The Student Room Group

Barts and the London- 2017 Entry Applicants for Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Hi I am preparing to apply for Barts A100

My school did not offer As levels so my predicted A2 A*A*A* and FSMQ maths gives me a UCAS tariff of 178. I wonder if this is competitive enough?

My UKCAT score is 723 SJ band 2

Do I have a good chance of interview?

Thanks
Reply 81
Hi everyone,

I'm now a first year medic at Barts and the London and I'm absolutely loving it so far! If you have any questions about the course feel free to message me (please PM me if you want a response as I don't really check this thread). The application process is a bit different for you so I can't really answer questions on if your tariff is high enough or anything but feel free to ask anything about the course! :smile:

Good luck with the process and hopefully I'll see some of you at Barts for the interviews!
Original post by 7me7
Hi everyone,

I'm now a first year medic at Barts and the London and I'm absolutely loving it so far! If you have any questions about the course feel free to message me (please PM me if you want a response as I don't really check this thread). The application process is a bit different for you so I can't really answer questions on if your tariff is high enough or anything but feel free to ask anything about the course! :smile:

Good luck with the process and hopefully I'll see some of you at Barts for the interviews!

Hey!
First of all, congratulations on getting into Barts :h:
But I'd like to ask, what is the PBL like here? Does it feel like there's too much of it, or is there a sufficient amount? Or even too little?
What's it like studying in London?
Pros and Cons of Barts?

Thanks for answering any of my questions :h:
Hi everyone!
Do I stand a chance for interview with 660 average and Band 2 UKCAT and A*A*A*A prediction at A2 and an A at AS?
You guys are all doing so well!
I got Bs in my AS and predicted AAA for Alevel :/
UKCAT: 637 and band 2 for sj
ngl initially i was wasn't very serious about applying to med but i thought to go for it in the end and see what happens.
Do I stand a chance??? I know it's very risky to apply with these grades this year, but just asking...
Original post by mithi98
Hi everyone!
Do I stand a chance for interview with 660 average and Band 2 UKCAT and A*A*A*A prediction at A2 and an A at AS?

I think so, because your predictions look great. Don't mark my words though, I'm just assuming. Besides, no harm in trying.
Hey guys, I was very excited about applying to Barts but somebody told me not to apply unless you have ukcat over 700... I have 683, AA at AS, Predicted A*A*, a 2.1 in Law and French and AABB in the A levels I took before my first degree.. what do you guys think??
Reply 87
Original post by mbradley42
Hey guys, I was very excited about applying to Barts but somebody told me not to apply unless you have ukcat over 700... I have 683, AA at AS, Predicted A*A*, a 2.1 in Law and French and AABB in the A levels I took before my first degree.. what do you guys think??

I would definitely not apply for the graduate course since the competition is crazy and you really do need 700+ to be competitive. I would suggest looking at the 5 year course if that's something you'd consider. HOWEVER! Rumour has it that Barts favour graduates with first class degrees so that in itself is quite a risk. Contact the admissions to see what their views are on your stats

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AmaduM
I would definitely not apply for the graduate course since the competition is crazy and you really do need 700+ to be competitive. I would suggest looking at the 5 year course if that's something you'd consider. HOWEVER! Rumour has it that Barts favour graduates with first class degrees so that in itself is quite a risk. Contact the admissions to see what their views are on your stats

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I'll definitely get in touch with them! I'm not even considering the graduate course as my undergrad is in a humanity so I doubt I could compete with even a 2.1 in a science discipline never mind a first. Any ideas of good places for me to apply?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 89
Hello. I'd like to know what are my chances of getting an interview at QMUL with a UCAS tariff of 208 and a UKCAT of 690 with a band 3.
Reply 90
Hi all!

I'm a grad hoping to apply to the 5 year course.
Anyone know if we have to meet the GCSE requirement of:
"grades AAABBB (777666 for GSCEs taken from 2015) or above (in any order) to include Biology (or Human Biology), Chemistry, English Language, and Mathematics (or Additional Mathematics or Statistics)".???

Please help as this is the only thing holding my application back :/
Hiya,
I am thinking about applying to barts for medicine. I've seen some prospective students post their credentials on student room but they all seem to have ridiculously high ucas tariff (600+) and high ukcat (750+) so i'm not sure if i will make the cut for the interviews.
A-Level grades (achieved): Biology - A*, Chem - A, Physics - A, Maths A*, EPQ B. Ucas tariff is about 228, i think.
Average ukcat score: 703, band 2 for sjt.
I went to secondary school in India and i got all A*s and As for my gcse equivalent.

I have done work exp and volunteered in a hospital for quite a while. I'm on gap year and recently got a job offer after an interview for an internship (9 months) in nhs. So I will probably start working there once i get my references. Do you think i stand a chance for QMUL?
(edited 7 years ago)
yeah i have bbb predictions and 690 ukcat and im applying to oxford for med. im too good for barts innit..... nha im having a mental breakdown
Reply 93
Original post by mbradley42
Thanks, I'll definitely get in touch with them! I'm not even considering the graduate course as my undergrad is in a humanity so I doubt I could compete with even a 2.1 in a science discipline never mind a first. Any ideas of good places for me to apply?

Have a look at Sheffield, Manchester, Newcastle. Aberdeen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would 3A* predictions, A at AS and 650 ukcat Band 2 be realistic for barts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by Gogregg
Hey!
First of all, congratulations on getting into Barts :h:
But I'd like to ask, what is the PBL like here? Does it feel like there's too much of it, or is there a sufficient amount? Or even too little?
What's it like studying in London?
Pros and Cons of Barts?

Thanks for answering any of my questions :h:

Hi :smile:

I really like PBL, you can discuss stuff in a group and it helps you to learn new info and reinforce prior knowledge. It's great, you can work together and it's been really helpful for me so far! And it's interesting!

I think there's a good amount of PBL- 2 hours per week in FunMed (first module of year 1) and 4 hours per week in the other modules. You feedback from the previous scenario and then start the next one in the 2 hours.

London is wonderful, there are so many activities you can get involved in and you can get to loads of different places easily. You get to see loads of different conditions in the area around Barts that you probably wouldn't all see in other places in the country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 7me7
Hi :smile:

I really like PBL, you can discuss stuff in a group and it helps you to learn new info and reinforce prior knowledge. It's great, you can work together and it's been really helpful for me so far! And it's interesting!

I think there's a good amount of PBL- 2 hours per week in FunMed (first module of year 1) and 4 hours per week in the other modules. You feedback from the previous scenario and then start the next one in the 2 hours.

London is wonderful, there are so many activities you can get involved in and you can get to loads of different places easily. You get to see loads of different conditions in the area around Barts that you probably wouldn't all see in other places in the country.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for answering! It's very helpful :h:

I've actually decided that I'm definitely applying now, I thought I was going to for a while but I had to make sure, and after the open day today, I'm definitely applying! :biggrin:
Do you guys think I should apply here? I went to the open day today and I really liked it.
Since they put a 50:50 weighting on the UKCAT and Tariff I will put my stats here for it.

Predicted: A*AA (at A2) = 152 points
Achieved: A (A2 Maths completed early) = 48 points.
Total Tariff = 200 points
UKCAT: 2110 points (Average of 703 points) SJT Band 2.

Hi should I apply to barts?

A levels (achieved): A*AA
AS Levels: AAAA
GCSE: 8A* and A in chemistry and 2 other A grades
UKCAT: 1870 sjt score: band 3 (**** verbal reasoning and sjt)

1 week in GP, 1 week in hospital, 1 week in pharmacy, first aid cert. arranging to work for st john's ambulance in gap year, volunteer at care home, volunteer as childrens hospice and its charity shop, 1 year working as a maths and english tutor for kids, can speak 2 other languages.

Does it look decent enough to get an interview? because I don't really understand how barts chooses people for interview. thanks

Original post by valencia9000

Hi should I apply to barts?

A levels (achieved): A*AA
AS Levels: AAAA
GCSE: 8A* and A in chemistry and 2 other A grades
UKCAT: 1870 sjt score: band 3 (**** verbal reasoning and sjt)

1 week in GP, 1 week in hospital, 1 week in pharmacy, first aid cert. arranging to work for st john's ambulance in gap year, volunteer at care home, volunteer as childrens hospice and its charity shop, 1 year working as a maths and english tutor for kids, can speak 2 other languages.

Does it look decent enough to get an interview? because I don't really understand how barts chooses people for interview. thanks

Barts select 50:50 by UCAS Tariff and UKCAT.
Your UKCAT is about average, so you would need a very good UCAS Tariff to make up for it. You can find out your Tariff here: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/calculator
Remember, they count all qualifications that increase your Tariff, even if they don't go towards your offer (e.g. general studies, music examinations).

EDIT: Also, your SJT is used in interview. You get 2 extra points for Band 1 and 1 extra point for Band 2. You don't get rewarded for Band 3 or 4.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending