The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

people keep asking are you external or internal this campaign is external wether you are in a civil service post or not your treated as external. the internal thread is farther down the main page
Anyone who put Birmingham as their first choice heard anything back yet?
Original post by LolaJays
I also applied for Bristol 😊

So I'm not the only one! Well good luck :smile:

Are you thinking of relocating to Bristol or are you local? I have only visited it a couple of times (I live relatively close to it though), but everyone always tells me it's an awesome city.
I got to 25 for the numerical and finished the verbal reasoning. I have since heard from them that I passed my tests and my application has been progressed.

I am now keeping my fingers crossed, good luck everyone :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 164
Original post by Priscal
I got to 25 for the numerical and finished the verbal reasoning. I have since heard from them that I passed my tests and my application has been progressed.

I am now keeping my fingers crossed, good luck everyone :smile:

It seems like most of us ran out of time for the numerical tests, very difficult I thought. I also got to 25
Reply 165
I only managed to do 19 in the numerical test, totally ran out of time. I found the verbal a lot easier and managed to finish that.

I applied for the London post, thankfully I have passed the tests but still worried about increased competition due to higher salary. Realistically though i couldnt apply anywhere else as I can't relocate.
Yes it was difficult to get through the 30 questions, I was confident with the 25 I managed to do. Good luck to you!
Original post by Vitell
I only managed to do 19 in the numerical test, totally ran out of time. I found the verbal a lot easier and managed to finish that.

I applied for the London post, thankfully I have passed the tests but still worried about increased competition due to higher salary. Realistically though i couldnt apply anywhere else as I can't relocate.

Yes it was difficult to get through the 30 questions, I was confident with the 25 I managed to do. Good luck to you!

I applied for the two locations in Scotland to widen my chances. I would never consider relocation too if I didn't have a choice. Best of luck!
Reply 168
Hey
I applied for Birmingham but I an on hold as other people scored higher then me on the online test wbu?
I work in the civil service at the minute and have done for 8 years. I still have no idea how they mark competencies. I applied for the February intake and got 6 on comps didn't pass the interview, I applied in June got marked a 2 on the same comp. applied this time heard back that one of the top scoring candidates on the test. Just waiting comps now. Does anybody know where to access your application as it wasn't the usual civil service way?
Reply 170
Original post by Nobby054
I work in the civil service at the minute and have done for 8 years. I still have no idea how they mark competencies. I applied for the February intake and got 6 on comps didn't pass the interview, I applied in June got marked a 2 on the same comp. applied this time heard back that one of the top scoring candidates on the test. Just waiting comps now. Does anybody know where to access your application as it wasn't the usual civil service way?

I'm not sure, wasn't aware we could
Original post by hapeaman
So I'm not the only one! Well good luck :smile:

Are you thinking of relocating to Bristol or are you local? I have only visited it a couple of times (I live relatively close to it though), but everyone always tells me it's an awesome city.

I am just under an hour away from Bristol so would not relocate. I would either go via train or drive.
Where abouts are you?
Good luck 😊
I'm in the opposite boat. I would relocate no matter what place I'm given, although a Manchester or Liverpool placement would allow me to live at home if I wished. I want to move to a more urban setting and there isn't a great deal keeping me in the country (my family are mostly in Liverpool, no partner or pets, my current close friends are scattered anyway). I would only refuse a placement in London.
Reply 173
Hello all!!

Finally found this thread, I too have been successful so far in my application for the Bristol branch. Without trying to sound bigheaded I found the word task a lot easier than the numeracy one, that really tested the old noggin for a while before it finally clicked together. Not sure how many I got in total (didn't think it was that many to be honest) but clearly enough to be a top scorer.

Best of luck for those who have also applied for Bristol, though do be warned that I'm tracking you all down one by one to ensure I get a job :P
Reply 174
I applied to birmingham but I am on hold for my test as it appears there were other ppl who scored higher.
Reply 176
I need some advice. I put Stratford down as my first choice with Birmingham as my second. I initially wanted to relocate to London/Stratford but due to personel reasons I need to remain nearer to Birmingham. Do you think if I got the job, I will possible to change the location?
Reply 177
Bristol. Me too. Fingers crossed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by raykage
I need some advice. I put Stratford down as my first choice with Birmingham as my second. I initially wanted to relocate to London/Stratford but due to personel reasons I need to remain nearer to Birmingham. Do you think if I got the job, I will possible to change the location?

Wouldn't it be better to email them now and ask to change and explain your change in circumstances? because Birmingham is likely to be less competitive than London.

Not sure though, I haven't applied but am keeping a close eye on this as I intend to apply next time:smile:
Original post by raykage

The candidate pack says that they consider your first choice first and then offer you other choices if it has filled up. However, my understanding from my friend in HMRC is that relocation is easy and the first 6-8 months involve a lot of e-learning/ week long sessions at large training locations (Newcastle seems to be the big one). I imagine it's why place numbers are so variable, as people transfer when a recruitment drive happens and they have to work out where the staff are actually needed. Although, if I'm honest, my advice is to phone (not email) the HMRC/Manpower human resourcing team and see what they say.

For me, I'm happy wherever they want me and I can't foresee asking for a transfer, although I would move where HMRC needs me.

Latest

Trending

Trending