The Student Room Group

Which is the easiest college to get into in Cambridge to study engineering?

In particular, I'm undecided between these:
-Churchill
-Downing
-St. John's
-Corpus Christi
-Jesus
-Queens'
None. Pick the one you like most. If you want more info on what it's like at each college check out applytocambridge.com :smile:
I'm sure they don't have all the same difficulty
Original post by gabrieleoliaro

Yes they do. Colleges will pick the best from who applied to them and from the Winter Pool. Just because you applied to an under subscribed college doesn't increase your chances because they'll just pick people from the winter pool instead of picking worse people

Posted from TSR Mobile

They have a moderation system (pooling) to ensure the university as a whole get the strongest students regardless of which college they apply to.
So if you're good enough, you get in, though it may not be at the college you apply to. If you're not good enough, you'll be rejected even if you applied to a seemingly less competitive college because they'd just reject weaker direct applicants to their college and get stronger ones from the pool.
All the admission tutor can see the whole field of applicants to all colleges from the earliest stage of assessment process, so they know how strong/weak their direct applicants are in comparison to all other applicants.

Please read "About Colleges" in this post and all,the links.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3733847

Also this.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/colleges/choosing-a-college
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5

Some colleges, notably Christ's and to an extent Peterhouse, include a STEP requirement in their Engineering offer (specifically a 1 in STEP I) - so yes they are more "difficult".

BUT what it actually means is they are easier to get an offer (they give slightly more offers than other colleges), but harder to achieve it (because STEP is quite hard). It's swings and roundabouts and the overall acceptance rate is not siginifcantly different to the average across the course.

It's one of the few occasions when playing the "college stats game" on admissions can make a little sense - but only if you are reasonably confident with your maths... which TBF you would need to be to do engineering at Cambridge anyway. :wink:

The latest insightful info from someone who's actually in charge of admission. . :wink:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4345342&p=67863558&page=2#post67863558
Relatively speaking, none of them are 'easier', but if you want to avoid STEP then don't apply to Christs - it's one of the more academic colleges as it is (check the Tomkins table out)
Reply 8
Original post by Reality Check
Relatively speaking, none of them are 'easier', but if you want to avoid STEP then don't apply to Christs - it's one of the more academic colleges as it is (check the Tomkins table out)

Or Peterhouse.

See my post above...
Original post by jneill
Or Peterhouse.

See my post above...

But Peterhouse is really worth the extra effort to get into...not that I'm biased in any way.
Reply 10
Original post by Reality Check
But Peterhouse is really worth the extra effort to get into...not that I'm biased in any way.

lol. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending