offer: a friend of mine doing English lit and creative writing decided to take an Architecture module in her final year. I personally didn´t choose this option just because I felt the Department offered many interesting modules already which I didn´t want to miss out on! :smartass:

Lecturers are amazing, not only at a humane level but also academically speaking, which is also something to be taken into consideration. Every time I needed support or guidance, I only had to ask either the seminar or module leaders and they'd willingly and kindly help me with whatever it was that was causing me trouble - it goes without saying that if you need support in areas outside of your academic performance, Westminster can also assist with that: tutors, psychologists, finance advisers, etc :console:

I would like to give you two examples of how sweet and committed lecturers can be at Westminster. specially when you show interest in your studies: during the Christmas break of my 2nd year, i.e. nearly two years ago, a teacher offered herself to help me to clarify a few concepts for an essay question via Skype. This past summer, and again during vacation period, my former dissertation supervisor also offered himself to help me with an application, for which I had to bother him while he was abroad enjoying the sun. What I am trying to convey here is that, even though this is obviously beyond their call of duty and I wouldn´t expect all the lecturers to do the same thing, if you show the right attitude and commitment towards your studies, they are very likely to show, in turn, the same commitment to you, and believe me when I say that this is by far what I found most incredible and encouraging about Westminster (having been previously in a different university where teachers/lecturers were everything BUT helpful!). Through my experience, I can assure you that they want us to learn, thrive and develop new skills, but always in a very humane, kind way. I personally have decided to pursue higher education thanks to their guidance and encouragement, as well as to their inspiration, and I will be forever grateful to their relentless faith in us. :heart:

As mentioned before, it is also crucial to note that the English Department at Westminster is a pretty lively one, with a lot of research being done, published and awarded. A few links below for you to see:

https://www.westminster.ac.uk/english-language-and-linguistics/publications

https://www.westminster.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/2015/english-language-academics-receive-major-research-funding

https://www.westminster.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/2016/shakespeare-s-storms-by-westminster-lecturer-gwilym-jones-wins-2016-shakespeare-s-globe-book-award

All in all, I'm sure you can gather from the above that I absolutely loved my time at Westminster and it has been, without a doubt, the best three years of my life! Not only have I learnt a great deal about English language and literature, I have also discovered I now love linguistics (which is the MPhil I'm doing at the moment!), and this would've never happened hadn't I had such amazing teachers who always pointed me in the right direction. I have also made life-long friends (who loved Westminster too!) and have developed as a person and learnt a lot about myself. But perhaps what I thank Westminster most for is for giving me a second chance with my university studies and helping me/guiding me to build the confidence in myself back up again. I now stand as a very proud UoW alumni at Cambridge spreading the wonders of my alma mater! :h:

Sorry for the very long reply, but I do hope this helps you make up your mind a bit. In case all the above does not suffice: I would do the whole 3 years again if I could, and also can I point out that this is not only me... I know many of my colleagues feel the same way... sad not be at our Regents campus any more :frown:Oh well, I do hope future generations (you included, hopefully!) of students enjoy Westminster as much as we did, and continue benefiting from the varied array of resources (human, physic and academic) and joining this fun and huge family we all are. :bumps::clap2:

If you have any other questions, you know where to find me! :call2:

Best of luck,

Elisa Ramírez

Reply 4
Wow, thank you so so much! All really useful info and must have taken you ages to write! This has really helped me decide on Westminster as a choice. One thing I'm still concerned about, though, is the expensiveness of London living- are there any budget food shops like Aldi/ASDA/Lidl etc anywhere nearby?

Also, congratulations on getting into Cambridge, that's amazing. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by welldonevicky
Hey.

In my third year here, doing Linguistics w/ Creative Writing so can't speak about the English side of things (language or literature) but I'm really enjoying my course. Not sure to what extent module options have changed since I started (if at all) but there's a pretty good selection at level 5 & 6. Always found lexturers to be super helpful and willing to give you time and advice if you seek them out. Vibe is pretty laid back and casual - not pretentious but not too 'scholarly' so depends what you're after. Hope that helps!

Thank you so much, that was really helpful! :smile: good luck for the rest of your course.
Reply 6
Original post by University of Westminster
Hi

It's great to hear you're considering studying English at Westminster. If you can attend an Open Day you'll be able to experience the Campus, meet current students and talk with Course Tutors about course content and study options. The next dates are Saturday 8 October and Wednesday 9 November and you can book your place here.

You may like to view our YouTube video on student life at Regent Campus where English is taught.

Best wishes

Kim

Thank you very much for this useful information. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get to an open day yet but am planning to come to one soon.
Wow, thank you so so much! All really useful info and must have taken you ages to write! This has really helped me decide on Westminster as a choice. One thing I'm still concerned about, though, is the expensiveness of London living- are there any budget food shops like Aldi/ASDA/Lidl etc anywhere nearby?

Also, congratulations on getting into Cambridge, that's amazing. :smile:

Hello

There are many Aldi/Lidl/Morrisons type supermarkets all over London so you will be able to reduce your costs by shopping in these budget shops. There are also many street markets that sell fruit and veg at very cheap prices.

Best wishes

Kim
Reply 8
Original post by University of Westminster
Hello

There are many Aldi/Lidl/Morrisons type supermarkets all over London so you will be able to reduce your costs by shopping in these budget shops. There are also many street markets that sell fruit and veg at very cheap prices.

Best wishes

Kim

Thank you very much; that is great to know!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending