The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Who'd be the most likely to be a catfish on this thread?

I know everyone is thinking of the same person.
Original post by James.Carnell
Hi, unrelated to this but I want to get your thoughts on gaps on the cv. The thing is I have a 9 month gap now because I have made the money necessary to not jump into any old role. But how would employers take this? I mean its like they expect you to have no gaps no matter the circumstance.

I don't think they'd be that bothered, they'd just want to know you'd done something besides watch Netflix all day. If all else fails just say you went on holiday for a bit and you're taking the time to select your next role (shows you aren't desperate and looking for anything).

Original post by zKlown
@SA-1 @Kenan and Kel @bammy jastard 27 and all other sharp suit wearing dons.

What's the best place to buy an affordable but decent slim fit suit?

I was thinking Next.

Next suits are extremely good for the price, ignore the person saying they're "poor quality". I own a lot of suits including two from Next and there's little difference between those and the ones I own from Ted Baker & Hugo Boss.

Moss can be very good for the price too.

Original post by trapking
I'm not saying only high quality suits give you a good fit and neither did I say having a high quality suit guarantees you anything. My point is when you want to make it/get noticed by prestigious brands & attract opportunity e.g. get promoted to say become a director or manager how you look becomes very important. You won't see top people at Goldman Sachs poorly dressed..

Nobody on this thread is going to be interviewing for a management position at Goldman anytime soon.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9342
Original post by AR_95

Other than you know who im pretty sure swirly is a catfish.
-I agree with you that fit is important.

-I'm not saying only high quality suits give you a good fit and neither did I say having a high quality suit guarantees you anything. My point is when you want to make it/get noticed by prestigious brands & attract opportunity e.g. get promoted to say become a director or manager how you look becomes very important. You won't see top people at Goldman Sachs poorly dressed.

-I think it's worth it to spend less than £200 on a suit that looks a lot better than a £80 you will get from next. The difference in look and quality is very noticeable...but anyway to each their own.

@SA-1 Usually a full Windsor knot, not a huge fan of French cuffs tbh and double monk straps are my favourite shoe.

I worked in the biggest infrastructure group in the world. The CIO and Director wore suits from M&S, self-confirmed. I wore a much more expensive DKNY suit. You just end up looking like an arrogant tosser and they think "Who does this graduate think he is?". You can try to behave in a modest way etc but they will label you as arrogant anyway... that is the nature of people when they see flashy things. You have to remember that most people are poor despite their salaries, senior managers and the like. They are the people that don't have £10 to spare and are always complaining about their finances. They are the people in the circa 50% that don't have £100 in savings. When a young grad is walking around in a £300-400+ suit then they just get bitter feelings and they project that onto you.

That is reality unless you are working at the top end of Goldmans... which I doubt is where people in this thread would be.
Where do you guys stand on formal shoes? I've always worn brogues (black or brown depending on suit/occasion).
Original post by sr90
Where do you guys stand on formal shoes? I've always worn brogues (black or brown depending on suit/occasion).

Same, have a pair of long pointy ones but dont usually wear em. I'd invest in a pair of Doc Martens brogues if I were you. Best decision I ever made, honestly the most comfortable shoe, formal or otherwise I've ever worn tbh.
Next suits bang imo, Zara do nice suits occasionally too.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
Next suits bang imo, Zara do nice suits occasionally too.

you ever see the Zidane range at Zara? Fire imo
Original post by Zerforax
Go to the US and buy clothes.. so cheap.

I bought a suit for $250. Except it was buy 1 get 2 free (weirdest offer ever right?) :biggrin:

I did when I went there this summer :biggrin:
I will try Zara and Next for my suit.

Thank you everyone who participated, pictures will be posted of me wearing said suit.

Mans will be well angry.

Catch @trapking on a cliff edge at the sight of my sharp suit.

Original post by AR_95

I did have reservations about Depleted, but then he started sending me pictures of himself asking me to rate his beard out of 10.
Original post by zKlown
I will try Zara and Next for my suit.

Thank you everyone who participated, pictures will be posted of me wearing said suit.

Mans will be well angry.

Catch @trapking on a cliff edge at the sight of my sharp suit.

pics or didn't happen xx
pics or didn't happen xx

What kind of music do you like?

Post videos.
Original post by zKlown
What kind of music do you like?

Post videos.

I like a variety of music but rn i'm listening to this (one of my favs is r&b)....

[video="youtube;iF_JBlSh_G8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF_JBlSh_G8&list=FLvNQ2CDru8XdxmaR-k_3r5A&index=13[/video]
I like a variety of music but rn i'm listening to this (one of my favs is r&b)....

[video="youtube;iF_JBlSh_G8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF_JBlSh_G8&list=FLvNQ2CDru8XdxmaR-k_3r5A&index=13[/video]

Thoughts

Original post by zKlown
Thoughts

First one is okay....but when it comes to trap & grime music my man ReekzMB kills it everytime!

2nd one lol wack lyrics.

3rd nah fammm pack your bags.

Bangers:

[video="youtube;305Zz3EfHlI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=305Zz3EfHlI[/video]

(edited 7 years ago)
@Rk2k14

Our brother @trapking just dissed Tribe.
Reply 9356
Original post by zKlown
@Rk2k14

Our brother @trapking just dissed Tribe.

Cleary A Tribe Called Quest isn't sharp enough for the likes of TK.
Reply 9357
Lol Trapking listens to meek mills.
Original post by Zürich
I really think Lucio and me leaving, killed TSR Football.

Mainly Lucio

I've never seen him offer any insight at all, he knows nothing about football and had probably been less games than fingers. He offers no jokes. He's just here, festering.

That read like you saying Lucio leaving killed TSR
Not sure about lucio causing any damage, but the misc has been dead reacently. Except for the recent burst of suit talk, its quiet on here. Used to wake up (night time over here is evening in the UK) and there were a few pages of crap to read through on my phone on the way to work.. but these days if its normally just barely a few posts.