The Student Room Group

Accents

Hey guys. Hope you all having a good day! :smile:

I need to carry out some research about accents (it's for English) Would it be possible if you could take some time out and answer some of these questions? Thanks!

1.What accent do you like the most and why?

2.What accent do you not like at all and why?

3.Have you ever changed your accent at a specific situation? Why?

It would help a lot if the accent is in the UK. Thank you! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ak143244

I need to carry out some research about accents (it's for English) Would it be possible if you could take some time out and answer some of these questions? Thanks!

1. I like the Edinburgh accent the most, personally, because I think it's very soft compared to some of the harsher scottish accents (e.g: Glaswegian) and Scotland is my favourite place to holiday to really

2. I dislike the scouse accent the most (apologies to all scousers on TSR) because I find the accent to be quite high pitched and somewhat grating

3. Not consciously, although some people have said that I sound posh/ southern and others say I sound northern so maybe?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Yeah mee too, I'm not a huge fan of the scouse accent. I find it very hard to understand :frown:

My favourite accent has to be northern Scottish (Inverness area) as that's where my family come from and it just sounds lovely and like home to me because my dad's family have them and I love visiting Scotland and them.
Essex is my least favourite (sorry to all with an Essex accent!!!) because it sounds so weird and awful and like they are all chewing gum and it just grates on me.
When I'm speaking to Scottish family, I pick up a slight accent and because my default voice is posh Londoner, it always feels weird. I sometimes do a northern Scottish accent for fun as it makes me happy, and it's either that or Chelsea Londoner.
Reply 4
Original post by eruditeprincess
My favourite accent has to be northern Scottish (Inverness area) as that's where my family come from and it just sounds lovely and like home to me because my dad's family have them and I love visiting Scotland and them.
Essex is my least favourite (sorry to all with an Essex accent!!!) because it sounds so weird and awful and like they are all chewing gum and it just grates on me.
When I'm speaking to Scottish family, I pick up a slight accent and because my default voice is posh Londoner, it always feels weird. I sometimes do a northern Scottish accent for fun as it makes me happy, and it's either that or Chelsea Londoner.

Ah okay, interesting :smile:
Thank you!

Spoiler

1) Quite like Scottish accents(I've got family in Glasgow though so don't need an interpreter:smile:).

2) None that I dislike, but I piss myself sometimes when I hear the South-West "ooh arh". :biggrin:

3) My relatives from "darn sarf" said that my accent sometimes sounds a lot broader when I speak to other Northerners.
Reply 6
Original post by JamesN88
1) Quite like Scottish accents(I've got family in Glasgow though so don't need an interpreter:smile:).

2) None that I dislike, but I piss myself sometimes when I hear the South-West "ooh arh". :biggrin:

3) My relatives from "darn sarf" said that my accent sometimes sounds a lot broader when I speak to other Northerners.

Okay thanks
Reply 7

West coast Scots. Somehow it's very reassuring. Quite fond of Geordie and Glaswegian having lived in both Newcastle and Glasgow.

2.What accent do you not like at all and why

Birmingham/Black country, though I'm not so keen on Scouse either. Too nasal and whiny.

I think we all do to a certain extent to fit in - or stand out. I dumbed down my accent when I got to university as people took the mick out of it but when my aunt rings my kids know instantly as my posh accent automatically reappears.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
West coast Scots. Somehow it's very reassuring.

Birmingham/Black country, though I'm not so keen on Scouse either. Too nasal and whiny.

I think we all do to a certain extent to fit in - or stand out. I dumbed down my accent when I got to university as people took the mick out of it but when my aunt rings my kids know instantly as my posh accent automatically reappears.

What do you mean by black country? I've never heard of that :/

Oh okay, yeah I also speak at a 'posh' tone when it comes to family memebers such as aunties and uncles.
Reply 9
Black Country - round Wolverhampton, so Brummie but worse!
Reply 10
Original post by Compost
Black Country - round Wolverhampton, so Brummie but worse!

Oh okay lol thanks :smile:

i like the australian accent ngl, i doa pretty gd one :smile:

i hate cheryl coles accent,idk wht it is? newcastle? yh tht one LMAO

nope, accent stays the same 24/7

Spoiler

1. nigeria
2. bengal
3. depends on the weather
Reply 13
1 - Scottish or geordie

2 - Brummie or scouse

3 - Telling a joke
1) American, I have no real idea why, probably because I haven't heard it a lot.
2) Scouse, I find it quite funny that I'm applying to Liverpool uni too.
3) I don't, but apparently I have a normal british accent around my friends but as soon as I talk to my parents, even on the phone and in english, my accent changes suddenly to a pakistani one (parents are pakistani). I didn't pick up on it until my mates recorded me speaking to my family haha
1. Manc accent is 👌👌👌

2. Joining in with the scouser hating here. Sorry!

3. Only when Im taking the piss

Posted from TSR Mobile
1: Australian and Scottish.
2: Irish and Cockney
3: Maybe, American once or twice. I don't know why though.
Reply 17
Original post by mariam687
i like the australian accent ngl, i doa pretty gd one :smile:

i hate cheryl coles accent,idk wht it is? newcastle? yh tht one LMAO

nope, accent stays the same 24/7

Spoiler

Original post by bunnyhop12
1. nigeria
2. bengal

Original post by bunnyhop12
1. nigeria
2. bengal

Original post by viffer
1 - Scottish or geordie

2 - Brummie or scouse

3 - Telling a joke

Original post by Ninjakam119
1) American, I have no real idea why, probably because I haven't heard it a lot.
2) Scouse, I find it quite funny that I'm applying to Liverpool uni too.
3) I don't, but apparently I have a normal british accent around my friends but as soon as I talk to my parents, even on the phone and in english, my accent changes suddenly to a pakistani one (parents are pakistani). I didn't pick up on it until my mates recorded me speaking to my family haha

Original post by moshe015
1. Manc accent is 👌👌👌

2. Joining in with the scouser hating here. Sorry!

3. Only when Im taking the piss

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Saba XD
1: Australian and Scottish.
2: Irish and Cockney
3: Maybe, American once or twice. I don't know why though.

Thanks everyone!

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest