The Student Room Group

A level revision

Hi! So I've just started a levels & I'm wanting to start revising already. I've got the motivation but has anyone got any tips of how to revise a level subjects? I'm doing geography, English lit & Lang & media! I thought about starting a revision folder for my subjects & me constantly updating them throughout the year by making my own fact files and things in a fun way, or is this just silly? I'd appreciate any advice, thank you😬

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J0333
Hi! So I've just started a levels & I'm wanting to start revising already. I've got the motivation but has anyone got any tips of how to revise a level subjects? I'm doing geography, English lit & Lang & media! I thought about starting a revision folder for my subjects & me constantly updating them throughout the year by making my own fact files and things in a fun way, or is this just silly? I'd appreciate any advice, thank you😬

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello :h:

Here are my general revision/study tips:

For each subject, get a copy of the specification, so that you can tick off each topic as you learn it.

Make revision notes as you are going along and update them regularly, in whatever format you like best, e.g. mind maps, flow charts, bullet points etc.

A great way to revise is to have a go at past paper questions for each subject and compare your answers with the official mark schemes. This way you can identify any weak areas and check that you understand the material properly.

Take regular breaks from revision so you don't get overwhelmed with information. Try not to make the breaks too long though so that you can keep your motivation going and stay in the right frame of mind to revise.

If you're able to stick to one, I'd recommend creating a revision timetable with the subjects and topics you need to revise. Allocate time to revise each topic and to have breaks, e.g. revise for 45 minutes with a 15 minute break, then repeat. Alternatively, if allocating revision to specific times is too stressful, you can simply allocate topics to different days, for example topics a and b to Tuesday, c, d and e to Wednesday etc, so that you can still keep your revision structured without worrying about having to stick to fixed times.

If there are any subject workshops and/or revision sessions available to you, then I would definitely recommend using them! If you don't understand a topic, it's important that you ask your teacher for help as soon as you can, rather than waiting until you come to revise. If you wait until you start revision, your teachers will likely be busy helping other students and may not have much time to help you.

If you miss any lessons, make sure that you find out what you missed so that you don't fall too far behind.

In terms of how much to revise, I would say to revise 'little and often' from an early stage rather than leaving revision later and trying to revise in large blocks, to avoid becoming overwhelmed. I would allocate a certain amount of time each week to go over material you've covered in class to make sure you understand it before moving on. By doing this, you can be sure you already understand the material, so when you come to revise closer to exams, you are already comfortable with the content and you won't need to 're-learn' everything - you can simply read over the material to refresh your memory and then get started on past papers.

When you should start revising depends on how much material you need to revise, but generally, the earlier the better - you don't want to start too late and find you don't have enough time to go over everything!

I hope these are helpful for you, and good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hello :h:

Here are my general revision/study tips:

For each subject, get a copy of the specification, so that you can tick off each topic as you learn it.

Make revision notes as you are going along and update them regularly, in whatever format you like best, e.g. mind maps, flow charts, bullet points etc.

A great way to revise is to have a go at past paper questions for each subject and compare your answers with the official mark schemes. This way you can identify any weak areas and check that you understand the material properly.

Take regular breaks from revision so you don't get overwhelmed with information. Try not to make the breaks too long though so that you can keep your motivation going and stay in the right frame of mind to revise.

If you're able to stick to one, I'd recommend creating a revision timetable with the subjects and topics you need to revise. Allocate time to revise each topic and to have breaks, e.g. revise for 45 minutes with a 15 minute break, then repeat. Alternatively, if allocating revision to specific times is too stressful, you can simply allocate topics to different days, for example topics a and b to Tuesday, c, d and e to Wednesday etc, so that you can still keep your revision structured without worrying about having to stick to fixed times.

If there are any subject workshops and/or revision sessions available to you, then I would definitely recommend using them! If you don't understand a topic, it's important that you ask your teacher for help as soon as you can, rather than waiting until you come to revise. If you wait until you start revision, your teachers will likely be busy helping other students and may not have much time to help you.

If you miss any lessons, make sure that you find out what you missed so that you don't fall too far behind.

In terms of how much to revise, I would say to revise 'little and often' from an early stage rather than leaving revision later and trying to revise in large blocks, to avoid becoming overwhelmed. I would allocate a certain amount of time each week to go over material you've covered in class to make sure you understand it before moving on. By doing this, you can be sure you already understand the material, so when you come to revise closer to exams, you are already comfortable with the content and you won't need to 're-learn' everything - you can simply read over the material to refresh your memory and then get started on past papers.

When you should start revising depends on how much material you need to revise, but generally, the earlier the better - you don't want to start too late and find you don't have enough time to go over everything!

I hope these are helpful for you, and good luck! :smile:

Hey, thanks for this thread I've also started A-Levels can you please reply to my newest post I'm a little bit confused on alevels..
Original post by 0lut0
Hey, thanks for this thread I've also started A-Levels can you please reply to my newest post I'm a little bit confused on alevels..

Hiya! I'm at university now, so unfortunately I'm not totally sure what's going on with the new system of A Levels. Hopefully though someone who does know will be able to help :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by 0lut0

Which a levels did you choose?☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending