The Student Room Group

Girl, 8, Wants Gender Bender Clothing

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/29/girl-8-goes-on-epic-rant-over-tescos-sexist-childrens-clothes-6159705/

Everybody knows it's wrong to separate male and female anything. In this particular case, it's male and female clothing.

The girl in this video, who is probably the mouthpiece of her feminist mother, is insisting that the boys clothes are amazing and the girls clothes are ****. She envies the boys cloths because on them you find the words "HERO" and "LET'S EXPLORE." Implies boys are more adventurous.

The girls clothes have "HEY" and "HELLO BEAUTIFUL" on them. This implies girls like to say hello and call people beautiful. They might not enjoy doing this though. In fact I know plenty of girls who are downright horrible who would cringe at the thought of saying such things. Though I would not call them heroic.

Personally, I find it difficult to believe a person this age notices the marketing strategies of supermarkets. Very difficult. I'm thinking that much of the kak being said in this video is actually from her mother, and as such, I don't bear this young woman any ill-will.
What a bizarre thread title, suggesting that you really don't get something that is apparently obvious to an 8 year old. To summarise, she was pointing out that children shouldn't be forced into particular gender roles, with stereotypes reinforced by supermarket clothing ranges. If you don't believe that 8 year olds can have strong opinions, and that they are blind to the social stereotypes you clearly don't know many 8 yr olds.

Good luck to her. We've come a long way from when women were the property of their husbands and were thought not to be intelligent enough to graduate from university, but if you look at any toy or clothing aisle it is pretty obvious that artificial gender stereotypes are being imposed on children from an early age. For a child who wants to follow this path that's fine. For one who wants to challenge stereotypes the choice is far more limited. To call this 'gender bender' is not something I expected to read in the 21st Century.
Reply 2
Original post by Lit teacher
What a bizarre thread title, suggesting that you really don't get something that is apparently obvious to an 8 year old. To summarise, she was pointing out that children shouldn't be forced into particular gender roles, with stereotypes reinforced by supermarket clothing ranges. If you don't believe that 8 year olds can have strong opinions, and that they are blind to the social stereotypes you clearly don't know many 8 yr olds.

Good luck to her. We've come a long way from when women were the property of their husbands and were thought not to be intelligent enough to graduate from university, but if you look at any toy or clothing aisle it is pretty obvious that artificial gender stereotypes are being imposed on children from an early age. For a child who wants to follow this path that's fine. For one who wants to challenge stereotypes the choice is far more limited. To call this 'gender bender' is not something I expected to read in the 21st Century.

I propose that her views are not deduced from logic and reason, but are rather an emotional response to something else.

If you look closely, the girl is wearing a karate uniform. It's not uncommon for a girl to take up a martial art, but fighting is usually associated with men. Most playground fights are between boys. Or at least there were when I was in primary school.

I think it more likely that the girl has been insulted for the fact that she is a girl because she's taken up a so-called masculine hobby. It's to be expected, purely because of the gender stereotypes, that even though karate is self-defense and you can't reasonably expect anyone not to develop that area of themselves, she has not had very positive reactions from involving herself in such.

Having said that, though, to take it out on a few garments of clothing is stupid. The clothes do not maketh the man, as they say. Or woman, in this case. The video concludes with the girl in question choosing the green "HERO" t-shirt, but not before the mother positively reinforces her over-reaction by saying that she will definitely buy it for her. It's stupid.

But yeah, thank you for being very grown up about all this and not calling me ignorant. Your point about me not meeting many eight-year-olds is neither here nor there, but for what it's worth I can confidently say I've met one now in the shape of yourself. Take care.

And this girl is definitely a tomboy in the making. There's always been such women probably. This isn't progress.
(edited 7 years ago)

Many 8 year olds believe in Father Christmas, so being able to "get" what 8yr olds "get" is hardly a good measure of whether a person is thinking logically or not.
I don't actually give a crap about the subject of this thread but Jesus, the lack of understanding of the most basic logic on this site is really extraordinary.
Reply 4
Original post by KingBradly
Many 8 year olds believe in Father Christmas, so being able to "get" what 8yr olds "get" is hardly a good measure of whether a person is thinking logically or not.
I don't actually give a crap about the subject of this thread but Jesus, the lack of understanding of the most basic logic on this site is really extraordinary.

Many people are praising this child for being intelligent and being able to figure things out. However, the main component of her rant is that the t-shirt saying "HEY" doesn't have a deeper meaning or some kind of inspirational slogan.

If you look at her reaction when she's offered the t-shirt, she really doesn't give a ****.

This girl's mother has definitely scripted and staged this.
Original post by KingBradly
Many 8 year olds believe in Father Christmas, so being able to "get" what 8yr olds "get" is hardly a good measure of whether a person is thinking logically or not...
lack of understanding of the most basic logic on this site is really extraordinary.

Where did "logic" come from? As far as I am aware this is more a case of emotional intelligence and social awareness rather than some sort of IQ test. There is no "logic" to either argument. The 8 year old girl understands that people are sometimes forced to conform to gender stereotypes. Selling clothing like that in the video reinforces those stereotypes. This girl apparently wants people to make their own mind up about how they want to be. The OP doesn't seem to understand this and used the term 'gender bender'. I would suggest that this shows a complete lack of understanding of what the girl was actually trying to say.
If you are looking for logic, a debate about social stereotyping is probably not the best place to start, but this does not negate the girl's point of view.
Reply 6
Where did "logic" come from? As far as I am aware this is more a case of emotional intelligence and social awareness rather than some sort of IQ test. There is no "logic" to either argument. The 8 year old girl understands that people are sometimes forced to conform to gender stereotypes. Selling clothing like that in the video reinforces those stereotypes. This girl apparently wants people to make their own mind up about how they want to be. The OP doesn't seem to understand this and used the term 'gender bender'. I would suggest that this shows a complete lack of understanding of what the girl was actually trying to say.
If you are looking for logic, a debate about social stereotyping is probably not the best place to start, but this does not negate the girl's point of view.

He was talking about the questionable logic found in your post. Quit trying to shift the blame onto the subject matter.
Original post by Fort Austin
He was talking about the questionable logic found in your post. Quit trying to shift the blame onto the subject matter.

You'll need to read back and explain this to me then. I don't recall trying to use logic to refute the point. IIRC the essence was that this young girl understood why it is wrong to coerce children to follow stereotypes and that you didn't seem to get this point. It's a fact that the you didn't understand her argument and it's a matter of opinion whether she was right or not. If you can find a process of logic in there, questionable or otherwise, I'd be interested to read it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Of course boys' clothes are superior to girls': they have actual pockets. I've got a pair of trousers with more pocket-space in them than my girlfriend has in all of her trousers combined (tbf they're a pair of work trousers that allow you to carry the equivalent of a small toolbox, but you get my point).

I reckon that, if someone bothered to do a survey, you'd find women in general are much more pissed off about the lack of decent pocket-space than they are by whatever is written on the clothing.
I imagined that you meant clothes like this:

You'll need to read back and explain this to me then. I don't recall trying to use logic to refute the point. IIRC the essence was that this young girl understood why it is wrong to coerce children to follow stereotypes and that you didn't seem to get this point. It's a fact that the you didn't understand her argument and it's a matter of opinion whether she was right or not. If you can find a process of logic in there, questionable or otherwise, I'd be interested to read it.

You didn't use logic. You tried to apply your own faulty logic to the argument which was an Ad hominem. A logical fallacy by saying an 8-year-old understands something that I don't. To imply I'd been bested by an 8-year-old is insulting, and a shaming tactic that is typical of a feminist.

This is indeed about social and emotional intelligence. Marketing companies will understand emotional intelligence better than you or your fellow feminists ever will. Most men would not be particularly enthralled if Rimmel London decided men were now their primary target market for lipstick. Perhaps "gender stereotypes" are, in fact, what people decide to spend their money on? Supply usually meets demand and you can't disregard the concept of free will. Who are you to tell people what to spend their money on? It would behoove the parent in this video, who is using her daughter as a proxy, to teach her that instead of encouraging her to become a tomboy just to make a point.

The girl has been briefed before this video. Her mother is a feminist and she has used her daughter because the message carries more clout coming from one so young. It's cute at the moment but this will get really boring, really ****ing fast. I have to say, this isn't healthy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending